#%$@&$$@

mvusse

Yeah, I didn't have the correct (metric) socket, so I used a close imperial size that kind of worked. It twisted so badly stuck on the nut it will not come off without cutting it. I tried everything else I can think off, but it's not hurting anything, so I'll just leave it there.

If I still have the Jeep, it'll help me get the springs of next year when I lift it.

Yeah, I didn't have the correct (metric) socket, so I used a close imperial size that kind of worked. It twisted so badly stuck on the nut it will not come off without cutting it. I tried everything else I can think off, but it's not hurting anything, so I'll just leave it there.

If I still have the Jeep, it'll help me get the springs of next year when I lift it.

thats not a bad feature, maybe your on to something :brows:

can anyone say lawsuit? :D . sorry bout that tho, that really sucks. i think if i ever got hit like that I would have to jump out of my jeep yelling things like "THIS IS A CLASSIC WTF!!!!" lol not that i would care cuz mine is a piece anyway, but it would be funny

soo...funny thing about this whole thing is the day after this thread was posted, i had a fender bender. it was my fault. the guy was in a 94 or newer integra. we were both turning right, i thought he started to go so i looked to see if i was clear, then i notice that no, he didnt go. i slamed the brakes and barley tapped him when i stopped. we pulled over and there was no damage at all but he wanted my info anyway :mad: . lol i guess thats what i get for being a smartass earlier :

They supposedly mailed me a check today for $913.75 and I'm keeping the truck with a clear title. I tried to get them to go higher, but they said they can't without totalling it.

That should pay for a bed, a bunch of rattle cans, half of a 3" lift (3" front, Chevy drop shackles in back) and gas to and from Badlands Oct 25. jamminz.gif

They supposedly mailed me a check today for $913.75 and I'm keeping the truck with a clear title. I tried to get them to go higher, but they said they can't without totalling it.

That should pay for a bed, a bunch of rattle cans, half of a 3" lift (3" front, Chevy drop shackles in back) and gas to and from Badlands Oct 25. jamminz.gif

We have a(n insurance) lottery winner! Nice!! :cheers:

(BTW I hope that is what you wanted!)

A high school buddy of mine totalled his 1992-ish honda (crap condition) and it wasn't his fault. 8)

Got enough insurance money to buy a 2002. :eek:

He didn't get hurt, so I called him a lucky SOB. :roll:

This happened back in 2004 too.

Man al least you got to keep a clean title, but that accident will still show up on a carfax.. Sounds like you came out smelling like flowers instead of something else!! ;)

Very few accidents show up on carfax. I would be surprised if this one did, though to be fair carfax is managing to snoop around and intrude more into our personal lives so it might happen.

Man al least you got to keep a clean title, but that accident will still show up on a carfax.. Sounds like you came out smelling like flowers instead of something else!! ;)

Very few accidents show up on carfax. I would be surprised if this one did, though to be fair carfax is managing to snoop around and intrude more into our personal lives so it might happen.

Might be deferent in CO I know in NC it has to be reported to the state if any funds were giving,, something like that.. I'll ask a friend of mine exactly what it is that happens.. He was telling me something like not very long ago..

Well, if that's enough to make you happy, I'm glad it seems to be working out. But I reiterate -- I don't think they get to choose to "total" your vehicle. And they are "letting" you keep YOUR vehicle? How bloody generous of them. What the blazes esle could they do? They can't steal your truck or cancel your title. If you don't sign off on the settlement -- there isn't a settlement.

Too bad the other driver is a friend ... sort of. That insurance company really needs to be taught some manners.

Well, if that's enough to make you happy, I'm glad it seems to be working out. But I reiterate -- I don't think they get to choose to "total" your vehicle. And they are "letting" you keep YOUR vehicle? How bloody generous of them. What the blazes esle could they do? They can't steal your truck or cancel your title. If you don't sign off on the settlement -- there isn't a settlement.

Too bad the other driver is a friend ... sort of. That insurance company really needs to be taught some manners.

no offense Eagle, but have you had to deal with insurance companies very much? I've got the EXACT SAME damage for the most part, worse even, and can't get a dime out of them even though facts show the other guy is at fault. he was even issued a ticket. wtf? i say he's lucky to have gotten anything so quickly.

I have had exactly two cases where the insurance company wanted to total my car.

In both cases, I was able to negotiate reasonable settlement with the insurance company. The first time, I had a 1969 Corvair tat was stolen and recovered. The wanted to total the car but ended up fixing the car to my satisfaction. The key was to tell them to just buy me another vehicle of the same year and same condition. Well with only 4500 1969 Corvairs made they had a problem finding a replacement, but I was able to find several replacements because I was in a national Corvair club.

