68/69 chevy C-20...thoughts?

JeepcoMJ

my grandpa had this 68 (or is it 69?...working on the title) up north, and it hasn't been used in years since the brake lines rusted out.

the cab and floors are junk, fenders are junk. everything is straight but just rusty. the hood is OK, grille is decent. dana 44 front and a 14 bolt (i think) rear with 4.56 gears or something like that. top speed was around 55mph at redline

it's got a 307 or something like that (not a 350, i forget what the other engine option was) with an auto trans, 4wd, and a PTO driven dump bed (flat bed) which is in great shape except for the decking. also has a complete plow assembly which is all hydraulic.

the frame is good, suspension is good but joints surely need replaced. brakes all need redone, tires are junk (good tread but weatherchecked) but all hold air and rims are good

what is the aftermarket support on a truck like this? it's passenger drop and I don't want to transplant the parts into a jeep...either rebuild it, or sell it to someone who will (I really, really want a flatbed and a classic would be sweet)

the money isn't really here for the project...and it's kind of a split between my dad, brother, and me on what happens to it I'm sure.

Man you just brought back some good memories. I had a 66 and loved that truck. Was my first vehicle.

Anyway, I know my 66 had very little aftermarket support, but it was a different body style then your 68/69.

However, if you could find a donor below the salt belt, you might be in good shape.

:cheers:

I know my brother in law didn't have any problem finding stuff for his 71, but due to lack of time he sold it half finished to a class mate of his daughter's. He is now working on it with his father and wants to swap in an LS1 they have sitting in the garage. It was a 2wd C10 straight 6, with I believe a 2 link coil sprung rear suspension.

Thats a popular body style, so I think parts shouldnt be too hard to come by. (maybe a little pricey though) The cab might take time to find though.Youve got guys street rodding them, guys doing full restorations, 4x4 fans buiding them etc. so support is out there. If money is an issue right now, look at it this way: The truck is already home. Its not costing a dime to sit,and we all have seen how you find amazing deals!! Plus it has history, so its worth waiting on. The hard part is over, you have a worthy progect, just start savin! jamminz.gif

Like mfpm, a lot of memories on this thread for me. This is one of the 4 on my list that "got away", more on that later. My dad's real estate company had a 72 Chevy 4x4 for it's property mgt dept. When they replaced it in '81 Dad brought it home to use around the house. I remember, vividly, shortly after that when winter hit dad coming home one day with 10-15's mounted on white spokes. Man I was so excited, I thought that was the coolest truck ever. It had a 307 V8 and 4 spd manual. I learned to drive a clutch on that truck! Needless to say, he sold it a few years later to the body shop mgr of the local dealer. IR I can get my hands on one again, I'm all over it. But as already said, it's a hot rebuild right now so even ones in decent shape around here are bringing strong money, i.e. several thousand dollars. I looked hard for one for awhile before falling in to the MJ scene.

Anyway, let me exit off of memory lane here. Aftermarket support should be there. Since it's right there on your property already, I say do a little PM work on the rust, get it inside or cover it up, and get to it when the time and money is available. That body style is a true classic IMO, don't let it go. ;)