318 in an mj?

I'm getting tired of sinking money into my 2.5 and not getting any results. I want to swap in dodge 318 and use a 5speed out of a dodge dakota. From what I understand a jeep 231tcase will bolt in place of the 231 on a dakota. Anybody done a 318 swap in a comanche? Any information would be apreciated.

Thanks for and help?

I'm getting tired of sinking money into my 2.5 and not getting any results. I want to swap in dodge 318 and use a 5speed out of a dodge dakota. From what I understand a jeep 231tcase will bolt in place of the 231 on a dakota. Anybody done a 318 swap in a comanche? Any information would be apreciated.

Thanks for and help?

I debated it for awhile. I am a huge MOPAR man and there is no way I would put a SBC in my Jeep. There is no one who makes motor mount kits for a 318 MJ. They do make SBC kits. I also could not find the right maniflods to make the swap work.

My plan was use a 94-96 ZJ drivetrain and wiring. I eventually decided to just pick up a 97+ XJ and swap in the newer stuff. Good luck man!

An 87 MJ is an AMC, not a Mopar. To be true to the brand, you should drop in an AMC 360, 390 or 401. They are all based on the same block, which is no larger than (and probably smaller than) the Mopar 318. And if the motor is 1970 or newer, the bellhousing bolt pattern is the same as Mopar (because AMC started buying trannies from Mopar in 1970).

An 87 MJ is an AMC, not a Mopar. To be true to the brand, you should drop in an AMC 360, 390 or 401. They are all based on the same block, which is no larger than (and probably smaller than) the Mopar 318. And if the motor is 1970 or newer, the bellhousing bolt pattern is the same as Mopar (because AMC started buying trannies from Mopar in 1970).

For a time I considered it but the AMC v8s are alot more expensive to put together, and I have never seen one that was decent on gas. The 318 is a good engine, decent on gas for a v8 good power and parts tend to be cheaper and easier to come by.

Man, I recently ran across a complete 5.2 motor from I think a 94 ZJ with 90k miles on it with all the wiring and computer for $500 I though how this would make a great swap into the old MJ, but i'd like to keep with an auto. Not sure what auto trans they used in the ZJ tho, 45re or something? Wonder how the AW4 would do behind the 5.2?

No offence, but I think you are mistaken. You had me a bit excited as I want to put a MPI Mopar V8 in my YJ project with the particular trans/T-case setup I have, but couldn't find any way to do it.

I found this info at this link: http://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_post ... 0162#60162

"Note that while the 72 up auto trans is a Chrysler model, it won't bolt to a Chrysler engine, nor will any Chrysler trans bolt to an AMC. The bell is made onto the trans and AMC models have the AMC bolt pattern, Chrysler the Chrysler bolt pattern. All internal and external parts interchange, but the main case (with bell housing cast into it) is different for AMC and Chrysler versions. "

I wish it wasn't so :(

:idea: Guess I may have to do a MPI AMC V8 (with Magnum V8 EFI components and some fab work)

Note that while the 72 up auto trans is a Chrysler model, it won't bolt to a Chrysler engine, nor will any Chrysler trans bolt to an AMC. The bell is made onto the trans and AMC models have the AMC bolt pattern, Chrysler the Chrysler bolt pattern. All internal and external parts interchange, but the main case (with bell housing cast into it) is different for AMC and Chrysler versions. "

Aparently the person who wrote that never heard of a late 70s to early 80s Jeep Grand Wagoneer they had AMC 360 and a Torque Command transmission (Torqueflite).

Note that while the 72 up auto trans is a Chrysler model, it won't bolt to a Chrysler engine, nor will any Chrysler trans bolt to an AMC. The bell is made onto the trans and AMC models have the AMC bolt pattern, Chrysler the Chrysler bolt pattern. All internal and external parts interchange, but the main case (with bell housing cast into it) is different for AMC and Chrysler versions. "

Aparently the person who wrote that never heard of a late 70s to early 80s Jeep Grand Wagoneer they had AMC 360 and a Torque Command transmission (Torqueflite).

I also found the same info on a number of other AMC forums as well. I had a "79 Waggy with the 360 and a GM TH400 and Command Trac t-case. The tranny had an AMC bellhousing, same as what one would find with the Torque Command tranny.

