Damaged box... need advice

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing a comanche 4x4 short box.... the problem is that the box is damaged on the passenger side

beyound repair.

Does any body have any pictures with the box off (so i can see if it looks bad...)?

How about any pictures of a custom offroad boxes?

Any advice?

Oh ya Comanche's are rare where I am so finding another box is out of the question.... :(

LMAO..... nice box!

TOO BAD IT's NOT AN OPTION SINCE I'm IN CANADA LOL

Opps... You were wanting a picture of the frame rails... hehee..

I misunderstood..

Ol' Dirty has a "semi" flat bed on his truck..

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

These are a few I found on one of his build threads.

You can still find boxes. I used http://www.car-part.com to find a rust-free short-bed for $325 this past summer. If you go the bed less route, keep in mind that you will need to engineer a way to support the fuel tank and cover the tops of the wheels.

Here is a picture of mine with the bed removed. I applied POR-15 to all exposed metal before I attached the new bed.

Where in Canada are You? I am in Ontario and I have a Real nice MJ Box here that I would consider parting with if If need be as I am not in dire need of it as my Project MJ has a great Box on it already... I picked it up on a 92 MJ I got for parts and planned on getting it painted to drop onto my 89 MJ since the 89 Box is almost not worth repairing sinceI use it for my Offroad shop and Haul parts and scrap with it...

Good luck in your search

Jeepman:

That box you have, what size is it, what shape is it in and how much do you want for it? I travel between OH and Ontario a number of times a year and even though I usually cross at Port Huron/Sarnia, I could (and have) cross at Buffalo/Fort Erie which would take me by Hamilton.

Might be interested some time late winter/early spring.

The Box is a 6Ft Box and In Great shape with only two spots for repair as they were hidden under the flares...

Price well I am not sure yet because I got it to swap onto my 89 but My painter just does not have the time to paint it and get it ready for me to install... I would think that it would not be worth it for you based on the fact that you can just as easily go south and find a similar if not Better condition box for the same money because the more I think as I type I realize that there is NOTHING up here in reasonable shape for even an expensive price...

I will think about it a little more and You can PM me an Offer if you would like and I will let you know...

Thanks

Alex

I guess I'll share a bit about what I learned with my semi-flatdeck thing.

If you decided to use wood decking (I did, because it was free) mount it recessed around the perimeter of the deck. I didn't. You can see how peices of my deck are missing in a couple of the photos. They get rubbed off.

Again, if using wood decking, attach it better than by putting wood screws through some angle iron. It was fast and easy, but not as strong as I'd have liked. Since I used tounge and groove, it wasn't as big of a deal. To do it again, I'd use a bunch of 1/4" bolts with penny (fender) washers under the heads, and possibly take a forstner (sp?) bit to counterbore for the bolt head/washer.

Don't build the thing out of 2x3x.188 HSS. It's not needed. And way heavy. To do it over, I'd probably do the main parts with 2x3x.125 and a couple X braces with 2x2x.095. If the rear was a bumper as well, I'd do that with .188 perhaps.

Build a recessed tail-light mount. I never got around to it.

What else? I'm sure there's lots of other stuff I did wrong. But it was a good beginner fab project. The dimesnions for the bed mounts are really easy to work with. So it isn't hard there.

I'm pretty sure the rear of Pong is 1.75x.120 DOM tubing. Which is pretty standard for a tube chassis, or exo cage.

The shackle mounts are fairly simple, IIRC. All that is done is a 3/4" hole is drilled through both sides of the peice of 1.75" tube, and a peice the inside width of the shackle of .75x.120 tube is inserted into the hole and welded in. This allows a 1/2" bolt to go through nicely with minimal play.

But, I'm going by memory on this. I've never seen Pong in person.