Will ZJ front coil springs fit an MJ?

Yes. If the ZJ is a V8, they'll probably give you more lift than advertised. XJ Up Country (factory +1") springs are the same part number as ZJ V8 springs.

A bit off-topic, but the ZJ V8 sway front bars are the same as the XJ Country sway bars too.

• 9 years later...

Hello everyone,

I know this thread is old and I recently joined this forum. 

I acquired an 89 MJ Pioneer 4.0 2WD Auto about a month ago and pulled front coils from a 94 ZJ 5.2 V8 to level the truck, they seem tall, approx. 19.5", wondering if I need to change out the front shocks and or track bar with these coils.  will these lift it 2" ?   My rear is jacked up a little over 3" higher at the rear fender well..

What does the 19.5" dimension refer to, the free length of the springs, or the measurement from your axle centerline to the wheel flare with the springs installed?

As I posted previously in this thread, ZJ V8 springs are the same springs used in the late-model Cherokee 4.0L with the Up Country suspension option, which rides 1" higher than the standard suspension. How do I know this? I own two 2000 XJs. The front springs in my '87 MJ are tired, so I wanted to buy new springs and I thought the Up Country springs would be a good choice. So I crawled under the first of the 2000 XJs when it was new, read the number off the tag on the spring, and called my dealership parts guru to order a pair. And his immediate response was, "Why are you ordering Grand Cherokee springs for a Comanche?"

So ... ZJ V8 springs should lift a 4.0L Comanche 1 inch higher than stock. You don't need to change the shocks or the sway bar links to use those springs.

49 minutes ago, Eagle said:

So ... ZJ V8 springs should lift a 4.0L Comanche 1 inch higher than stock. You don't need to change the shocks or the sway bar links to use those springs.

OP pulled used springs from a 24+ year old ZJ. Who knows how they will settle out....

9 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

OP pulled used springs from a 24+ year old ZJ. Who knows how they will settle out....

Agreed. But the MOST they should produce is a 1" lift in an 4.0L MJ. His MJ is 29 years old, so he may be starting from a settled ride height, too.

They won't produce 2 inches in the best of circumstances. Add a pair of 1-inch (which I think are really 3/4-inch) lift spacers and he'll be in the ballpark. Of course, he could just use 2-inch spacers, but with the ZJ V8 coils he'll have a higher spring rate for a former ride, and should end up at about the same height.

• 10 months later...