Shed a tear at the Junkyard today...sad sight

offroader461

I call that "broken in". Don't have to worry about getting that first scratch on the trail. :D

Come up to Michigan. I'll show you what a trashed truck looks like. Floors missing, rockers toast, bed looks like swiss cheese... :brows: You guys in the no-rust belt are spoiled. 8)

I call that "broken in". Don't have to worry about getting that first scratch on the trail. :D

Come up to Michigan. I'll show you what a trashed truck looks like. Floors missing, rockers toast, bed looks like swiss cheese... :brows: You guys in the no-rust belt are spoiled. 8)

I know we are arent we,,, :D the bad thing about it is not "everyone" down this way even know or care about these disappearing trucks...

turbo diesel eh? :D does it pack some power under the hood?

Not exactly. But anything with a turbo attached has potential. :brows:

a whopping 85-ish horsepower, with low to mid 100's in torque. 4.10 gears make it go 65-70mph with 28" tires and a 5 speed, and don't expect to get much faster than that without redlining the turbo. of course, this is if it's in good running order.

a head for one lists at 1300 bucks, and that's not even out of a jeep (winnebago lesharo..needs some holes tapped and different springs IIRC). head gasket is $140 at cheapest, with 4 different variations. the turbos are pretty indestructable, but wastegates are a b*tch on them (poor design IMHO).

prone to cracking at the starter mount on the bellhousing (aluminum bellhousing so must be professionally repaired). the starters go out constantly, so always have a spare around the house...have your old one rebuilt when it does break, as you cannot really purchase them "new" and they cost twice as much as a rebuilt. replacing them is a 5 hour process (after doing it several times) as you have to dismount the left side of the engine in order to remove it, and there just isn't much room in there.

the great thing about them though, is that the fuel system is completely mechanical. the pump is driven by the timing belt, but MUST be kept timed with the motor (for obvious reasons).

these are a detonating engine. replace the timing belt as per spec factory mileage...DO NOT EXCEED the mileage as directed by the factory, for the simple fact that the belt going on it WILL cost you thousands.

sorry for the thread jack.