For a time I considered it but the AMC v8s are alot more expensive to put together, and I have never seen one that was decent on gas. The 318 is a good engine, decent on gas for a v8 good power and parts tend to be cheaper and easier to come by.

amc motors are a bit expensive to put together, but they don't break hardly ever.

and I think you're misleading yourself and giving in to a bunch of idiots with lead foots; the amc 360 is capable of 23mpg highway EASY. all you have to do is do a mild build, and keep a light foot. I guarantee you that that is fact...my dad used to drive FSJ pickups exclusively, and he was getting between 17mpg and 23mpg with them depending on how he drove. that's the same as our trucks get now, for a huge amount of power.

idk why you're hellbent on a v8 either...I put a mildly built 3.8 camaro v6 in my 86 mj and get between 19 and 29 mpg with it depending on how hard (or nice) I drive it, and I can haul away from any v6 camaro, any basic 4.0, and I blew the damned doors off of my friend's rotary RX-7, leaving him to eat fumes (and he's a professional racer)

I say look for better options. the SBC is the only "bolt-in" setup, other than that, you get to fab.

amc motors are a bit expensive to put together, but they don't break hardly ever.

and I think you're misleading yourself and giving in to a bunch of idiots with lead foots; the amc 360 is capable of 23mpg highway EASY. all you have to do is do a mild build, and keep a light foot. I guarantee you that that is fact...my dad used to drive FSJ pickups exclusively, and he was getting between 17mpg and 23mpg with them depending on how he drove. that's the same as our trucks get now, for a huge amount of power.

idk why you're hellbent on a v8 either...I put a mildly built 3.8 camaro v6 in my 86 mj and get between 19 and 29 mpg with it depending on how hard (or nice) I drive it, and I can haul away from any v6 camaro, any basic 4.0, and I blew the damned doors off of my friend's rotary RX-7, leaving him to eat fumes (and he's a professional racer)

I say look for better options. the SBC is the only "bolt-in" setup, other than that, you get to fab.

I am well aware that it will take some fabrication to do it and that doesn't bother me. There is absolutely no way I will put a SBC in my truck or any kind of chevy motor. I work at a chey garage and I see the problems with there motors. There is no engine more expensive to get horsepower out of. No offense but if your dads truck got 23mpg AMC would have bought it back and figured out how they did it. The 318 is a good reliable motor with decent power and respectable fuel mileage and its not something everybodys doing.

I am well aware that it will take some fabrication to do it and that doesn't bother me. There is absolutely no way I will put a SBC in my truck or any kind of chevy motor. I work at a chey garage and I see the problems with there motors. There is no engine more expensive to get horsepower out of. No offense but if your dads truck got 23mpg AMC would have bought it back and figured out how they did it. The 318 is a good reliable motor with decent power and respectable fuel mileage and its not something everybodys doing.

oh, I agree it's something different...I'm just saying that the people who say AMC motors get bad mileage have built them for hp and torque, not mileage. a factory 360 in great running condition will get good mileage so long as you're light on it.

a 318 will be interesting, but I'm no fan of chrysler products. I wish chryco never bought jeep matter of fact.

a 318 will be interesting, but I'm no fan of chrysler products. I wish chryco never bought jeep matter of fact.

Yeah, too bad GM didn't pick Jeep up. :nuts: They probably would have junked the AMC 4.0 immediately and stuck in the anemic Isuzu four cylinder engines on the low end models. In the higher end models, they would have ressurected a TBI version of their crappy LR2 V6 engine like the 86 MJs had. If someone had to pick the Jeep nameplate up, I'd just as soon have it be Chrysler. At least they kept the MJs going until 92. Their unfortunate fatal mistake was bringing out and promoting the dayem Dakota. :(

No offence, but I think you are mistaken. You had me a bit excited as I want to put a MPI Mopar V8 in my YJ project with the particular trans/T-case setup I have, but couldn't find any way to do it.

