TIRES

BREEZE1

Whats up guys??

I just wanted to ask what every ones tire preference is, and why? I really like the BFG mt’s but I don’t want to pay for them. ive never had a set but I have a few buds that do and ive seen those babys work. And they work well. My experience with tires consist of cheap’o mud tires (witch work great for the price), pro comp x-terrains (good rock tire, no reverse in mud though), and Goodyear mtr’s (they have to be real big to be ok in the mud, great on rocks). I like how the Dunlop mud rovers arnt too expensive, but I don’t think they look too good in a bigger size. I would love to see a picture of a mj or xj with a set of Dunlop mt 35’s under it.

:redX:

I really really like the Michelin Hydrotread....

.... for the minivan. :D Also good for cars I suppose. I don't own any cars. It gives superb traction and is a 90k mile rated tire. Just be aware that it is directional and at one point in time you may need to have them remounted on the rims and switched left to right.

For trucks, I like the trXus MT, but I wouldn't necessarily want to DD it. It's a heavy tire and balancing can sometimes be a challenge.

My 2 suggestions are always:

A: buy lightly used tires rather than new.

B: get a second set of rims for offroad tires. A lot of tires are decent compromises, but nothing beats a street tire for the street and an offroad tire for offroad. jamminz.gif Bias SXs ftw!

I also like the BFG's.

I agree with Pete, watch local jeepers and buy a used set!! I have had at least 6 sets of them, most go to 60,000 miles and a couple have been bought used, NO issues, Just be sure they are marked for rotation.

Dunlops are a good tire but made from a much softer compound, you will not get the mileage from them. Yes, I have owned two sets of them as well...

CW

I love my MTZs on my TJ. I run the 33x12.50 flavor and they have served my well for over 2 years now. They are good on road and great offroad. I bought them at 160 a tire, now it looks like they are up to 195. I think that even at that price I would buy them again. Not that I have too though, I have 20k+ miles on them with lots of tread left, atleast another 20k until they don't pass inspection.

Although two sets of tires sounds nice ... its a real pain in the rear end having to switch out tires twice everytime you go wheeling. I did that for about 6 months before I sold the street tires and just DDed my MTs.

And x3 on the like new tires, I'm on my fifth set and I have always sold my tires at 1/3 the price of new. There are great deals out there, if you can live with second hand tires.

... its a real pain in the rear end having to switch out tires twice everytime you go wheeling. I did that for about 6 months before I sold the street tires and just DDed my MTs.

Well, your MTs are a compromise tire leaning to the offroad side of the middle. Try DD'ing TSLs and you'll think twice. :D But then, some of us don't get to go wheeling all that often. :(

I agree that swapping tires can be a pain, but it's totally worth it to be able to run the boggers. jamminz.gif But then I carry a floor jack, co2 tank and impact gun to make the work breeze on by. :brows:

worst part of DDing boggers isn't the ride, balance or any of that... its wearing out your beautiful boggers on pavement :cry:

i shed a single tear at the thought!

You need to ride around the block on mine then. Anything over 5mph becomes painful to your kidneys. Of course, they well used and I don't think they'd ever seen pavement before.

shiver.gif

The BFG mt's are probably going to be your best for overall use. I personally prefer the Swamper TrXus MT Radials and have no trouble with the ones that are on my MJ...even at 70 MPH on the HWY, but they were hard to get balanced and do have some "small" vibes on the road sometimes.

I run the Xterrains on our YJ, but it is primarily a rock crawler and sees absolutley no HWY use. The yare great on the rocks, but not real good in mud. Stay away from the Goodyear MTR's as they are trash and will try to kill you on the HWY as they have NO traction in wet weather or on slippery roads. They are pretty sticky for rocks, but I would never trust my life to them on the HWY.

I will say this about the x-terrains, you can cut right though a water puddle on the road. I’ve had the cheap’o 31” mt’s that would put you into the other lane if it was raining, but when I bumped it up to 35” x-terrains they were great on wet roads!! You could hall a$$ when it was raining and not worry so much. And yes goodyear mtr’s suck when its wet. I ran 37”s they were ok but you get them in some mud or muddy rocks your out of luck. I can only imagine how bad they would suck if the were a smaller tire. :nuts:

Ask 100 different people what the best tire is and you'll get 100 different answers. It really depends on what your going to be using your Jeep for and what type of terrain you'll be using it in. Also it depends on your location, as "mud" in the west and "mud" in the east are 2 totally different things.

We used to be BFG MT fans, but we've been running the Maxxis Bighorn's now and love them. We love them so much it's the ONLY tire we sell. :D

Wow... I have run BFG MT's and was disappointed with the sidewalls (2 times). I have run the x-terrians.. and did not like them. I had wear issues. I have no a set of Pro Comp At's with great resultsd for an AT. Even went places that bigger and better tired rigs could not go. Laslty I have run Mud rovers on the trail only, and have been pleased with them so far. My next set of tires is going to be either a set of LTB's or TSl's for the Turd. I am hoping the upgrade will help me when I am trying to do the crazy stuff I like to run

Ask 100 different people what the best tire is and you'll get 100 different answers. It really depends on what your going to be using your Jeep for and what type of terrain you'll be using it in. Also it depends on your location, as "mud" in the west and "mud" in the east are 2 totally different things.

