Yes I'm clueless! What's a dana then?

Jerry

Hi all, newby from the UK here again :wavey:

I thought i'd say hello and put this in the pub cos it's such a simple question it doesn't deserve a spot in the tech section. I grew up on a diet of European cars and don't know nuffink about North American ones yet and since we moved left of the Atlantic and I bought my lovely Comanche (1986 2.8L V6 Manual money pit! :D ) I keep hearing all these references to running gear that I don't understand. Really simple stuff too! :oops:

Please can someone describe in idiots langauage what all this Dana stuff is about? Why is a 44 better than a 22(?). Is it to do with gearing or load rating or what? :dunno:

Thanks in advance :wrench:

P.S for those that saw my first newby post a while back, I've got the air leak fixed, the floors welded up and it's in the shop at the moment having it's Peugeot tranny bearings repaired. And now I'm broke :D

If your truck is a 86 modell its very likely that your rear axle is a AMC20. I have 2 86 modell MJ's (2.8L and 2.1diesel) and both have the AMC20. Picture of AMC20:

axle_amc20.jpg

can't really tell if they are good or bad, but they should be almost as strong as the dana44 rear end.

If your truck is a 86 modell its very likely that your rear axle is a AMC20. I have 2 86 modell MJ's (2.8L and 2.1diesel) and both have the AMC20. Picture of AMC20:

axle_amc20.jpg

can't really tell if they are good or bad, but they should be almost as strong as the dana44 rear end.

AMC20's are prized possesions and an excellent axle.

axle_amc20.jpg

Hey Joop! That's Yucca-man's axle. Got a pic of your own two AMC20's? Just want to see if your junk in Norway rusts as bad as in Colorado. :cheers:

No it's not, that's my AMC-20. I'd recognize that Michigan rust anywhere. :D

The properties on that pic were from Jim the yucca-man on NAXJA; I had no idea it's was your's Pete. But now that you mention it - it had to be MI rust. It's so uniformly distributed over everything. Don't happen that way in CO, only in MI. :cheers:

Hey Joop! That's Yucca-man's axle. Got a pic of your own two AMC20's? Just want to see if your junk in Norway rusts as bad as in Colorado. :cheers:

I just google'd amc 20 and that was the best picture that came up. I don't have any pictures of my own axles, but the one in the diesel is worse than the one in the picture :( I guess norwegian rust is just as bad as yours...

You said you had the 2.8 and your peugot tranny's bearings replaced? They didn't put the BA 10/5 behind the 2.8, your trans should be an Aisin AX-5.

Unless of course by some 0.0003% chance it is, since nothing's certain on these things. If you could get a pic of the motor and trans from underneath, that'd be interesting to see.

I just google'd amc 20 and that was the best picture that came up. I don't have any pictures of my own axles, but the one in the diesel is worse than the one in the picture :( I guess norwegian rust is just as bad as yours...
Thanks for the replies guys, learning all the time :bowdown:

Were Comanches sold in Norway Joop?!! We didn't get anything nearly as interesting in the UK, just the Cherokee

You said you had the 2.8 and your peugot tranny's bearings replaced? They didn't put the BA 10/5 behind the 2.8, your trans should be an Aisin AX-5.

Unless of course by some 0.0003% chance it is, since nothing's certain on these things. If you could get a pic of the motor and trans from underneath, that'd be interesting to see.

My local mechanic who's fixing the tranny bearings told me it is a peugot box :dunno: He said he expected it to be a Toyota gearbox and it seemed unusual that it was a Peugot. That sound right? Is there anything good, bad or indifferent about the Aisin AX-5 or BA 10/5? It's a five speed if that's any help in working out what type of gearbox it is? :cheers:

EDIT: Just noticed! both those codes have a '5' suffix, guess that means 5 speed so that don't help do it! :clapping:

And yes i'll get a pic of it's belly once it's back from the shop :thumbsup:

The BA 10/5 was used behind the 4.0(which replaced the 2.8 ) in 87-mid 89. There should not be a BA 10/5 behind your 2.8 since they didn't put them there. As far as I know, there's no bellhousing that exists to do it, unless you have one custom made. I'm not saying it's inherently bad that you have it if you do, since the 2.8 shouldn't be able to kill it, but it shouldn't be there.

It'd just be interesting to see, so if you could get a pic that would be schnifty.

2.5 I4 - AX-4, AX-5

2.8 V6 - AX-4, AX-5

4.0 I6 - BA 10/5, AX-15

My 86 has only been in Michigan for a few years. The rest of its life was spent rust-free. :(

No it's not, that's my AMC-20. I'd recognize that Michigan rust anywhere. :D

Hey Pete, how much HP gain do you get with that free flow exhaust. :rotf:

I've seen less rust on 20 year old warships.

j/k Pete

:cheers:

Mine has just a stock muffler, then a glass pack to make it to the next hanger, then a downturn in front of the axle. Got some deep resonating rumble at just above idle (my daughter says it sounds like a stereo), then quiets down with more throttle.