Herc/Rhino/Line-X and other 'bedliners' for sound deadening?

Anybody thrown it on the floor/firewall/etc instead of the carpet/foam? Quiter? Louder? Didn't notice?

I pulled the carpet out of this cher-o-pile today and don't really feel like putting it back in. I've got some bedliner, thinking of throwing it on the floor and up to the firewall instead...

I don't want this thing to be any noisier than can be expected. I'm also torn on giving up the carpet as it probably helps keep the cold out in the winter.

Thoughts?

I think you could get some sound proofing by lining the cab floor and firewall, but I think you'd have to go the spray in route to ensure you got adequate thickness. You might be able to do 2-3 applications of roll-on and get some decent thickness, enough to provide a noticeable drop in road noise IMO. If you look on the spray on brands website's, I believe on of them has a product that is formulated for that purpose.

I did the POR-15 and then bedliner over that on my floor. I didn't notice it being much louder but it does get a bit warmer around the transmission tunnel.

I removed my headliner and that did make it quite a bit noisier, but then I used the rubberized underbody coating with sound deadener on the ceiling and I think it is quieter than it was with the headliner in.

What is it? I couldn't find it... I'm thinking it's a deck coating? Which is basically what some bedliners are...

If your asking me, It is actually the type of stuff used to insulate pipes and stuff. But it also come in sheets. Ill see if i can find it again.

What is it? I couldn't find it... I'm thinking it's a deck coating? Which is basically what some bedliners are...

If your asking me, It is actually the type of stuff used to insulate pipes and stuff. But it also come in sheets. Ill see if i can find it again.

I think you got it a lil wrong,, its frost king.

Used here on a VW Van

frostking-insulation-duct_lg.jpg

Whatever you do, don't use roofing tar. No matter how convenient it would be to use some from the half-can in the garage. Man what a mess that was. :(

I'm sorry but that is one of the funniest things ever sounds like a prank or something. lol sorry Pete not making fun of you sounds like somthing I would try. :laughin:

Whatever you do, don't use roofing tar. No matter how convenient it would be to use some from the half-can in the garage. Man what a mess that was. :(

I'm sorry but that is one of the funniest things ever sounds like a prank or something. lol sorry Pete not making fun of you sounds like somthing I would try. :laughin:

Make all the fun you want, it was a bonehead move for sure. :roll: I'm not the only person to think of it though. A few months ago I was able to discourage someone from trying the very same thing. Life is all about passing on knowledge. :cheers:

Make all the fun you want, it was a bonehead move for sure. :roll: I'm not the only person to think of it though. A few months ago I was able to discourage someone from trying the very same thing. Life is all about passing on knowledge. :cheers:

I wonder who that was.... :D

:thwak: :dunce: JT, you so crazy!

:thwak: :dunce: JT, you so crazy!

I still used the window flashing 1/2 asphalt 1/2 rubber stuff.. just on the roof though, here's another crazy idea I heard.. :brows:

Take a 1/2 gallon of latex paint and mix in a 1/2 gal of sand and then paint it on ... jamminz.gif

i used window flashing to quiet up my daily driver ( i used protecto seal from home depot but peel and stick by mfm building products is more common) and it worked great.

I pulled all the interior panels and carpet and stuck it to the floor and laid some jute from the fabric store over it and it brought the noise down quite a bit. I would definitly recommend it to you if you want to bring the noise down.

I read up on sond deadening materials... But I don't want to go that route for the floor. I think I'll just throw some liner on it and see how it goes. I'll stuff the XJ's carpet into the cab of the MJ for now, and take it to the dump if I find the noise level acceptable. Or I'll just throw it out and get a new one later. Although, I do have to admit, this XJ did have nice carpet except for all the broken glass.

Of course, I need to make/steal a new hedliner and a bunch of interior peices before I could really say anything for sure. It's a little lacking right now.