Removing paint from chrome?

I just got a smoking deal ($40) on some chrome nerf bars and tubular bed rails off a short box Ram. The nerfs will need some massaging to work on the MJ but not much. The only catch is they were spray painted black.

I got one nerf almost done by using a brass stencil to scrape the paint off. This was not a fun process but it did not damage the finish under it.

What is the best way to get the paint off and not damage the bling under it?

well it really depends on what's under the paint. is it chrome, stainless steel, chrome plated stainless steel, or polished stainless steel. if it is chrome or chrome plated stainless, you can use steel wool as well as a chemical like paint thinner. if it's just stainless, you'll have more work as the paint sticks better than to chrome. you'll need to try chemicals like thinner, but you can also try a chemical called "lift off". that removes almost anything from anywhere.

it also depends on the kind of paint, thickness of the paint, and how old it is. if it's a pretty light coat of spray paint, it'll come off pretty easy with steel wool and thinner. if it's a thick coat of a more durable paint, it's gona take some elbow grease.

either way, you'll have to do some polishing when you get everything off. if it is stainless, the steel wool may make some marks in it, but you can polish it out. chrome can be cleaned with steel wool anyway so no worries there. steel wool will usually do the trick. the mix of rubbing it with steel wool with thinner on it should easily take care of it.

let us know if it's not working, i have some other methods i've used.

Thanks for the tips.

I got one nerf finished. They look to be stainless steel. I also got half of one of the bed rails done. They are chrome plated.

The paint on both is EXTREMLY thick. It looks like about 10 coats.

I tried thinner and steel wool and all it did was make a sticky, slimy, smelly mess. So far my brass stencils are working pretty good. Just a bunch of work.

I should have the nerfs cut and mounted this weekend sometime. and the bed rails set in place. I am not sure how the rails will look with the roll bar. It could be to much tube on the bed. We will see as soon as I get the roll bar and install it too.

Hornbrod is the chrome expert!

:cheers:

Paul

I happen to love chrome on a black truck. I may become the "King of Bling" very soon!

:agree: I'd use a good water based paint stripper; it will not harm chrome or stainless. Unfortunately it works best at temps higher than 70 degrees and not too much of that around this time of the year. Steel wool is NOT recommended as even 0000 wool will leave scratches. Finish off with a few light coats of gloss polyurethane on the stainless. Oh, and stick a magnet on the rails to be sure if it's stainless or not.

:agree: I'd use a good water based paint stripper; it will not harm chrome or stainless. Unfortunately it works best at temps higher than 70 degrees and not too much of that around this time of the year. Steel wool is NOT recommended as even 0000 wool will leave scratches. Finish off with a few light coats of gloss polyurethane on the stainless. Oh, and stick a magnet on the rails to be sure if it's stainless or not.

76 Degree's here today...wanna head out west? :clapping:

Its ok Don,,, I got this one...

!!Scumbag..................!!

:D

Thanks Don. I will check it out in the morning. Any tips on getting swirls and thin sctarches out of them? Looks like someone rubbed there boots on them at one time.

I will be back in SoCal within the next 2 years!

Thanks Don. I will check it out in the morning. Any tips on getting swirls and thin sctarches out of them? Looks like someone rubbed there boots on them at one time.

I will be back in SoCal within the next 2 years!

I'll NEVER go back to SoCal (cept for Disney or San Diego vacation trips) if I can help it... I'm a NorCal (Central Coast if you want to get technical)...

Sorry to go off topic... I say to take a grinder to the whole thing and then have it powder coated in Black, but thats probably not the opinion that the O.P. is looking for...

If it's chrome you're SOL, replating is the only cure I know. But if it's stainless, you can take out swirls with a drill ragwheel and some rouge jewelers compound. It will polish it up like new, then clearcoat with poly.

NOT! Couldn't afford it! And I'd go bananas with all the wierdos out there. :D But you're not one of them Wade2. :yes: We have 12 beautiful hectares of waterfront land on the wife's home island of Guimaras in the Philippines. Soon as the two daughters get self-sufficient (PLEASE SOON!) that's when we'll be heading west - very west. With the MJ. :cheers:

not to argue but i agree with you as far as steel wool on straight stainless, but it doesn't scratch chrome. i stand by my suggestion of the steel wool and buffing it out after. such fine steel wool can even be used on paint and the scratches buffed out. steel wool is also the best way to clean windows (with the exception of interior windows with film tint), just be careful on rear defrosters.

as far as getting the scratches out, a good chrome polish with some elbow grease will help you out there. deep scratches cannot be completely removed, but with a good polish they do lighten up.

there are several brands you can use, starting with a more aggressive one and finishing with a fine/light one is the best. you can use polishing and rubbing compounds on stainless steel and chrome as well. most auto waxes can be used on the chrome as well. when you wax your vehicle, go over the chrome and stainless as well.

if you do use aircraft stripper, you do need to do finish it with some sort of finish. it will eat everything off. it's great if your going to refinish, but not if your looking to just remove one layer of paint and leave the finish as intact as possible. if you do chose to use it, keep water handy. you can neutralize it by watering it down, be carefull putting any other chemicals on it until you have thoroughly rinsed it. once rinsed off, was it with dawn dish soap. useing a light coat and quickly rinsing it can keep from re-moving every layer. use gloves when dealing with it and only do it off the vehicles as it will harm paint.

hornbrod is correct that you can use a clear coat to protect it in the future. if you want to know the full process to polish stainless steel, let me know. chrome as well. :smart:

i own a specialty auto detailing company and have been in the detailing business for 24 years. i am more than willing to help out by giving you product names and processes. i have a few years of oopses to support me. even bad experience is good experience! :clapping:

again, i'm not trying to start an arguement at all and hope i don't offend anyone. i just want to share my years of experience and let you know you can ask me questions about detailing, finish, and cleaning of vehicles. i hope this doesn't bother anyone, just trying to help.

p.s.; you can use the steel wool and buffing technique indoors on removed parts if your wife will let you. ;)

Offend? Hell no, you have posted some great advice and I defer to you on all these matters brdhntr. I am far from an expert and just pass on the way I have done things over the years strictly for myself. You are far more up to speed and more knowledgable since you do it for a living. Very much appreciate your responses. :cheers: