f1tbiker6's 1989 manche

this will be a long and slow proccess. i bought my 1989 manche about a month ago. unfortunately it was the only comanche in the tri-state area, and it had to be 2wd. problems: leaky gas tank(can only fill up a quarter of a tank), thermostat needs to be replaced, two rust holes, bent and rusted rear bumper, no AC, rattle can paint, tail gate broken, front springs are sagged to the max. the only good things about the truck are obviously that it drives! and its got an all new kenwood sound system in it!

so far i knocked out the tailgate issue and just got a net!

buying a new tank and thermostat tonight.

my plan of attack is to have the beast done by september when i go back to school, so i don't look like an idiot with a beat truck. still not sure on a lift kit, but i will be doing a 4.5" lift with 33x12.5 mickey thompson mtz's, on cragar soft 8's. also still havent picked out a locker for the rear. i also plan to put in a bench seat eventually but that will be last on the list.

i will post pictures of the build as things happen! here's the only picture i have of the manche!

also if you have any suggestions feel free to let me know.

If you don't want it or feel like fixing it I would be very interested in getting it if its rust free and straight. A few dents here and there are ok but I really want one that the sheetmetal is solid and in good shape on.

I can get to the internals, don't worry about that. If the sheetmetal is in good shape, set your price and lets make it happen. ;)

If you feel like taking more pics of it I would appreciate it as it would let me get a better look at it...

i will snap some pics tomorow. i wouldnt even know what to charge for it? or how much shipping would run and how to ship something that big?

Bout $50 for shipping a tailgate (came DHL I think) depending on too/from locations...

Looking good. Better than mine anyway.

Check what rear axle you have. If it's a D35, I would not bother putting a locker in it, as you would probably just end up breaking the differential. If it's a D44 you should be all right.

The MJ's only came with 3 axle options (well 4 if you count both versions of the D35). Non of which where the Chrysler 8.25".

AMC 20 - 29 Spline, one piece axle shafts, 8.875" Ring Gear. Only found in '86 models and worth gold if you can get your hands on one.

D35 non c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 86-89.

D35 c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 89-92.

D44 non c-clip - 30 spline, 1.31" diameter shafts, 8.5" ring gear, 2.75" axle tube - used 87-89.

The D35 (especially c-clip versions) are weak. They are small splined, small diameter shafts and are easily broken. Adding a locker to the mix just puts more stress on the shafts and you'll likely break one. If you want to keep your axle and run a locker I'd highly recommend upgrading to chromo shafts.

i just read that a dana 44 off an XJ will also work on my comanche. does anyone disagree? I'm going to run to the junk yard for a few things and see if i can find a dana 44 of an XJ. how much would that run me?

edit- i also just read that the factory D35 has 27 spline, but there are D35's with 30 spline, how can i know what mine has?

XJ (Cherokee) axles will work on an MJ (Comanche), but not without cutting the spring perches and welding on new ones. Comanche is spring *under* axle, while Cheroke is spring *over* axle.

the spacing between the springs is different also.

i will snap some pics tomorow. i wouldnt even know what to charge for it? or how much shipping would run and how to ship something that big?

Bout $50 for shipping a tailgate (came DHL I think) depending on too/from locations...

You can ship it Greyhound probably for $30 or less. Oh, and I've been told the internals on the S10 tailgate are the same; I know the handles are the same.

• 5 weeks later...
looks good! where did you get that gas tank mine leaks anything over half tank

i had the same problem. does it come out of the opening for the fuel pump? if it does your seal is probably bad. and not to hard to fix

END HIJACK

• 2 weeks later...