dana 30

No, any Cherokee or Comanche with the full time 4wd option will have it. That would be the Selec-Trac option. I don't know when all it was available, but my buddy's 90 Cherokee has it.

And I agree with 89eliminator. High pinion for strength and better front drive shaft angle, non disconnect because of less trouble.

A couple of weekends back I was rather embarrassed that I needed 3 tries and a running start to get up the first hill on the "easy" trail. It wasn't till a quarter mile later I realized my front axle wasn't pulling. Turned out the vacuum lines had fallen off...

-Yes, any XJ with fulltime 4wd will be non-CAD. This is because if the CAD was accidentally disengaged while driving in AWD (like if the vacuum line was snagged by a branch), the t-case would pretty much self destruct in short order. The CAD was phased out in the early 90s and was completely gone by 94.

-The Bigger U-joints were found in ABS equipped XJs in the early 90s and then all XJs had them starting halfway though 94 if I remember that right.

-In 2000, the XJ got the low pinion Dana 30.

-The axle shafts with the bigger U-joints (either from an XJ or TJ) can be easily swapped into an older Dana 30, even a CAD Dana 30.

"New Process NP231 Command Trac: 2-speed, chain drive, part-time 4WD. 2.72:1 low-range. 87-01 2.5l 4cyl and 4.0l I-6 models with manual or automatic transmission. 87-89 21-spline input, 90-01 23-spline input. The older models used a vacuum switch to activate the dash indicator lamp and engage the front axle disconnect. Newer (non-disconnect axle) versions used an electrical switch to activate the dash lamp. The shift indicator pattern is 2WD > 4WD high range part-time > Neutral > 4WD low range part-time.

New Process NP242 Select Trac: 2-speed, chain-driven, part or full-time 4WD. 2.72:1 low-range. 87-01 models with 4.0l I-6/AW4 automatic transmission only. 87-89 21-spline input, 90-01 23-spline input. The shift indicator pattern is 2WD > 4 high range part-time > 4 high range full-time > Neutral > 4 low range part-time. "

from what this says ive gathered that if i want to run the non disco dana 30 i have to run a NP242 and that limits me to only an aw4 auto trnas?

If you wanted to run the NP-242, then you have to have the non-CAD axle. But you don't need a 242 to run the non-CAD axle. The 242 is dependant on the non-CAD, not the other way around.

Also, you don't need a little light to tell you you're in 4wd. You've got a big ol' lever for that. :D

You also don't need an auto trans to run a 242. You can run it behind a manual as well.

I think it was just only offered from the factory like that, because "obviously" anyone that can't be bothered of pulling a lever when 4wd is needed wouldn't want to have to shift while driving. :nuts:

Then, of course, there's people like me(and I'm sure I'm not the only one here) who are initially baffled at the lack of a clutch pedal when climbing into an automatic and shuts the motor off before putting in it park...

That being said, I would like to add that the only Jeep in my sig that was an automatic was the J10, and that was in the process of a 5 speed swap when I had to get rid of it.

Lastly, remember that the 2000 and 2001 Cherokees and ALL ZJ Grand Cherokees have the low-pinion D30 front axle. So you're really looking for an XJ axle between 1995 and 1999.

Everything I've read points to the switch from 260x to 297x u-joints occurring some time in '96.

Willy

ALSO, what is the difference between a 4.0l and a 4.0HO cherokee? will the HO not work for a swap?

The original 4.0L was used from '87 - '90. It used Renix (Renault/Bendix) fuel injection, a closed cooling system, and was rated for 177 HP - if I remember right.

The HO 4.0L arrived in '91. It used Chrysler fuel injection, a open cooling system, and was rated for something like 190 HP.

This is of course a simplified comparison. There were many other differences between the two - intake, exhaust, etc.

Willy

Lastly, remember that the 2000 and 2001 Cherokees and ALL ZJ Grand Cherokees have the low-pinion D30 front axle. So you're really looking for an XJ axle between 1995 and 1999.

Everything I've read points to the switch from 260x to 297x u-joints occurring some time in '96.

Willy

Pre 96 with ABS had the 297x u-joint

ALSO, what is the difference between a 4.0l and a 4.0HO cherokee? will the HO not work for a swap?

The original 4.0L was used from '87 - '90. It used Renix (Renault/Bendix) fuel injection, a closed cooling system, and was rated for 177 HP - if I remember right.

The HO 4.0L arrived in '91. It used Chrysler fuel injection, a open cooling system, and was rated for something like 190 HP.

This is of course a simplified comparison. There were many other differences between the two - intake, exhaust, etc.

Willy

will a trans and tcase off a HO cherokee wokr on my 4.0l? or are there issues I'm unaware of?

will a trans and tcase off a HO cherokee wokr on my 4.0l? or are there issues I'm unaware of?

They will work, you will just have to be sure that you have the correct parts to match it up. The pilot bearing/bushing is typically the one little thing that trips most people up.

Willy

Which transmission? The AW4 should work. I don't have a lot of knowledge of the manual transmissions.

Willy

If you use the tranny you'll also need to use the TC. Their was a swap in spline count when they did away with the Renix era motor's. It went from a 21 spline output on the AW4 to a 23 spline output. So the TC input shaft must match the tranny output shaft.

Also the HO did away with the cable driven speedo cable on the 96+ as well as the vac pump to control the CAD on the D30. So if your going to be using the tranny/tc off of a HO I'd personally go with one from 91-95 so you don't have to mess with your gauge cluster. The CAD is another issue though that can be easily solved with shimming the CAD over, running a 1 piece shaft, or with the 4x4 Posi-Lok setup.

Also the HO did away with the cable driven speedo cable on the 96+ as well as the vac pump to control the CAD on the D30. So if your going to be using the tranny/tc off of a HO I'd personally go with one from 91-95 so you don't have to mess with your gauge cluster. The CAD is another issue though that can be easily solved with shimming the CAD over, running a 1 piece shaft, or with the 4x4 Posi-Lok setup.

I think you have a typo there. I'm pretty sure the switch to an electronic speedometer occurred in '91, not '96.

Also, even if you do use a transfer case from a Jeep with an electronic speedometer, there is no need to to swap out the gauge cluster. Your existing speedometer gear housing and cable will bolt directly into every Jeep NP231 that I know of.

Willy