We used to be BFG MT fans, but we've been running the Maxxis Bighorn's now and love them. We love them so much it's the ONLY tire we sell.

I have seen a few good deals on those bighorns. Looks like your running a good deal on them too. We might just have to do some business.

(ok i don't know how to do the quote thing) :hateputers:

Wow... I have run BFG MT's and was disappointed with the sidewalls (2 times). I have run the x-terrians.. and did not like them. I had wear issues. I have no a set of Pro Comp At's with great resultsd for an AT. Even went places that bigger and better tired rigs could not go. Laslty I have run Mud rovers on the trail only, and have been pleased with them so far. My next set of tires is going to be either a set of LTB's or TSl's for the Turd. I am hoping the upgrade will help me when I am trying to do the crazy stuff I like to run

Swamper Q78's probably the last tire youll ever own :)

I think the swampers are cool and good looking, but they are toooo bulky in my eyes. i don't think they are too much of a rock tire but for anything else they are great. i don't see why people put them on beadlocks!!!???? heck you could run no air in those things on regular wheels. i do like the tall and skinny ltb's or tsl's. anyway thats just my my opinion on interco tires. but opinions are like a$$ holes everyones got one and they all stink!! :chillin: peice, fat boy is bout to go get his eat awn!! I'm out!!!

I might get my head chewed off But .

For an all around trail tire. I 've been using the pitbull growlers . and so far . haven't tried them on Mud .. yet. But a little rock, sand. river creeks and Silt. :eek:

33's on 8" non bead. and 7-8 psi. Like a charm.

Granted they are Bias and heavy compare to radial 33's.

Well that's my story :)

Cheers & Peace ;)

I think the swampers are cool and good looking, but they are toooo bulky in my eyes. i don't think they are too much of a rock tire but for anything else they are great. i don't see why people put them on beadlocks!!!???? heck you could run no air in those things on regular wheels. i do like the tall and skinny ltb's or tsl's. anyway thats just my my opinion on interco tires. but opinions are like a$$ holes everyones got one and they all stink!! :chillin: peice, fat boy is bout to go get his eat awn!! I'm out!!!

Promise not to chew on your head! haha... Seriously New England is FULL of rock, equal rock to mud, and they perform great on both... boggers have been known to kinda suck on rock, but there is a guy in my club running 35" boggers and he walks all over the rocks, plus its all Dan Dibble uses, haha (youtube that name). It seems that swampers are the desired tire for off-roading here in NE, I think they would to great anywhere personally. Lastly, about the beadlocks, I have seen and heard of these tires coming off of many rims, but they usually are being run at lower psi like 5 to 10, I run mine at 15 and have never had a problem. And the guys I know that run beadlocks are doing some serious rock climbing, or just flat out want the look and can afford it :)

I will say this about the x-terrains, you can cut right though a water puddle on the road. I’ve had the cheap’o 31” mt’s that would put you into the other lane if it was raining, but when I bumped it up to 35” x-terrains they were great on wet roads!! You could hall a$$ when it was raining and not worry so much. And yes goodyear mtr’s suck when its wet. I ran 37”s they were ok but you get them in some mud or muddy rocks your out of luck. I can only imagine how bad they would suck if the were a smaller tire. :nuts:

I have no clue what sixe X's your running, but I'm running 33x12.50 and REALLY have to watch it in the wet stuff. The lightest touch of the gas sends the back end out.

yeah i live up where it snows like 50-60% of the time so i gotta run mud terrains only in the summer so i'm thinking I'm gonna go with the all terrain its what i have right now on my pathfinder and they work great but i wanna get some feed back on there bighorn tires how are they on snow and ice?

88manche4x4

Jeeper

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:17 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BREEZE1 wrote:

I will say this about the x-terrains, you can cut right though a water puddle on the road. I’ve had the cheap’o 31” mt’s that would put you into the other lane if it was raining, but when I bumped it up to 35” x-terrains they were great on wet roads!! You could hall a$$ when it was raining and not worry so much. And yes goodyear mtr’s suck when its wet. I ran 37”s they were ok but you get them in some mud or muddy rocks your out of luck. I can only imagine how bad they would suck if the were a smaller tire.

I have no clue what sixe X's your running, but I'm running 33x12.50 and REALLY have to watch it in the wet stuff. The lightest touch of the gas sends the back end out.

I was running 35/12.50/15. The difference here maybe the vehicles? I was running these tires on a 4cyl yj with 4:10’s. The yj has a better weight distribution than an MJ (that’s if your talking about them on an mj). Plus with the 4cyl and the gears it didn’t have to much grunt. Idk I never had any problem with them. :roll: