The economy... UGGG

SuperWade2

How worried are you dudes? Have you guys cut back on stuff already, stockpiling food and guns? (I'd actually like to get a Hand gun, but can't really justify the $$$ right now).

I had to drop a bunch of $$$ this past week for a Tranny and AC Compressor for my Tahoe and we are getting ready to leave for a week at Disneyland and San Diego...

So I guess we are not really cutting back too much yet, but the Mrs. is starting to get tweaked a little bit... we both have decent jobs that I think are stable (her's probably more so than mine because people are always going to need medical care, but might not always need computer Hard Drives).

We are upside down on our home loan (lived in less than 2 years) as the "value" had dropped over $100K since the time we bought. I'm not too worried as I have no plans to move long term as long as I can make my payments every month.

I just wanted to see what you guys were seeing everywhere else around here.

It's going to be a bit of a rough ride for a while, but I think we'll (America) be OK over all. I am in the same boat with the job outlook...should be OK on mine, but the wife has nearly 23 years in Pharmacy and should be no problem. We are in great shape on our house owning less than half of what it is actually worth even in the defalted market right now. I think stock-piling and guns would be a bit of a drastic measure right now, but who knows what the next few years are going to bring.

I'm okay with the house so far. Bought it for $65k three years ago, owe <$50K. But my job is not a stable any more as it once was. May possibly have to go looking. Or maybe just ride it out to the end.

Either way, I just got my quarterly statement for my retirement and over the past 3 months it lost more than $8k in value.

@%&* stock market!

I'm liking the current gas prices, though.

Pretty good shape here. Union settled on contract w/ company 31 Aug., right before the feces hit the rotating ventilation system. We're okay for the next 4 yrs at work. Oldest turns 18 in June( reduction in child support). Hopefully

I can finally buy my own place. Need more room for toys( trucks, trains, and tractors). 8)

It's going to be a bit of a rough ride for a while, but I think we'll (America) be OK over all. I am in the same boat with the job outlook...should be OK on mine, but the wife has nearly 23 years in Pharmacy and should be no problem. We are in great shape on our house owning less than half of what it is actually worth even in the defalted market right now. I think stock-piling and guns would be a bit of a drastic measure right now, but who knows what the next few years are going to bring.

My Wife is a Pharmacist and it seems no matter what, they are in pretty high demand (based on the number of recruiting flyers and calls we get with ridiculous sign on and relocation bonus amounts to move to REALLY crappy locations...

I wanted to be out of my house this year, won't happen now I'm afraid,. 401k's not looking good, I'm alot less aggresive than I was in the last turndown, actually made money on a fixed contract fund. I'm 3 years from retiring from the fire dept, I'm contemplating my next career move. Wife desperately needs a newer car, not happening. I feel like the smartest man alive driving my $500 Comanche w/no payment. I'm not "playing" as much now, offroading, kayaking, geocaching and the like. Not doing without necessities, but not splurging. We're pretty confident about ours jobs, so we'll ride it out.

i'm not really worried, to be honest. even with all the 'crisis' on the news, we are still in about the same place as far as investments as we were 10 years ago. mostly, people will be fine and this 'crisis won't make a big difference one way or another. government will keep making bad choices, and we'll live. it's not like we're in africa where poor means you're dying.

I had one of those chatter guns with the can in VN. Bought it off an ARVN at his guard post for $20. About 2 wks later I picked up an M2 for $10 or 15. To long ago to be accurate on price. Yeah the economy sucks, Bayliner is closing three plants, one here, and more of my friends are gonna be outa work. Were helping a couple of them now.

Meh i'm not really too worried at all. i have no stocks and i rent an apartment. Not worried about my job as long as people are hungry. i chuckle a little every time i hear on tv "crisis". Just history repeating itself as it seems to do, We'll be fine :chillin:

Well I am more worried about my job then anything else. We are in contract neg. and the company has said they are going to reduce the hourly workforce by 15% (66)ppl by the fall of 2009. I just got demoted due to the elimination of 4 jobs in my department. So now I am in the labor pool at work. Currently I am still in the same department, but that could change. The silver lining in all of that it I am the 4 person on the labor pool list.. which means they are 30+ ppl behind me.

My house we owe just over 50K and it is valued at almost 200k per assesment, actual value is more like 150 or so... so real good there. Wife is a Pharmacy Tech, so she has good employability. She can start having a real commute to work (right now her commute is 5 min.) for roughly 10K more a yr.

My 401k..WOW I have lost some value, but when I started to see some of the funds I was invested in stop paying dividends... I changed my stuff up to target retirement funds. Last time I checked, I was loosing money.. but only pennies per shares.. not dollars. I am also putting as much as I can afford each week into my 401k... its a clearance sale right now.. buy cheap sell high :brows:

I agree right now is the time to put money in. Too bad i don't have money to put in. The company owes me about $5000 in retirement and I reminded him now's a good time to pay it, but again, the money ain't there. Can't deposit what you don't have.

yes, this is a great time to invest if you have the money to do so. too bad i've got a few hundred a month going out for student loans. the thing about investments is they go up and down, don't put what you can't afford to lose in and plan on leaving it alone for 5 years at least, avoid single stocks in favor of long track record growth stock mutual funds. it's not like mcdonalds, walmart, gm, att, and all the other major corporations are going to be worth nothing anytime soon. things will look better after november 4th, whatever way that turns out.