The other one was an 85 Mustang GT. I had the car parked in the garage of a year (less than 400 miles on a new set of tires). I would have sold the car for $4400 just so I did not have to let my kids drive it. With some work, I got $5500 for the totaled car.

By the way, I had let my daughter drive it over to a friends house and she went to a school dance with a date. A kid from the same dance took out the car when it was parked. Main thing is that nobody got hurt, just a couple of cars.

Well, if that's enough to make you happy, I'm glad it seems to be working out. But I reiterate -- I don't think they get to choose to "total" your vehicle. And they are "letting" you keep YOUR vehicle? How bloody generous of them. What the blazes else could they do? They can't steal your truck or cancel your title. If you don't sign off on the settlement -- there isn't a settlement.

no offense Eagle, but have you had to deal with insurance companies very much? I've got the EXACT SAME damage for the most part, worse even, and can't get a dime out of them even though facts show the other guy is at fault. he was even issued a ticket. WTF? i say he's lucky to have gotten anything so quickly.

This is status quo for insurance Co's. Adjusters don't keep there jobs long PAYING CLAIMS!! That's why you need to get a lawyer, or KNOW the law.

There is also the people aspect, new adjuster, no claims, sympathy vote or maybe just a kind hearted soul who hasn't been corrupted by the system yet.

In any event, The bottom line is: If you have damage from an accident. Said accident is NOT your fault. (IE the other driver getting the ticket PROVES responsibility.)The other driver indeed has insurance. OR with "NO FAULT" you have coverage that pays for that damage, you are entitled to get the vehicle repaired. As long as the damage doesn't exceed 2/3 - 3/4 the value of the vehicle. If it does, that's when the vehicle is declared a "TOTAL LOSS". At that point you would receive the value of the vehicle as cash.

If there is any "problems" you get a lawyer. Once you get a lawyer, all of a sudden they don't treat you like "some dumb kid". (No offence meant) As a matter of fact, they CANNOT deal with you at all. EVERYTHING goes thru the lawyer AND the cost to the ins CO goes UP UP UP. As lawyers in such claims work on a 1/3 cost. In other words, 1/3 of EVERYTHING they get for you goes to them, so its in there interest to get you as much as your due.

CW

Again...it depends on the laws in your state, but here when ours was damaged by the 15 year old, his parents insurance had to fix it regardless of the cost. Total loss was not an option. The repairs came to 98% of the value according to the body shop that did the work, but they had to fix it.

IMO...$900 out of that is getting reamed, not lucky. They should have had to have it fixed for you...not just hand you money and walk away :roll: . I guess if you are happy though, that's what matters :cheers: .

no offense Eagle, but have you had to deal with insurance companies very much? I've got the EXACT SAME damage for the most part, worse even, and can't get a dime out of them even though facts show the other guy is at fault. he was even issued a ticket. wtf? i say he's lucky to have gotten anything so quickly.

This doesn't seem right. Maybe it's the state your living in and it has particular local laws. But why would someone be able to get into an accident, have total fault for the accident, and only recieve a slap on the wrist from the cops? Did the insurance companies even talk? The only case I could think of is if they didn't have insurance (which is illegal in most states anyway and they would recieve much more than a simple traffic violation ticket).

No offense, but you got screwed.

Here in Ohio, if the damage is over 75% of the vehicle they total it and essentially buy the vehicle from you. They pay you the value (according to an independent appraiser) of the vehicle and take your title. You can usually buy it back for $100 or so (less than scrap value), but you will get back a salvage title. Then you need to have it inspected to get the title changed to salvage-repaired in order to be able to plate it, but it will never be a clear title again. For me to pass inspection I need to replace the parking brake cables, replace the windshield and get a cat. Not worth it. I would have instead looked for another one (like the one it Attica with 287k that needs an engine for $500) and change stuff over from my old one.

In order to keep the truck with a clear title they could only pay me $913.78 (I already have the check) instead of the $1098.07 the body shop quoted because the truck only appraised at $1218.38 Don't ask me where that number came from. That actually surprises me a bit with the big rust hole in the side of the bed, the dents and rust all over the place, multi colored white/black/grey/dark grey/hunter green/teal front end and rotted rear bumper.

Some time in the future I will go vacationing in the south to hopefully pick up a bed in better shape, as it is honestly not worth repairing this one. Meanwhile the insurance company is paying for my lift.

And here in Ohio, if you don't have insurance, you are automatically found at fault for the accident, no matter who caused it. But from dealing with my insurance when a drunk biker without insurance OR a license went left of center and hit my Suburban, I don't wish that on anyone. It is a HUGE PIA to deal with that, and you don't get your deductible back until the insurance has been reimbursed fully, which can take years.