my next MJ project, this time a street truck

I've built a rock buggy out of my last MJ

picture3dh9.jpg

and just picked up another one (2wd) to make my new daily driver. 88 MJ, 2wd, 4.0, AW4, D35...

It's got a few exterior cosmetic issues that will be easily addressed, but the drivetrain is solid and running well. This thread will document the modifications, though they will likely be more simple and subtle than what I've done to my other MJ.

My first two thoughts/questions:

Lowering. I think I want to lower it. It's gonna be a total street truck, and I don't feel right about owning a Jeep at stock height, but I don't know if I can bring myself to lower it.... someone talk me into or out of it!

Bumpers. I think I'm going to make some custom bumpers for it, but since it won't be an offroad vehicle, does anyone have examples of sturdy bumpers that still look stockish? I could make a roll-pan easy enough, but I like the idea of having a little more protection...

bfe18ed2wf1.jpg[/

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lower it... It'll look better. I had an 86 long box that the front coils shattered on it, dropping it maybe 2", and it looked awesome besides the 'problems'. Well, the rear needed to go down a bit though.

Why do you need sturdy bumpers? It's not bumper cars out there... I'd take a peice of 2x6x.125 HSS and cut it into three peices, one being 33" long for the centre and the two remaining (11.5" IIRC) would be used for the area under the headlights, but they would be angled back a bit by cutting them about 15* off... Cap the ends though.

You gotta tub it though.

You're doing what I wanted to do, but then realized street trucks are useless in hickville, BC. That and there's no good MJs left here.

Is it really as clean as it looks?! Where the heck did you find it?

I found it in the classifieds here, which someone linked to on NAXJA. Drove down to Ohio on Monday and picked it up.

It's pretty good, but definitely needs a little care.

-There is very little rust, except for some reason it got through both sides just below/behind the doors.

-Haven't decided what I'll do about that yet, either replace the sheet-metal (unlikely), do a 2x6 tube rocker replacement, or use aluminum diamond plate covers like CW did in his buildup.

-The doors are also junk IMO, someone tried modifying them for a different style handle and it came out really hack.

-It's rattle-can black, I'll probably paint it nicer at some point, though it doesn't look too bad

-The interior is basically perfect; definitely the cleanest '88 interior I've seen.

Lower it... It'll look better. I had an 86 long box that the front coils shattered on it, dropping it maybe 2", and it looked awesome besides the 'problems'. Well, the rear needed to go down a bit though.

Why do you need sturdy bumpers? It's not bumper cars out there... I'd take a peice of 2x6x.125 HSS and cut it into three peices, one being 33" long for the centre and the two remaining (11.5" IIRC) would be used for the area under the headlights, but they would be angled back a bit by cutting them about 15* off... Cap the ends though.

You gotta tub it though.

You're doing what I wanted to do, but then realized street trucks are useless in hickville, BC. That and there's no good MJs left here.

I think it's gonna get lowered about 1.5 inches, cut the coils up front and build new leaf packs in the rear.

-I feel the need for sturdy bumpers because I hate the idea of a small fender-bender turning into a big deal. I like the confidence of steel tube.

-I think for the front I will do similar to what you said, but put the factory bumper caps on it to keep it looking stockish. I'd like a small grill-gaurd, but don't know how I could do it without it looking out of place on a lowered truck.

-For the rear I'm still mildly considering making a roll-pan, it would be easy... my other choice would be to do another like my other MJ used to have with 2x4 tube recessed and 1.25" square tube welded to it's face and wider:

p1010013pc6.jpg

we shall see... I'll definitely spend a lot of time doing nice interior stuff like LED interior lights, a big invertor hidden with 110v outlet on the dash, AWshifting unit, decent stereo, etc.

Paddle shifters, eh?

