So why is the AMC20 desirable?

It depends on the AMC20 that you get too. Yes, there are bolt-ins from MJ's that you can get, but there are many other sources for them too. The best one to get would be out of an early 80's Wagoneer (FSJ) as they have the strongest housing to go along with the strong shafts that the 20 has. In most all cases the AMC 20 is stronger than a D44 and just short of, but close to a D60 (if from the FSJ). The wide track CJ's had decent 20 under them too, but need to be converted from the two piece design to a one piece shaft to get the most strength out of them.

The FSJ & CJ versions are very similar in length to the MJ, but the FSJ is a 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern and the CJ is a 5 on 5.5

There are plenty of things out there for them now too. I have found disc brake conversion kits, all kinds of lockers, gears etc, etc... There may not be the wide range in some things as there is for the Dana axles, but if you look a bit you will find plenty. :cheers:

Well I said this before,, but the AMC20 I had in my 78 CJ was a POS.... Well my main gripe was with the two piece axle shafts... I spun two of them on the hubs.. I was running 15/35-15 super swampers though, with a bowtie 289 V8 powerpack motor .. Not only did I spin those hubs, but also ruined a chrome Cragar super star when a lug nut spun in the hub.. Only way to remove it was cut the lug nut off.. :rant: :fs1: :headpop: This was in 94, and I still have parts off that Jeep scattered in the barn....

If anyone ever gets a AMC20............. Better make d@nmed sure to put one piece axles in that SOB...

didnt all MJ AMC 20s come with 1-piece shafts?

Yes all the 20's in the MJ's were a 1 piece shaft. That is the specific reason that they are a desirable axle as compared to the CJ or FSJ 20's. A solid 1 piece shaft conversion kit is expensive, so it's a plus that the axle already has it. Plus many (including myself) say that it's a stronger axle than the D44 is.

The non MJ AMC20's are an OK axle, they just take alot of work to resolve some of the issues with heavy wheeling. The MJ version is essentially the solution to those problems, thus not taking much work to make a killer axle...

Not mine..

You said yours was a CJ. The CJ model 20 axle did not have one-piece shafts. The MJ/XJ model 20 axle did.

amc20's were never offered in xj's. it was a one year wonder in the 86 comanches.

Not mine..

You said yours was a CJ. The CJ model 20 axle did not have one-piece shafts. The MJ/XJ model 20 axle did.

Right... My CJ.. I didnt read MJ. I'm glad the MJ's came with one piece axles.. I hate for any of my Comanche Brethren to deal with those two piece craps. But,, its not like every Comanche has them..