Coil Springs?

Anybody's stuff can break :thumbsup: . I am a die hard RE fan myself, but I have seen their stuff break just like anyone else...although I have never seen a spring do that :eek: ...it's usually the track bars.

Stay away from Rusty's! :no:

OME doesn't make anything that tall...I believe 2.5" is the biggest.

Rough Country seems to be OK stuff, but I have no real experience there.

Motion Offroad has some nice stuff as well so be sure to look at them.

If you are going with that much lift you will want to get a kit, not just springs. You will need an adjustable track bar and at least lower control arms, but I would do both upper & lower personally as the stock arms are very weak and don't hold up to lifts well. You will also need the extended sway bar links and possibly brake hoses depending on what you intend to do with the truck.

I'm sure I will get some flack for this, but I have had TeraFlex springs in my TJ for 6 years now and they have served well. Unlike the rest of the TeraFlex products that have since been replaced.... grrr....

I have never run them myself, but I've never heard or read anyone who was unhappy with their OME springs.

OME doesn't make anything that tall...I believe 2.5" is the biggest.

Rough Country seems to be OK stuff, but I have no real experience there.

Motion Offroad has some nice stuff as well so be sure to look at them.

If you are going with that much lift you will want to get a kit, not just springs. You will need an adjustable track bar and at least lower control arms, but I would do both upper & lower personally as the stock arms are very weak and don't hold up to lifts well. You will also need the extended sway bar links and possibly brake hoses depending on what you intend to do with the truck.

Rocky-Road.com's lift kit says they use 4" OME coils

I'm goign to have to look into Motion Offroad

I'm not going with a kit or just springs, I am putting together my own lift with the parts I want... LCA, (UCA will come later), Track bar, SOA, T-case drop, ect. I'm goign to be running mud right now.

OME does not make a 4" coil for the XJ's/MJ's. They make a 2" coil, and if your use a ZJ 2" coil you can get 3" of lift. But a 4" coil was NEVER made by OME for the XJ/MJ. RR stacks coil spacers on top of new springs to get that amount of lift; stupid if you ask me...

OME does not make a 4" coil for the XJ's/MJ's. They make a 2" coil, and if your use a ZJ 2" coil you can get 3" of lift. But a 4" coil was NEVER made by OME for the XJ/MJ. RR stacks coil spacers on top of new springs to get that amount of lift; stupid if you ask me...

I'm wanting to run 33s but leave myself the ablity to put in a small spacer if i decide to go 35s

Why a transfer case drop?

actually a t-case crosmember that drops the t-case 1" but has more clearance than factory and can take more abuse.

More clearance I can understand, and being able to take more abuse is always good, but there's no reason to need to drop the transfer case down. This is an MJ, not an XJ.

Why is it that everybody hates Rustys. I have used all of rustys products and have never had any problems except there front hook brackets tend to bend when a full size truck snatches you out of the mud.

Maybe their stuff has changed, but for the most part their stuff is junk. ALso their customer service sucks donkey balls. I can vouche for this myself.

Why a transfer case drop?

actually a t-case crosmember that drops the t-case 1" but has more clearance than factory and can take more abuse.

More clearance I can understand, and being able to take more abuse is always good, but there's no reason to need to drop the transfer case down. This is an MJ, not an XJ.

OK so with MJs you don't have to drop the t-case or SYE at around 6" like on XJs?

OK so with MJs you don't have to drop the t-case or SYE at around 6" like on XJs?

Nope. We have a foot or so more wheelbase and so the driveshaft angels are much less extreme at 6". The rear driveshaft will be a bit too short though and there are a few different ways to fix that (retubing what you've got so it's the right length, shortening another longer driveshaft to the proper size, or buying a new one).

But the SYE is still a good upgrade if you can float the cash for it and the new rear driveshaft. :thumbsup:

Nope. We have a foot or so more wheelbase and so the driveshaft angels are much less extreme at 6". The rear driveshaft will be a bit too short though and there are a few different ways to fix that (retubing what you've got so it's the right length, shortening another longer driveshaft to the proper size, or buying a new one).

But the SYE is still a good upgrade if you can float the cash for it and the new rear driveshaft. :thumbsup:

OK I didnt know that... at 5" (doing just SOA) can I get away with out getting a new driveshaft? OR atleast for now. I only do mud right now.

You certainly wouldn't be the first to do it that way. I wouldn't. I paid about $30 to get my 2wd shaft cut down to size.

If you've got a 4.0/auto in your truck and you can find a rear shaft from a 4.0/stick, it's about an inch longer (assuming same bed length).

You certainly wouldn't be the first to do it that way. I wouldn't. I paid about $30 to get my 2wd shaft cut down to size.

If you've got a 4.0/auto in your truck and you can find a rear shaft from a 4.0/stick, it's about an inch longer (assuming same bed length).

Or you can install a longer 27 spline GM slip yoke like this and keep your existing driveshaft:

this yoke

Works fine on our MJs.

Or you can install a longer 27 spline GM slip yoke like this and keep your existing driveshaft:

this yoke

Works fine on our MJs.

HMMM that really works, that would be easier to do than get my drive shaft modified. If i was home I'd got to Advanced Driveline in Orlando. Here i don't know of any good shops.

Why is it that everybody hates Rustys. I have used all of rustys products and have never had any problems except there front hook brackets tend to bend when a full size truck snatches you out of the mud.

Maybe their stuff has changed, but for the most part their stuff is junk. ALso their customer service sucks donkey balls. I can vouche for this myself.

I agree that most of their stuff, and service, is junk... except the coils. I won't be buying any more hard parts from them though. I started out with Rusty's stuff in front, and the only thing I like is the coils. Everything else is slowly getting replaced, the only other thing I still run are the LCAs, and they clunk if not greased often.

The coils are nice and soft, and balance well with the rear (4.5" coils, 1.5" spacer, SOA, stock springs, not MT). They started out on my XJ about 5 years ago and got put through a lot of abuse! I swapped them to the MJ last fall, and they still give about 5" of lift, and are even from side to side.

It is also rumored RE uses the same spring manufacturer. On NAXJA, even Rusty's haters like the coils.

I'm sure Rusty's parts are improving, especially now that the are using forged flex joints in the arms. Now they just need to learn how to weld!

Not sure how it works now, but early on, Rusty wasn't making Rusty's coils. I have the 3"-190# variety and love them. Although it only took one winter to turn the coating to rust, but that just means they match the rest of the truck, right? :D

My rustys track bar bracket on the other hand... :mad: