my next MJ project, this time a street truck

I bought it from a guy near me, took the engine out, and then gave it to another MJ owner for his project. I certainly hope it isn't white anymore, but if it is, I'm sure it won't be for long. :brows: It was pretty fugly.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Is it really as clean as it looks?! Where the heck did you find it?

if you think that one was clean you should see my 86. its next to mint. that one only had a few cosmetic problems but my 86 has none! all the 86 has is mech problems (if you count an oil leak as a mech problem).

and the black on black spray can idea that 87manche was talking bout i think, i did it on my 86. i should get some pics up maybe. i used gloss black for the truck and then used the metallic black for the side vents, wheels, camper shell, and the JEEP on the tailgate. turned out REALLY well for just rustoleum.

Brett - hope things are going well with that 88 still.

Alex

Alex

haven't had much time for it yet, but it's doing well. still on the lookout for some new doors. gonna make a roll-pan for the rear soon. rocker repair soon. paint soon.

Alex

haven't had much time for it yet, but it's doing well. still on the lookout for some new doors. gonna make a roll-pan for the rear soon. rocker repair soon. paint soon.

lol. it had a roll-pan when i bought it. too bad i didnt hang on to it when i took it off then you could have had it with the truck.

alex

Brett,

With respect to the rocker repair, bottom section of the bed sheetmetal on the bed (between the cab and the tire) is very close to the same contour as the edge of the rocker panel. Wouldn't be too hard to slice one out of a junkyard MJ bed to mate up with the area you have to repair.

lol this is wierd, ive been wanting to do a street mj for a while now but i don't want to do that to the 4x4. i think the MJ looks awesome as a street truck. I don't really go wheeling much since my truck is completly stock.

:-/ I would even consider trading my truck for a decent 2wd. Now that i think about it i think I'm gonna post that in the classifieds.

lol this is wierd, ive been wanting to do a street mj for a while now but i don't want to do that to the 4x4. i think the MJ looks awesome as a street truck. I don't really go wheeling much since my truck is completly stock.

:-/ I would even consider trading my truck for a decent 2wd. Now that i think about it i think I'm gonna post that in the classifieds.

You can just swap out the front axle and transmission for 2WD hardware.

• 2 weeks later...

you should swap in post '97 body panels and put in on some Moab rims. it'll be trick to those who know what there lookin at, as well as modern and clean to everyone else. maybe even put in the post '97 dash cluster to complete it. and don't do anything crazy with the paint, maybe even stick with a fresh coat of a stock Jeep color.

just my $0.02

you should swap in post '97 body panels and put in on some Moab rims. it'll be trick to those who know what there lookin at, as well as modern and clean to everyone else. maybe even put in the post '97 dash cluster to complete it. and don't do anything crazy with the paint, maybe even stick with a fresh coat of a stock Jeep color.

just my $0.02

I like your thinking, and if I found the 97+ stuff and Moab rims cheap I definitely would.

i seen the video for your shift kit, do youo have oone installed yet?

Yes, I have this attached to my floor shifter

dualbuttonthumb.jpg

and 2 of these next to it

LEDtoggleThumb.jpg

I haven't mounted the LEDs yet because I'm going to be changing some stuff on my dash, but once I get those mounted I will take some pictures of all of it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I'd like to see more on this subject. I wish there were a sub forum for it. I've been following "street jeep " topics on other forums but it's such a pain to try to search all the posts for somthing that can apply to lowering an mj. the rear seems like a quick fix with a lowering block but i'd like to know if there's more options for the front. and how to improve handling.

Has any one ever tried to use spindles from another more common (s-10 f150/ mustang...ect )vehicle where front brake upgrades are available? or would this require more fab than it would be worth .

I'd like to see more on this subject. I wish there were a sub forum for it. I've been following "street jeep " topics on other forums but it's such a pain to try to search all the posts for somthing that can apply to lowering an mj. the rear seems like a quick fix with a lowering block but i'd like to know if there's more options for the front. and how to improve handling.

Has any one ever tried to use spindles from another more common (s-10 f150/ mustang...ect )vehicle where front brake upgrades are available? or would this require more fab than it would be worth .

I think the most common reason these trucks are hardly lowered is the solid front axle used even in 2wd. With a solid axle, one must worry about oil pan clearance, while IFS one must only worry about the control arms scraping.

I've searched that post in JF before, I just don't have the attention span to look through 49 pages on my dial up connection alot of that post is about a turbo. I saw thw post about a ford spring cut to size, I guess that's what you were talking about.

check here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255221

he's done a lot of stuff with the frontend, and it's the same for the MJ.

:eek: :eek:

he's gonna blow that motor in 3 days.

5.0 stroker with a turbo?! i hope he uses a renix block at least. jeez. those cylinder walls are gonna be DYING, not to mention he's gonna have a hell of a time keepin it cool.

check here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255221

he's done a lot of stuff with the frontend, and it's the same for the MJ.

:eek: :eek:

he's gonna blow that motor in 3 days.

5.0 stroker with a turbo?! i hope he uses a renix block at least. jeez. those cylinder walls are gonna be DYING, not to mention he's gonna have a hell of a time keepin it cool.

at first I thought that guy was full of it, but he's proven on Naxja that he knows what he's doing.

that and the Bronco 6bt swap he did with a buddy.

so whats the thought on the cylinder walls holding htat kind of pressure at that stroke? seems like a bad idea.. but i don't know much about turbos.

a 5.0L stroker should technically push out ~350hp at least. he's gonna have one heLLUva fast XJ if it all works out.

"i don't want to run it at the strip so it will only be built to run like a 12.5" :roll:

...ONLY.