Locking Hubs or not?

Aloha from hawaii fellas. Just joined awsome site lots of info. I'm a proud new owner of a 87 comanche, 4.0, d30/d35 solid shaft up front, 5spd, 5in rancho. Did a couple searches on locking hubs had lots of info for axles equipped with the cad not much about solid conversions. Anyone run locking hubs on there converted d30s? Ive heard that the only draw back is the spinning front d/s. But me I'm sitting high on 33s with a 5in lift, i did not know to ask if the front d/s had been extended, case dropped, pinion angle correction. The old owner wasent real informative he kept saying it was full time 4wd but its not and that it has lockers. She pops and girgles pretty good around slow corners so I'm thinking it does have a locker. so would it be a good idea to throw a set of locking hubs on? Also anyone have any problems with there swaybar disconnects banging there inner fenders over speed bumbs? I think they are the wrong ones. Thanks in advance fellas

Mahalo and Aloha Ryan

I would suggest finding out what is in your differentials before deciding on spending a huge chunk of change on hubs. My guess is that there is a locker in the rear. :thumbsup: Also, unless it is indeed an NP-242 t-case under there, I'd avoid using 4wd on pavement. :cheers:

:cheers: Welcome to the Club...

The hub conversion is very expensive. Click Here to check out the kit to do it. Plus you will need a new one piece axle shaft for the right side.

If the noise is coming from the front, I would be likely to believe that it could be the wheel bearings. ours did then on the YJ when the internal races cracked. They looked good, had no play in them, but they made popping noises in 2WD or 4WD when making turns.

I only know one guy (from the NAXJA North Atlantic Chapter) who has converted a D30 to locking hubs. He used the Warn conversion, but I think Milemarker makes a similar one.

Personally, I think that's the way the XJ and the MJ should have been equipped from the factory (at least as an option from the factory), but marketing looked at how many people would NOT want to get there toes wet locking the hubs and decided against it. I guess if I had a lot of money I might convert a truck or two just to say I've done it, but in practical terms I don't really think it's worth the cost and effort.

Thanks fellas for the compliments. It already has the one peice axle shaft in the front. So all i need is the hub kit correct? Its my daily driver so would like to loose the popping on turns and axle vibes on highway. Does anyone run a similar set up with the one peice shaft locked in at all times and drive um highway? It has the 231 i looked. No one has any problems with there sway bar disconnects? Try look at that pic at how mean the angle of the sway bar is, are your guys ones like this? What you guys think its worth $ take a guess.

Mahalo ryan

Please don't spend the money until you know what the popping and vibrations are from. You'll be spending a small fortune and it may not fix the issues. I have a spool in the back of my MJ and it pops and squeaks everywhere I go. Hubs wouldn't change that.

Well...if it has the one piece replacement and doesn't use the CAD anymore, then that would explain the popping. Hubs should correct that for you and help with vibes possibly. It sure would be nice to know what type of locker was n the front axle though... :brows:

I'm not sure it does i have to pop the pumpkin and look. The owner gave me a "air locker" with it and said the mechanic said it has one and he had um take it out when they put the new shaft. Well turns out its a posi lock. Real mixed signals don't know if he was trying to hide something or he just doesent know what hes talking about. So who knows whats in it. I know when its in 4lo and crawlin i can't make either tire spin she just grabs and crawls. Either way I'm happy with my new truck. No info on the sway disconnects?

those sway bar links look wayy to long for your lift height. unless there mounted to the axle in a way other than the original ones then id look around for some shorter disconnects. jks makes nice ones personally i don't run any but i miss them on highway exit ramps.

Does anyone run a similar set up with the one peice shaft locked in at all times and drive um highway? It has the 231 i looked.

Chrysler stopped using the disconnect around 1991. All XJs built since then, as well as the last few years of the MJ and all years of the ZJ, had a solid axle shaft on the right side and no disconnect. That's not what's causing your popping. It sounds like the previous owner may have FUBARed the front locker by driving in 4WD on pavement. If the transfer case is in 2WD, there's no power to the front wheels and a front locker should be free-wheeling, not locked. I'm guessing yours isn't unlocking.

Well turns out its a posi lock.
If it is one of the "clam shell" style lockers like a Lock-Right, then the popping noise you are hearing is a normal part of their operation. Putting hubs on it would stop that on the road, but that is a lot of money to spend just to stop a little noise that is not hurting anything and will still be there when the hubs are locked ;)

All this speculation about what might be wrong or what differential you might have is driving me nuts. Your truck has obviously been modified. At this point you have no idea what is in your front differential. Unless you enjoy spending lots of money on something that is not necessary, remove the differential cover and see what is in there. Take a picture, post it up, and we should be able to tell you what is in there. If nothing else it may at least let you know if the previous owner screwed something up. Plus, it's one of those maintenance things you should always do when you buy a used vehicle. :thumbsup:

Never trust what a previous owner tells you about a vehicle. Find out for yourself. As it seems in this case, most sellers don't actually know much about what they are selling. Now that I think of it, the same is especially true for new car dealers. :brows:

Willy