4 door Comanche

Long story short: I would like to build a 4 door Comanche. To do this I would like to take time to plan out the build. I need help finding people who have done this. Any links to websites or threads would be helpful.

Thanks.

Ill search for some threads in a sec, there are several on here. The best way to do this is to take a 4 door XJ and splice the rear cab off of the MJ onto it just after the back seat. Then you need to splice the rear MJ frame (as past the cab the uniframe turns into normal frame) into the XJ unibody. To make the rear doors look right you gotta splice the bottom of a front door into the bottom left of a rear door.

I have found these frame dimentions at www.greatlakesxj.com in the tech section.

MJ Frame: http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech/mjframe.jpg

XJ Frame: http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech/xjframe.jpg

I agree with you James. The rear door must added onto to look correct.

I am most concerned on how to tie the rear frame of a MJ onto the XJ and ensure that it is structurally sound.

I have found these frame dimentions at http://www.greatlakesxj.com in the tech section.

MJ Frame: http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech/mjframe.jpg

XJ Frame: http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech/xjframe.jpg

I agree with you James. The rear door must added onto to look correct.

I am most concerned on how to tie the rear frame of a MJ onto the XJ and ensure that it is structurally sound.

good ARC welds and plates on both sides, and top and bottom.

Something like this maybe?:

38749.jpg

Or?

The guy that had that done is getting a new one torn into him by pirate4x4. He did not pay the guy who did it, then lied saying he was in the hospital, now he just will not talk. Before the thread got closed he had singles pages on every tranny/ghey site you could imagine, and he is being drug around on every car forum out there. On top of all that, he came on another forum and started claiming that he was the one who did all the work, then changed his story and said that he paid and paypal must have screwed it up.

here are a couple of pics i have found

the comanche limo:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

from what i can see in the pic this one looks nice:

Image Not Found

this one is ok:

Image Not Found

and then the cut-up XJs:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

and the nicest X/MJ:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

The guy that had that done is getting a new one torn into him by pirate4x4. He did not pay the guy who did it, then lied saying he was in the hospital, now he just will not talk. Before the thread got closed he had singles pages on every tranny/ghey site you could imagine, and he is being drug around on every car forum out there. On top of all that, he came on another forum and started claiming that he was the one who did all the work, then changed his story and said that he paid and paypal must have screwed it up.

Wow, did not know that. I don't want to bring that drama here, i was just showing a good chopped XJ. Richard, they guy who did the work is a stand-up guy.

I would not want to build a XJ in that mannor. The point of the build would be that it was a MJ. I wouldn't consider a Jeep without a MJ bed a MJ.

I could have sworn that www.aev-conversions.com built a XJ in that way. It looked very nice. But notice I called it a XJ. I couldn't find pictures of that on there website. I think they sold it a few years back.

I have a few regrets in my life. Selling my MJ is one of them. I can't wait to own one again. I just need a little more room in the cab of my next one. Don't worry I still drive a Jeep it just doesn't have a bed.

Thanks again everyone for your help on this!

there was a guy here in eureka, nv that took a 4 door xj and chopped the back off or rather partley off and made a pick up bed with it. he said it took about 6 hours (with out paint: most of the body work was done), but it didn't look like my mj. he did a good job, but.... it wasn't an mj. my thoughts? if i could figure out how to make a slightly longer cab for my "eugene" i'd sure give it a shot. maybe something like the old toyota (?) king cab? also, on a side note: my son has my old 2 door xj, 3 in lift 10.50's and 4.o, 5 spd, and my trusty "eugene" can out climb, out mud it.... any idea's as to why?

One thing Ive noticed about the mj is it has a pretty bad blind spot because of the big B-pillar. I guess if you could cut out that vent and slap a narrow lil window kinda like 1/2 of a toyotas then it would help the4 o'clock blind spot. The trucks being uni-body is its curse and redemption. Maybe, if you had a LWB MJ, put a SWB bed on it and extend the difference you'd be pretty close to perfect.

i have a swb.... dang. i passed up a long bed one, as i don't like the looks of that looonnnggg bed and short front, but on the other hand, i can see where it would work to put a short bed on a long bed frame, and then fill in the difference. thanks.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

The second pic answers a question seen in the thread on this MJ a while back. We all thought that they started with older xj doors and put new mirrors and door handles on it based on how it is not a full front window. But if you look at the interior door panels they are newer style ones. I guess that he started with 97+ doors and added half windows to it.

Now based on the rear doors, I wonder if he started with a 2nd or first gen XJ. My guess is that he started with a 97+ xj and a 1st gen xj and used the 1st gen XJ for parts.

EDIT: It looks like everything in the rear is 1st gen and the door panels in the rear are actually front door panels off of a older XJ. Rear seat is also off of an older XJ while front seats are off of newer XJ. Hmm...

• 4 years later...