First Real Build.....Project MOJO...

So i finally got an mj i have wanted one since i was like 10 (8 years ago lol) and here is the specs.

2.8v6

4 speed

2wd

Long Bed

2 inch lift

235s

The bad:

The drivers floor is rotted through

Carb is Way Bad

Valve cover leaks

Throwout bearing is SHOT

Its 2wd

Its a 4 speed

The plan:

Fix the floor (i have seen plenty of write ups for this)

I plan on building another 2.8 on the side oil pan up and send it to ARI racing in grandview and get it stroked

I want to find a donor XJ and swap 4wd and a 5 speed

I will lift it to about 6 in total and slide some 32's or 33's in

As for color I'm going with a dark blue and black 2 tone

And finally (for now hehehehe) A big name badge on the side of the truck MOJO...

What do you guys think? any and all help would be appreciated.

and as soon as i figure out how to post pics ill do so

NOTG

Nick Of The Gas

Sounds like a decent plan except for the building of the 2.8... WHY would you waste your time and money on a total piece of junk like a 2.8L engine. If you are converting to 4WD, it would be much easier to put a 4.0L in it and if you want to stroke something, the 4.0L is the one to do as it will have 3 times the power and life span of the 2.8L :thumbsup:

I've heard the 2.8L blocks have more issues than just pathetic power output when stock. Something about the tiny oil passages. If it were my truck, I'd look into the 3.4L swap. Same block dimensions but with a much better internal design. :thumbsup:

edit: I found the page ---> http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/a ... ?id=277008

i agree with BLHTAZ in the 4l swap. if you are already going to try and find a xj, just hope its got the 4.0 and drop her in. but i do believe the altinator, powersteering, etc are in differntly from the xj to mj.

2.8 was only available in 86, 4.0 became available in 87. You need to modify your firewall a bit (A few whacks with a BFH should do it), but I think you have to change stuff in the front of the engine bay as well, like radiator supports and stuff to swap a 4.0 in.

Get a 3.4 out of a Camaro, complete with EFI, computer and wiring and swap that in. Same basic block, direct bolt in, but better longevity, more HP, more torque and better fuel economy.

very cool.

my bro did a buick 3.8 swap out of a camaro into his. i think the bellhousing was the same but he had to alter it for his starter to fit.

that 2.8 he had was junk. toss it and upgrade but if upgrading to a 4.3 go with a 350 it's the same but two more cylinders.

Swap in the 3.4 and keep your carb.

Here's a good link to add to your favorites

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Pro ... ect_XJ.htm

you're wrong, sorry.

the 2.8 liter carbeurator is at least 50% of the problem with the 2.8 liter because of all of the emissions maintenance vacuum $#!& on it (which ROBS power and economy)

if he's keeping the carb he may as well buy a edelbrock 4bbl intake for the 60 degree gm block, with a holley 390cfm carbeurator if he wants anything out of it.

no need though, the wiring is simple.

I never said keep your STOCK carb :dunce:

Theres a reason I didnt build the 86 2.8l in my yard. To be honest, I have no experience with the 2.8, was just trying to pass along some info I had found somewhere. Thought it could be helpful.

Is the 3.4 swap definitely worth it? is there anyway we could get some numbers?

Seriously.. :hmm: . Why waste your time with a 2.8 or a 3.4? if your bound and determined to stick with a 90* V-6 :nuts: ..then why not go with the 3.8 Buick Grand National Turbo set up.. 4 barrel carb..plus you can actually stroke that one and know it will last!.. jamminz.gif

Piss on that whole 2.8l-3.4l crap!! that's as bad as trying to stuff a 305 in a fullsize chevy pickup when you have access to a 350 that could go in it.. :wall:

just my .02....good luck

Seriously.. :hmm: . Why waste your time with a 2.8 or a 3.4? if your bound and determined to stick with a 90* V-6 :nuts: ..then why not go with the 3.8 Buick Grand National Turbo set up.. 4 barrel carb..plus you can actually stroke that one and know it will last!.. jamminz.gif

Piss on that whole 2.8l-3.4l crap!! that's as bad as trying to stuff a 305 in a fullsize chevy pickup when you have access to a 350 that could go in it.. :wall:

just my .02....good luck

that involves custom work.

a 3.4 liter being the same block as the 2.8 will bolt on using 2.8 exhaust manifolds and motor mounts and an a/c delete bracket, then minimal wiring necessary to make it run...4 positives, one 55 ohm supply to pin 55 (blue wire) on the ecu from a VATS bypass module, and a couple grounds.

I personally would rather go as close to stock in my swaps as possible. I've DONE a buick 3800 swap, and I DID NOT enjoy getting the thing there, finding I had to custom build the clutch throwout plate and modify the bellhousing due to flywheel differences and starter locations, then build custom motor mounts (which required modifying the frame rails), custom exhaust and y-pipe, custom fuel lines, custom header panel to fit a 4.0 radiator in an 86 MJ, custom e-fans, then all the associated wiring (since I removed all unnecessary camaro wires such as lights etc.), then figuring out how to get high enough fuel pressure and which pump to do it with.

it was a huge b*@$£ of a project...I'd rather just swap parts that bolt on and not have to fabricate to be honest.

ok so i have to find a 3.4l camaro 91-95 5 speed. then i have to find a ax5 xj (what year sorry I'm kinda jeep dumb) then when i find that how hard is it to swap the 4wd in? estimated time if all goes well? how hard is it to rig up the fuel Injection? sorry for all of the stupid questions. just trying to learn. also side bar. Anybody on here from Missouri? other than me? And what do i have to do to get a COMANCHE CLUB sticker.

Here is a picture of my new lift i think i got about 2.5 inches after everything settled. And i did it for under 20 bucks. I used adjustable coil spacers and some longer shackles. then i stuffed some 235 75 r 15s under there. i like it a lot.

here is a picture of my roll bar that i grabbed from my 89 toyota hilux.

its for sale FYI

just my .02....good luck

that involves custom work.

a 3.4 liter being the same block as the 2.8 will bolt on using 2.8 exhaust manifolds and motor mounts and an a/c delete bracket, then minimal wiring necessary to make it run...4 positives, one 55 ohm supply to pin 55 (blue wire) on the ecu from a VATS bypass module, and a couple grounds.

I personally would rather go as close to stock in my swaps as possible. I've DONE a buick 3800 swap, and I DID NOT enjoy getting the thing there, finding I had to custom build the clutch throwout plate and modify the bellhousing due to flywheel differences and starter locations, then build custom motor mounts (which required modifying the frame rails), custom exhaust and y-pipe, custom fuel lines, custom header panel to fit a 4.0 radiator in an 86 MJ, custom e-fans, then all the associated wiring (since I removed all unnecessary camaro wires such as lights etc.), then figuring out how to get high enough fuel pressure and which pump to do it with.

it was a huge B!+@# of a project...I'd rather just swap parts that bolt on and not have to fabricate to be honest.

If it was me, I'd bust a move on the FI swap.there are lots of people on this board who would be more than willing to help you make this work. jamminz.gif

One more thing about your project,My dog's name is "MOJO" so I kind of have a helpful intrest in your build. Ed