My experience with the stock bumpers is that they actually hold up reasonably to 'fender benders' if you can call them that. I mean, I've still got the stock rear on there, sorta. It's been through hell though. On that long 'to-do' list of things that don't get done because everything else breaks first. The stockers are basically throw away, they work once then you replace them...

nice MJ but I for one completly disagree with this build. no jeep ever has or ever will look right LOWERED!. I think that you should build it up pre-runner style. You would still be able to give it your own personal touches and what not and still make a really nice truck out of it, please tell me that you have at least considered it.

ok then, for the sake of not arguing, LOL I believe that the MJ in the pic dosen't look that good. not saying it dosne't preform that good. but different stroke for different folks I reckon. :nuts:

A roll pan style bumper like the one 87manche posted here would be slick. In the front maybe a late model XJ bumper with the front fairing and recessed fog lights, you could trim the bumper depth and push it in an inch or two to give a more flush look. Or convert the whole front end to the late model XJ and eliminate the vent window and the funky doors and get the nice power windows and locks :brows:

nice MJ but I for one completly disagree with this build. no jeep ever has or ever will look right LOWERED!. I think that you should build it up pre-runner style. You would still be able to give it your own personal touches and what not and still make a really nice truck out of it, please tell me that you have at least considered it.

I know a thing or two about lifted MJs as well, been there, done that...

p10101424kq.md.jpg

I still feel a little funny about it, but this MJ is staying on the street, so I might as well build it for that purpose. Right now I'm out in Michigan, if I were still out in Cali I would certainly build it pre-runner style, and I likely will if/when I get back out there.

I hate the little rice-rocket Civics that kids will spend thousands on paint jobs, spoilers and bling rims, but not drop a dime on performance parts. This MJ will have a little show, but I will make a strong point of not making it look faster than it is.

here's some street MJs that have been posted on NAXJA:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I like the second better, not a fan of the ground-effects on the first one.

see i disagree, I love the look of ground affects on street machines. I had though about building a steet/strip MJ, but decided offroading is more fun and I don't have one of those. I would love to see a stroked engine be dropped into a street MJ, it could definately destroy a lot of the v*'s out there.

A roll pan style bumper like the one 87manche posted here would be slick. In the front maybe a late model XJ bumper with the front fairing and recessed fog lights, you could trim the bumper depth and push it in an inch or two to give a more flush look. Or convert the whole front end to the late model XJ and eliminate the vent window and the funky doors and get the nice power windows and locks :brows:

I don't like that roll pan. If I do one I'll just make it out of one sheet of metal curved to match the sides, then I'll relocate the liscense plate to the tailgate or rear window.

I like the look of the 84-96, but if someone nearby was parting out a 97+ real cheap I guess I would do the conversion...

i know ranger coils are shorter(i would get some 2wd 4.0 ext cab springs, and mite have to trim the bumps stops down) and are the same diamater, cuz ranger guys use jeep springs for a lift:D. as for the rear, you could just add a drop block if its a spring under(havnt looked at my stock mj rearend in a while)

also grant customs in california will make you an all steel roll pan. bob n matt are great guys, hes gona be building me a 1off front bumper roll pan and tail light fillers for my MJ. www.grantkustoms.com

i know ranger coils are shorter(i would get some 2wd 4.0 ext cab springs, and mite have to trim the bumps stops down) and are the same diamater, cuz ranger guys use jeep springs for a lift:D. as for the rear, you could just add a drop block if its a spring under(havnt looked at my stock mj rearend in a while)

also grant customs in california will make you an all steel roll pan. bob n matt are great guys, hes gona be building me a 1off front bumper roll pan and tail light fillers for my MJ. www.grantkustoms.com

I know one guy with a lowered XJ was telling me he's running cut F150 springs that are about 280in/lbs, I think stock XJ is 160-180in/lbs. He says he loves the way it rides... but it sure seems like that would be too stiff. For the rear, some of the lower leafs are broken and for some reason it already has a 2" lowering block but looks stock height. I think my first attempt at the rear will be to use just the MJ main leaf and add a whole XJ pack to that including the main leaf with eyes cut off.

Thanks for the advice on the roll pan, but I think I can easily handle making my own.