Clean 88 MJ Pricing???

bark

What is an acceptable price for this MJ? I have a 92YJ D44s D300 36s to wheel and I am thinking about buying this one as a daily driver and keeping it stock. I have torn my buddies XJ apart plenty enough to know what is mechanically sound, so working on this thing (hopefully I don't need to) would be a snap.

I have no idea how much this thing is worth and the book value for excellent condition is $2100. The guy is asking $3500. I am new to this forum so any help would be great.

88 Pioneer

4.0 Auto

4x4

Short Bed

AC leaks dry within a couple days

Chain is stretched in the x-case so no 4wd right now until the chain is replaced

New front unit bearings, bushing, and brakes

He says no real rust (that he sees)

250,000+ miles

Edit: The fuel gauge doesnt work and the rear bumper probably needs to be replace due to dents.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I don't know where you are as your location is not filled in, but here in FL, it would be worth about $2500 MAX....and I personally would not pay more than $1500 to maybe $1800.

They go for lot more further north & west though when in good shape.

The fuel gauge is not working either. The guy said that the fuel pump and sending unit was recently replaced so I can only assume the gauge itself went out. Where is the best place for MJ parts and would I be better off trying to find one in the junk yard?

Was nicer than mine (by a good bit) that I paid $2K for with 206K miles (with suspension that was shot, and a pretty tired engine)...I think some of the guys here are "spoiled" by good deals...

I personally don't think $3K is out of the question if it were me spending the $$$.

I don't know where you are as your location is not filled in, but here in FL, it would be worth about $2500 MAX....and I personally would not pay more than $1500 to maybe $1800.

They go for lot more further north & west though when in good shape.

Wish my area of florida had your pricing :brows: Everything is ridiculous around here

That truck has been repainted. Or otherwise fiddled with.

Look at the dashboard in the interior picture. The instrument cluster is an idiot light cluster. That only came on the base models, but that truck has painted flares and a matching lower panel. I don't think there was any model that came with accent-colored flares that had idiot lights. It also has a 3-spoke Sport steering wheel and "hockey stick" armrests, which doesn't match up with idiot lights.

If you're seriously interested in that truck, I'd take a VERY hard look at it, up close and personal, before committing to buy it.

Look at the dashboard in the interior picture. The instrument cluster is an idiot light cluster. That only came on the base models, but that truck has painted flares and a matching lower panel. I don't think there was any model that came with accent-colored flares that had idiot lights. It also has a 3-spoke Sport steering wheel and "hockey stick" armrests, which doesn't match up with idiot lights.

If you're seriously interested in that truck, I'd take a VERY hard look at it, up close and personal, before committing to buy it.

My 89 Pioneer has/had Hockey Sticks, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel and had Idiot Light Dash until I swapped it out... but I guess I don't have Accent colored flares (just white), so maybe the combo of those things is what you are talking about Eagle...

/just sayin'

SW2

Never say never when it comes to Jeeps. You should know that by now Eagle. :D

My 88 dealership brochure shows idiot lights as standard in the Pioneer and has a pic of a disembodied (for lack of a better word) dash with the 3 spoke wheel in front of idiot lights..

Especially if you're north of the Mason Dixon line. Pull the carpets, and bring a magnet........

My 89 Pioneer has/had Hockey Sticks, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel and had Idiot Light Dash until I swapped it out... but I guess I don't have Accent colored flares (just white), so maybe the combo of those things is what you are talking about Eagle...

/just sayin'

SW2

Mine too. Idiot lights, 3 spoke wheel, and hockey sticks. But red flares on a red truck; also a pioneer 89. It does look to be painted tho. The pioneer decal is gone and the paint isnt brighter where it was like it usually is.

As far as the paint goes. The guys said that it isnt the original paint job but it is the original color. He says it was sprayed with red primer prior to being painted this color. That makes me assume there is over spray somewhere. He also said that the paint is bubbling and/or peeling in some locations. There is also a "fingernail" sized crack inthe dash. I don't know how long he as owned it.

I definelty plan on going over this truck with a fine tooth comb and looking for anything unusual. I have owned my YJ for 8 years and know my way around many Jeeps. There just arent any MJs around here for me to look at. I will already have to make a road trip just to go look at this one. You guys are the experts on MJs and those are the kind of eyes that I need to look this truck. Of course pictures can be deceiving...

Especially if you're north of the Mason Dixon line. Pull the carlets, and bring a magnet........

Did you mean to say carpets? I would assume to check for rust. Why bring a magnet. I would assume bondo because rust still sticks to a magnet.

I am currently daily driving my sprung over 2.5L YJ on 36 SXs and no AC. I recently switched jobs and gave up my company truck. I have been looking at new full size four door trucks only because they are trying to give them away. I have always liked Comanches but owned a YJ. This truck "APPEARS" to be solid enough in its stock form to drive ever day after I fix the AC. I was thinking at least $800 for a new compressor and evaporator.

Uhhhhh, ya think? What MJ hasn't been "fiddled" with to some extent LOL?

Repainted? Show me ANY 20yr old vehicle on the planet that has had 250k of road time with original paint that looks like that and I've got some nice swampland in Fla I'll sell you. :brows: And I'm probably wrong but I don't think I've ever seen another MJ with the blue/gold combo (which I think looks really sharp on that truck), so I'm guessing that was never even a factory color option?

I'd also venture to say that accent-colored flares would be any flare that isn't std black, i.e. if it was color keyed to the body like #2s or maddzz's, so based on their "testimony" it seems like it's possible it's just another whacky a la carte Jeep.

Regardless, like everyone else said, look it over closely. That nice paint could be nothing more than lipstick on a pig.

Oh, and I'm with Wade, sorta. If the paint isn't just lipstick and the rest of the truck is clean i.e. no rust (interior pics look pretty decent), I'd pay in the $2's for it. $3k would probably be pushing it for me, but $2's for sure if it checked out.

I was thinking at least $800 for a new compressor and evaporator.
:eek: No, no...you should be able to get them aftermarket for half of that. I just bought a "new" compressor for our YJ for $189. The evap should not be too far from that same price in the aftermarket.

They are discontinued through us (dealership) now, but the compressor alone was $656 when available :roll: .

And I'm probably wrong but I don't think I've ever seen another MJ with the blue/gold combo (which I think looks really sharp on that truck), so I'm guessing that was never even a factory color option?

Pete M Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:25 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never say never when it comes to Jeeps.

Let me add a little emphasis to this. N-E-V-E-R say never.

Why? Because on my morning cruise around the forum about 5 mins ago I click on Pete's link to vast.com and see what's new for sale out there. Ummm, a blue and gold two-tone in Oklahoma. How crazy is that?

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/details?adId=90415637

What definitely is crazy though is the near $6k he's asking for it! Oh, and did you know short beds were "rare"?

Yeah, I had a shop quote me like $1200 to fix the AC in my 88 (as much as I paid for the truck). I bought the parts myself (jcw.com I think) and found a shop offering a deal on installation and the 134 changeover and was cruising down the road for a lot less than the original quote. :D

Would it be ridiculous to try and change the color of the interior? I have seen quite a few XJs in the pick-n-pulls around here but don't know if any of them have an interior much better than this one. THe exterior appears clean but I will have to see it close up. From what you guys are saying, it is definitely not a factory paint scheme so I will keep a close eye out for cover ups.