Whats the largest tire I can Run stock 89 mj

I used to run 235/75R15 with minimal running on the lower control arms at full lock steering. This can be cured by after market or Grand Cherokee control arms, wheels with a bit more backspacing, or extending the steering stops on the axle. 9.5x30 should work, as it is pretty much the exact same size, 9.5x31 might also work but is a difficult size to find. 10.5x31 would definitely need less backspacing, but might cause issues with the fenders or fender liners under full flex as my tires would come within a fraction of an inch when fully stuffed.

31s with a budget lift (1.75" spacers in front, longer shackles in the rear) should work.

30x9.50-15s are a good fit, with slight rubbing on the lower control arms. 31x10.50-15s will also fit (with NO lift) if you run OEM Jeep rims. They will rub the lower control arms on sharp turns. I didn't find it to be a problem, but there are work-arounds if it bothers you.

Boy,

If we only had a buck for everytime that question was asked... :no: :shake: :shake: :eek:

288 hits on "tire size" search.php?keywords=tire+size&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

14 for "largest tire" search.php?keywords=largest+tire&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

YUP, the search is still working ..... :yes: :shake: :rotf: :doh:

CW

Just put 31x10.5s on my '89 with only minimal rubbing at full steer and full stuff. Gonna put 2" spacers up front and 1" shackles in the rear.

You realize, I hope, that the spacers will do nothing to relieve the rubbing against the lower control arms, and probably nothing about any rubbing at full stuff unless you also extend the bump stops.

Boy,

If we only had a buck for everytime that question was asked... :no: :shake: :shake: :eek:

Maybe time for an FAQ sticky?

True, but the first 5-6 of them route back to this thread and the next relevant thread is on page 6 or 7 of the results.

As above, the first 5-6 of them route back to this thread and the rest are irrelevant.

YUP, the search is still working ..... :yes: :shake: :rotf: :doh:

CW

But not well, IMO. Not that I could run a board any better (I am a computer dummy), but many other sites have a "smarter" serach that is integrated into each subforum. Additionally, tire sizes are typically expressed as numbers, and few search engines anywhere allow searches with terms that are short, such as "30" or "9.50" or "235."

I am not trying to start a fight here, but I was wondering the same thing, tried a search, and after 5-10 minutes of different search criteria, I found this thread...and that was about the only one that was helpful.

Sure, buried somewhere in the depths of the board there is probably a TON of good info on this subject, but extracting it can be challenging.

Tire "Fit" = tire does not touch or rub anywhere at full lock to lock steering or full suspension articulation. If the tire rubs or touches at any point...it does not "FIT". Putting in bump stops or adjusting the steering stop is not the right answer to an oversize tire.

A 31" tire will go on it stock, but it is a long way from fitting. The 235 is the largest tire I have see nthat "fits" on these trucks without any lift or change in wheel back spacing. I have a 3.5" lift on mine with 31's and I would not want anything bigger as these are pretty close to touching as it is. :cheers:

Sure, buried somewhere in the depths of the board there is probably a TON of good info on this subject, but extracting it can be challenging.

No doubt. I still haven't figured out why the search is so hinky. I've tried adjusting the settings with no luck. Maybe the next update will fix the software,

Besides, if anyone gets tired of responding to common questions, they don't have to respond. Everyone's situation is different and I prefer members to ask their questions so that the answers can be tailored to the details at hand. :cheers:

No doubt. I still haven't figured out why the search is so hinky. I've tried adjusting the settings with no luck. Maybe the next update will fix the software,

Besides, if anyone gets tired of responding to common questions, they don't have to respond. Everyone's situation is different and I prefer members to ask their questions so that the answers can be tailored to the details at hand. :cheers:

Like I said, I am no computer guy, but I do moderate a board (www.maxima.org) with about 80K members, and we run vBulletin, which has an integrated search feature that is in the bar at the top of each subforum (once you are in the subforum, that is). It offers the option to "search this forum" and appears when you hover a cursor over the "search this forum" button. jeepsunilimited.com has the same feature. I don't know the cost of vBulletin, so that may be a reason to not switch over, but I figured I'd pass it on.

Back to the topic at hand, I don't mind any new thread or question in the forum I moderate, so long as the answer is not in the FAQ sticky threads and is not already answered in the first page or two of current topics.

Just put 31x10.5s on my '89 with only minimal rubbing at full steer and full stuff. Gonna put 2" spacers up front and 1" shackles in the rear.

You realize, I hope, that the spacers will do nothing to relieve the rubbing against the lower control arms, and probably nothing about any rubbing at full stuff unless you also extend the bump stops.

Yes