Converting an Auto to Manual?

How would some one convert an automatic comanche to manual? The truck was converted from a 4 banger stick to a 4.0L HO auto, I want a manual back how can I do that? I got a list of stuff I think it would need, but please throw in some suggestions as you see fit. And I don't want to hear "its a waste of money and time, go buy stick comanche". I want to throw the NSG-370 in it, you know the new 6 speed from the rubicon wranglers. They did it in JP magazine, so why can't I. here's the list............

NSG-370

NV241 transfer

manual trans crossmember

clutch pedal and bracket

clutch pedal cable

neutral safety switch

And thats as far as I got but i know theres more

I'm under the impression that the auto and manual trans crossmembers are the same. Just the trans mount and maybe the location is different. But since you're going with a trans that never made it into an MJ or XJ, you might need to go custom.

I haven't looked uner the dash in awhile, but I don't think there's a "clutch pedal cable". Jeep transmission have a hydraulic clutch action. You'll need the slave-to-master hydraulic assembly. I don't know how the NSG-370 slave compares to the older transmission slaves.

And I always enjoy shifting gears. :D

I would go with a stick any day of the week. More fun better mileage and less loss of power through the auto trany. Did you consider going with an Ax15, alot more simple. Oh, whats the deal with the truck parked beside you, looks bad@$$.

you don't need an NSS as its in the tranny. but instead just have the two wires that complete the loop always connected so it will start. i have a clutch pedal assembly, master and slave for a 3rd gen camaro hanging around you can have for 20 plus postage. but i think if you went to the salvage yard you could find a assembly out of a comanche. not sure what your gonna do about slave cylinder though. maybe a pressure fitting connecting the slave for the new tranny to the master? or maybe brake line?

The only reason I want a stick back is cuz its kinda cool and the selection of what gear I'm in sounds great. I got an AW4 right now and i don't know if its cuz its old (131500 miles) or what but I'm sick of it, can't control second, overdrive is worthless up hills on the free way. And wheeling is just kinda boring just kinda rolling over stuff. I want it to be fun and challenging.

I was just gonna read up on how JP did it, probly try hit up that guy who owns the comanche Pete Trasborg or something i forget his name. At least you guys were supportive, most jeep guys (wrangler owners) say its a damn waste of time and money.

As for that truck thats sitting next to mine. Some guy was racing it at Mopars At the Strip here in Vegas. I think it was a SB mopar engine, 318-360. Everything was gutted, new rear end, FAT slicks, and of course the bad A$$ 6 pack hood. Never got to talk to him though, he wasnt around. But it ran 13.5 in the 1/4.

The only reason I want a stick back is cuz its kinda cool and the selection of what gear I'm in sounds great. I got an AW4 right now and i don't know if its cuz its old (131500 miles) or what but I'm sick of it, can't control second, overdrive is worthless up hills on the free way.

What gears are you running in the axles?

yes, it's slightly different. I found this out the hard way recently when I swapped an AX15 into my rig......dimensionally they are identical, but in the center of it where the tranny mount bolts the AX15 crossmember is dished out by about 1". I tried using my original AX5 mount, which is the same part # as the AW4 and BA10/5 mount that wasn't dished out and the AX15 sat 1" too high. Couldn't get the TC linkage to hook up, and my cat converter was hitting the floorboard. See the bottom of page 4 of my build thread for a pic of what I'm talking about:

http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11205

Your swap worked fine, but you could probably swap the AX15 crossmember you have with an AW4/AX5/BA10/5 one and raise your tranny up a tad in the rear. But if it's all working good, I'd leave well enough alone ;)

"Should"?

When I opened the dif to see what I broke the gear said 4.11, so i figured that the shop i went too put that back in. They put a posi in there too but hey i guess i blew that up or something cuz its worthless.

Thats what I figured, time to hit the junk yard. But I was probly gonna hit 2 birds with one stone and bolt the TNT belly pan and long arm kit on. But thats the part list i figured. I read the JP magazine write up and it looked easy. just go by what they did.