old police cherokee

Around my parts, government vehicles, including police, will automatically get a salvage title when sold to the public; same with taxi cabs. Then you have to get it inspected to change it to salvage-repaired in order to be able to plate it, but it will never be a clear title again.

And local (city) police department cars see a lot of idling and low speed driving and stop and go. Per mile that is much harder on a vehicle than highway miles, so a vehicle may have 100,000 miles on it, but engine wear will be comparative to an average car with 300,000 miles.

Police package XJs started in 1993, so they are all HOs. Here's a few of their features I can recall:

Most had the 120 amp alternator

Mini console (most) w. column shift

Rubber floor mats

Some had the HD cooling package (premium rad w. tranny cooler)

Unique certified 115MPH speedo cluster

Guage cluster has no tach and the big fuel guage

Has the voltmeter, oil pressure and coolant temp gauges

Most had the 10" rear drums

Extended idle switch

ECM is unique to police XJ

And I've probably missed some other features..........

Police package XJs started in 1993, so they are all HOs. Here's a few of their features I can recall:

Rubber floor mats

Extended idle switch

thanks i knew about the idle switch but thats just about all i could remember

the reason i ask is because i found one relatively cheap :hmm:

i'd buy one at the right price. :thumbsup:

all law enforcement vehicles differ to some extant for their intended use. most come with extra skid plates. some are ordered with re-enforced front bumper or bumper mounts with push bars. most have better cooling and upgraded silicone hoses. they come with high amp alternators and usually better brake pads/shoes. the suspension is usually beefed a little to handle higher speeds. they are normally very stripped with a/c and cruise as the main options. most of the time they come with vinyl floor and seats.

those with k9 packages add a few things to them. usually tinted windows and the rear seat removed or folded down (for most of it's life). the only problem that causes is that the hinges get weak and the backing of the seat weakens.

as far as care, most are very, very well cared for. mechanically they are usually a pretty good buy. some do have wear issues on the interior but the exterior is usually kept up.

i would go for it if it's a decent price. it should be priced much lower that a civilian model. :D

Rubber floor mats

Extended idle switch

The 97+ PCMs are the same, and the 97+ gauge cluster only differs in the higher MPH "certified" speedo.

We had three 97's in the department and auctioned them last year. As far as I know they were normal in all respects and used by the training personnel to haul crap. All of them had about 75-100K miles and went for around 1200.00

The only comment I would make about old police units (of any sort) is most have had various folks work on the wiring systems, and about half of those individuals really didn't understand what they were doing. I can't tell you how many that have been auctioned off that later are seen dead on the roadside during the trip home... :redX:

We had three 97's in the department and auctioned them last year. As far as I know they were normal in all respects and used by the training personnel to haul crap. All of them had about 75-100K miles and went for around 1200.00

Probably not the police package then, just regular old XJs.

The only comment I would make about old police units (of any sort) is most have had various folks work on the wiring systems, and about half of those individuals really didn't understand what they were doing. I can't tell you how many that have been auctioned off that later are seen dead on the roadside during the trip home... :redX:

ok. now i'm insulted!! i used to do some of the wiring on cop cars! :fs1:

well, ok, i just had the shop they came to at the dealership. i only did a few, the rest my employees did. my guys were top notch at running the electrics on them. i had 1 guy that was incredible with them. i had to pay him dearly for it though. it was more money out of my pocket. :(

i'm not really insulted. i wouldn't want one i "learned" on. by now they are all in the graveyard in the sky. ;)

Most "real" police package XJs also had the UpCountry suspension. This featured about 1-1.5" of lift over stock, and HD shock absorbers. This was basiaally the "HD" spring packs that quadratec and other sites sell, plus what amounted to ZJ V8 springs in the front.

If you search the monroe shock catalog, you will see an entry just for police package vehicles. They are listed as "severe duty," IIRC.

I don't know about routine services, I work for a fleet in a city, and out services can get pretty far out, near by cities have similar results (in talking with other shops). Some cars get lost in the mix, if a fleet is large enough. While I totally agree that for 90% of most police vehicles lives are spent at idle, and or start/stop mode.

Buy it. !!!! Rare police vehicles are cool. Get an okay to run all the police lights on it too......you can usally get with the local law and tell them what you plan to do.

all law enforcement vehicles differ to some extant for their intended use. most come with extra skid plates. some are ordered with re-enforced front bumper or bumper mounts with push bars. most have better cooling and upgraded silicone hoses. they come with high amp alternators and usually better brake pads/shoes. the suspension is usually beefed a little to handle higher speeds. they are normally very stripped with a/c and cruise as the main options. most of the time they come with vinyl floor and seats.

those with k9 packages add a few things to them. usually tinted windows and the rear seat removed or folded down (for most of it's life). the only problem that causes is that the hinges get weak and the backing of the seat weakens.

as far as care, most are very, very well cared for. mechanically they are usually a pretty good buy. some do have wear issues on the interior but the exterior is usually kept up.

i would go for it if it's a decent price. it should be priced much lower that a civilian model. :D

just checked it out today after class and it was sold :( o well

was gonna use it just for the body anyway

just checked it out today after class and it was sold :( o well

was gonna use it just for the body anyway

bummer!!! :(