5.3 vortex in an mj

hey guys i am new the the mj thing but i want to do my truck right. as of now i have a ford 8.8 rear 6.5 long arm y link lift and 35 1250 15s and i cut the hell out of the fender wells for the tires. but my question is has any one done a 5.3 chevy in to a mj if so can i get a list of things i need and where i can get them cause i can find anything i guess i might not know where to look thanks and please help my jeep is slow

l_e8183e4bfb1d48ba4b504b4bfa274eea.jpg

l_6fb8c8c794ccaded2b1926fffe3d139a.jpg

l_4b8ff216a0f84b2baa11c2f487a2ca0e.jpg

l_901ad15520d8410191636bd5b6e3d708.jpg

l_6cb39b794bd941ddba987e8195959afc.jpg

l_111406b5f1394359b527b8e45f01c8aa.jpg

well i have not done it personally. and don't know any one who has into a mj.

But i have messed around small blocks and i have always wanted to do a ls based motor swap in to something different.

motor mounts would have to be fabbed, or you could buy some and drill/bolt and measure it all yourself.

You would have to go to a gm trans 700r4 t350/t400. with trans case.

Good new is that you can get a carb kit for them now for around $700 And it comes with msd control box with different curves. and Wires to connect to the knock sensor and cam angle sensor...etc. and you don't lose power just MPG.Plus with cam swap and new valve springs you can push over 400Hp out of a stock ls1. And still get decent Mpg For how much power. And goes for all ls based motors. great power and fuel economy

if you can get a 5.3 go for it. any ls based motor they are all the same out side demension. so if you did a 4.8/5.3 you could change or swap out later.with out much work. just getting everything over to the ls is the most work.

4.8 and 5.3 are only different by the stroke and the rod length....

5.3 and 6.0 is only bore. and they are just iron block with different cam,intake,acc, pulley. etc.....\

ls1.ls2.ls6.ls7... are all alum block.

so i would say go for it. i have always wanted to just havent had funds..... Dreams don't pay for anything. But i might know someone you could get a 4.8 off of cheap with 65,000 miles i think. complete...

I think it would be awesome and i have a 4.8 i could get my hands on i already thought about this. ALOT lol

and might do it later down the road.

i would run a stand alone fuel and ignition system in it. keep it fuel injected and then youll make some serious power. as far as tranny goes i would go with a granny tranny (SM-465) or a Turbo 400. 700R4 will most likely break right as you reach the top of a rock pile.

A stand alone fuel system would be nice but they are expensive. Plus you don't lose any power by being carbed.

The Megasquirt is a cheap Stand alone FI system......it can be had for $200-300. completely tunable from a laptop.

You may not loose any power(when everything works right on the carb) but the FI will be more reliable, need less adjustment, etc etc.

Most people run away from FI because they think it will be too hard to make it work.

Most people run away from FI because they think it will be too hard to make it work.

funny. I run away from carbs for the same reason...

Same, I hate carbs, finicky bastards, never really run quite right, always stink, never run right after you have a few thousand feet of elevation change(most of our trails in colorado have that much change).

simple fuel injection is nice and easy to setup and run. I've seen alot of people run away from the electronic injection system of the KJ CRD. Seems wiring is something that people have a hard time figuring out.

thanks fir the info. this what i have in the garage 01 5.3 vortex wiring harness and ecu and 700r4 trany and a transfer case out of a 3/4 ton 78 ford pickup. i was thinking i could do the wiring like as if it was a tj wrangler. the plus with the old t case is i can do a twin stick setup which would be sick. sorry to ask again but how do you put pics up i really want to share my project with everyone.

want to talk wussy motor i have an 11 sec 1980 malibu :) and that was before recent mods but i love the 5.3

And i checked on the mega squirt and for a gm motor its like 1200 for the whole package. so its acually cheaper to carb. just my 2cents. maybe not that is just all i could find. but i have never messed around with efi so you prolly know more about it than me.

funny. I run away from carbs for the same reason...

Same, I hate carbs, finicky bastards, never really run quite right, always stink, never run right after you have a few thousand feet of elevation change(most of our trails in colorado have that much change).

simple fuel injection is nice and easy to setup and run. I've seen alot of people run away from the electronic injection system of the KJ CRD. Seems wiring is something that people have a hard time figuring out.

Some quadra jet carbs adjust to elevation and angles automatically. The hunk I have on the top of my motor is just such a piece. I got it from a guy who used to backdoor parts at GM's SPO so I am not sure if it is a production part or not but I like it.

You can buy a complete Vortec 5.3L with computer and wiring harness for less then $1000. All you have to do is hook up a few wires for power & gauges ect. and you are ready to go :idea: , Carbs are so 20th centry :shake:

All you ever wanted to know about LSx motors and more can be found here:

http://www.ls1tech.com

Another plus for FI is you don't have to worry about angles and your float bowl. As long as the fuel pump can suck fuel out of the tank, it will run equally well no matter what angle your vehicle is on.

I would go with the 700r4 instead of the 400. It is plenty strong enough for a truck as light as a Comanche. Plus, when crawling you should use your transfer case low range any way, which will lessen the strain on the tranny even more. The added overdrive would be nice for highway driving.

I had some goober try to show off with his Vette tonight. I just finished adjusting the AFB and timing (also put premium gas in for the price difference of $0.05 so it was $2.05!)

He gunned his motor next to me at the red light (probably figured the beat looking old Chev truck couldn't do s#!t!) Burned rubber to the next light then did it again. "Vroom! Vroom!" When the light turned green, I launched the throttle and held on while the whole truck body twisted and took off, scaring the bejesus out of "mr Vette" with the roar from the headers and smoke from the posi 14 bolt spinning the 33/12.50 tires. Wish I'd had a camera to catch it, because I'd swear it lifted one tire! (this is a 5th wheel hauling truck don't forget!)

• 3 months later...
I had some goober try to show off with his Vette tonight. I just finished adjusting the AFB and timing (also put premium gas in for the price difference of $0.05 so it was $2.05!)

He gunned his motor next to me at the red light (probably figured the beat looking old Chev truck couldn't do s#!t!) Burned rubber to the next light then did it again. "Vroom! Vroom!" When the light turned green, I launched the throttle and held on while the whole truck body twisted and took off, scaring the bejesus out of "mr Vette" with the roar from the headers and smoke from the posi 14 bolt spinning the 33/12.50 tires. Wish I'd had a camera to catch it, because I'd swear it lifted one tire! (this is a 5th wheel hauling truck don't forget!)

Reminds of of the time I was sent to pick up a new Vortec 454 3500HD dump truck for the landscaping company I worked for. Kid in a ricer was sitting next to me at the lights revving his engine, so when the lights changed I accelerated a bit faster than I normally would have. Next light he was doing it again, so I let him have it pedal to the floor. He got smoked by a dump truck! :banana: