newbie saying hello

oldrusty

Well I figured that Id lurked here long enough so I might as well join up. Just wanted to say that this is a great site. Which has provided me with alot of usefull info since I aquired my comanche. Id love to introduce you all to "rusty", however I can't seem to figure out how 2 post pics. I'll have to work on that. :wavey:

ok so lets try posting some pics...

so here's my little beater. 1989 Pioneer lwb with a 4.0 and 5 speed.....here's its story.....I was doing some landscaping 2 summers ago for a guy when i noticed what I thought was a cherokee behind the garage covered with a tarp.. I figured Id ask about it (wife drives a 2000 xj, might be good 4 parts...right?). So anyhow when I asked about it the guy says, " that poor things had it." He goes on to say that hed like to get rid of it... So now I'm figuring I'll offer him a couple of hundred bucks for itwhen he says," Id give 50 bucks to have it hauled outta here." Told him id be right back. Went home, got my z71 and trailer and hauled her home........

Guess I still need some practice with the pics....lol The only reason th po parked it was the busted rearend.....It ran like a top. Ive had to do a few things with it since then.....but what can you expect from a 19 year old truck with 170,000 miles!!!!!!! Has been a great little ride but it seems to be running a little rich right now. Still runs smooth but seems to be using more gas than it used to....... Oh yeah I'm also trying to track down the cause of a nasty case of death wobble.

[img][/img]img][/img]

Since Ive brought it home I added a rear spring over( had to replace the busted d35 that was there when I got it.). Snowplow. And better stereo.

Try organizing your photo addresses better (one address per line of text). You've got IMG tags all over the place. :typing:

Guess I still need some practice with the pics....lol The only reason th po parked it was the busted rearend.....It ran like a top. Ive had to do a few things with it since then.....but what can you expect from a 19 year old truck with 170,000 miles!!!!!!! Has been a great little ride but it seems to be running a little rich right now. Still runs smooth but seems to be using more gas than it used to....... Oh yeah I'm also trying to track down the cause of a nasty case of death wobble.

Good thing you were paid to take that truck, because now your going spend, spend, spend on it!!! :D :cheers:

J= Just

E= Empty

E= Every

P= Pocket

image_209027.gif

Nice shop by the way!

When you insert an image highlight the web address and then click the Img tab on top, or type this [ img ][ / img] around it not having any spaces.

Read this too..... <<>>

We used to have that page here on CC, but I couldn't find it. Maybe it was done away with during the revamp.. Anyways go to that page and read up a bit on BBCode. It should help you better understand how written code works.

As for the DW, start by inspecting the easy to check things, like track bar loose at either end, lca bushings worn (or loose), play in tie rod ends.

Also take a tape measure and try to measure your toe in. It is supposed to be 0. After I lifted my front I had DW so violently at only 35 mph that it killed the bearings in my alternator. Also popped off the radio face plate, opened the glove box and dropped the ds visor. Turned out the lift pulled up on the steering, causing 2" toe in. Aligned it as close to 0 as I could measure and all is fine again.

Could also be caused by an out of balance front tire. Rotating your tires front to back would eliminate that, or could be done to check.

There could be 101 causes for DW, and they have 101 different fixes.

Besides my alignment problem after the lift, my truck had DW when I bought it. Was caused by a combination of a bad lca and a worn out track bar frame mount allowing play (and possibly a bad front axle U joint). A while after I fixed it it came back, and this time is was the track bar being loose at the frame mount because the cotter pin came out and the castle nut backed off half a turn. I now have after market adjustable track bar and control arms and the steering and front suspension are tighter than they have ever been. Better even than a friend's 01 Grand Cherokee.

My buddy's XJ had DW when he bought it, and it was also caused by play at the frame side track bar mount. New track bar and better used bracket (that did not have an elongated hole like the original) fixed his.

Seems to me a worn track bar bracket is a common cause.

The trac bar is a new NAPA one I just replaced it last fall. All steering parts seem tight to me. Thanks 4 the info on the toe in I'll check that out tomorrow. Does anyone know if there is a way to check the control arms 4 bad bushings. Ive laid under the truck and tried to move them around and they seem tight. Planning on checking the balance on the tires this weekend.

My one control arm would not hold a bushing. I could move the control arm side to side while the bushing stayed put. When I removed it the bushings just fell out (they should be a press fit). New bushings popped in and out using my fingers...

Got better used control arms and uses a press to press in the new bushings. I have aftermarket control arms now that are WAY better than the factory ones.

That was the main reason th po decided it wasnt worth fixing the rear end. It wouldnt pass Pa sefety inspection anymore. Thankfully the good old Ohio says you can drive anything(almost) as long as its registered and insured. I have been looking for a bed and tailgate for over a year now. Havent been able to find anything that isnt 1000 miles away.