Value of stock alloy rims?

summerinmaine

I have left-over stock rims, as seen here:

222706060_y7kGm-L.jpg

and will try to sell them locally (to avoid charging someone for shipping). Any thoughts on what I should expect to get? No serious blemishes, but well-used. There are tires on them, but not worth much.

Those rims (assuming that you can get the tires removed for free) might be worth $40 at the scrap yard near me. Maybe other places are offering more.

The scrap yards around here aren't a very desirable option on either end of a transaction. They have taken the concept of "buy cheap, sell dear" to an extreme.

I'll put 'em up on CL this weekend, and see what happens.

With the increase in metal prices these days you may get more $$ scrapping them than selling them. Just another thought...

yeah but they're sooo pretty.

They are in pretty good shape . . . well, this one did get a little harsh treatment last time I was in Baja:

305605566_JMnHE-L.jpg

Is there any scrap value to old steel rims? I hate to sell of genuine Jeep alloy rims for scrap, but I have a huge assortment of old XJ/MJ steel rims that could be thinned out without hurting anybody's feelings. Worth pursuing?

Not worth much... I took some helicopter blades (time-x'd) to the scrap yard here, about 2000lbs worth. I think they gave us $800 or so (it's not clean aluminum however, so it's a very low rate for aluminum). I took in about 1600lbs of steel on the next load (more helicopter parts) and we got about $100 for it I think.

Clean aluminum is worth a lot more than clean steel.