I found this info at this link: http://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_post ... 0162#60162

"Note that while the 72 up auto trans is a Chrysler model, it won't bolt to a Chrysler engine, nor will any Chrysler trans bolt to an AMC. The bell is made onto the trans and AMC models have the AMC bolt pattern, Chrysler the Chrysler bolt pattern. All internal and external parts interchange, but the main case (with bell housing cast into it) is different for AMC and Chrysler versions. "

I wish it wasn't so :(

:idea: Guess I may have to do a MPI AMC V8 (with Magnum V8 EFI components and some fab work)

Don't believe everything you read.

I'm an AMC guy, dating to the days of Hudson, before Hudson merged with Nash to become American Motors. I raced and restored Javelins and AMXs with the early versions of the engines in question. The bell housing bolt pattern changed in 1970, when AMC switched from using Borg-Warner automatics to Chrysler. I know the Chrysler trannies bolt to the AMC blocks, because one of my Hudson pals just finished a Hudson street rod using a late AMC 390 engine mated to a 2WD Cherokee AX-15 transmission. The tranny bolted right up the engine like it was made for it (which, in fact, it was, since the late AMC V8s share the same bell housing bolt pattern as the late AMC and Jeep I6 engines).

Don't believe everything you read.

I'm an AMC guy, dating to the days of Hudson, before Hudson merged with Nash to become American Motors. I raced and restored Javelins and AMXs with the early versions of the engines in question. The bell housing bolt pattern changed in 1970, when AMC switched from using Borg-Warner automatics to Chrysler. I know the Chrysler trannies bolt to the AMC blocks, because one of my Hudson pals just finished a Hudson street rod using a late AMC 390 engine mated to a 2WD Cherokee AX-15 transmission. The tranny bolted right up the engine like it was made for it (which, in fact, it was, since the late AMC V8s share the same bell housing bolt pattern as the late AMC and Jeep I6 engines).

I still wish that I could bolt a Magnum 5.9 to my AMC bellhousing, but I cannot find that it can be done.

You state that the Hudson pal bolted a late AMC 390 to an XJ AX-15. I don't see how this proves that a Chrysler tranny bolts to an AMC as the AX-15 has an AMC bellhousing pattern and not a Chrysler one.

In my continued research on this subject, I have found that:

The Jeep/Dodge AX15 5-speed, the Jeep NV3550 5-speed, the Jeep NV1500, the Toyota R150F & R151F, the 87-92 Toyota Supra Turbo R154, the Isuzu AR5 and the Pontiac Solstice\Saturn Sky\Chevy Colorado\ GMC Canyon MA5 5-speeds all share the same case to bellhousing bolt pattern (Large Pattern). As such there are a number of possibilities that can be had when a 5-speed is desired:

88-99 Jeep 4.0L L6 bellhousing: Connects all to any AMC 290/304/343/360/390/401 V8 and any 72 and later 232 L6 and 258 L6.

94-99 Dakota 3.9L V6 Bellhousing: Connects all to any 3.9L V6 and any 273/318/340/360 V8, Magnum 5.2\5.9 V8, 3.7L V6, 4.7L V8, 5.7L Hemi V8, and Jeep 2.8L CRD Turbo Diesel. (Requires use of an 11" flywheel.)

In fact, I have also found that the bellhousing pattern changed in 1972, not 1970.

Here is the link I got this info from:

http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/showthread.php?t=4740

If I can find a Mopar small block laying around, I will take my AMC bellhousing and attempt to bolt them together. I am positive the two won't mate, but if they do, I guess we will have put to rest a lot of questions, and may start in some new directions for projects.

I plan on doing this exact swap and Will fill you in on the details after I do the install...

I have it already Planned out and when The instll is done I will share the build up with The Comanche Club...

I will be using a Dodge MPFI 5.2L NON EGR engine with the 46RH Dodge transmssion and Jeep 242 T-case using Jeep Grand cherokee Exhaust Manifolds...

Thanks is all I can say for now and Will have pics with the build up when completed...

Not sure on the other guys doing this But Axle swap will totally depend on the purpose of the Vehicle...

I will be running a D44 front and Rear....

But that is the least of my thoughts with this install as the engine/tranny swap is going to take more thought and time then a Axle swap... :D

Personally I would use a 360. Same amount of work as a 318, but with much more power. :D

You guys are contemplating different axles, yes?

Down the line I'm going to put together a set of axles for the truck but for now I'm more focused on getting the ball rolling on the engine swap.