Chicks!

Sir Sam

We had some Bantam (miniature) chikens for a while that that we just let roam free in our back yard. My wife built them a nice nesting box to sleep in at night and to lay their eggs in. I am allergic to eggs, but she said they were the best eggs she has ever had...and we had plenty out of 5 chickens :eek: .

They were pretty cool pets as they didn't require a lot of work, but you could pick them up and pet them. They actually would come up to you and beg to have their back scratched buy laying by your feet and spreading their wings out to let you know they were ready for a back scratch :roll: .

I wanted to have dinner out of them when they died off, but Tina would have nothing to do with eating one of her pets... ;) :nuts: :brows:

We had some Bantam (miniature) chikens for a while that that we just let roam free in our back yard. My wife built them a nice nesting box to sleep in at night and to lay their eggs in. I am allergic to eggs, but she said they were the best eggs she has ever had...and we had plenty out of 5 chickens :eek: .

They were pretty cool pets as they didn't require a lot of work, but you could pick them up and pet them. They actually would come up to you and beg to have their back scratched buy laying by your feet and spreading their wings out to let you know they were ready for a back scratch :roll: .

I wanted to have dinner out of them when they died off, but Tina would have nothing to do with eating one of her pets... ;) :nuts: :brows:

Allergic to eggs huh? that sucks!

They are pretty low maintance once they are grown, just kinda wander around eyeing bugs and eating all sorts of little things off the ground. Once they get bigger I will chicken wire my fence (I have this crappy every other fence style for most of my fence), that way they can just scratch and poke around my whole backyard.

I also know the back scratch thing. Our chickens used to do that to. Except when ours did it they stopped producing eggs, they would squat down and spread their wings, once you petted them on the back they would start laying again.

Basically, you have to go out and sex up the chickens every now and then, heck, everyone needs some lovin' jamminz.gif

• 2 months later...

That looks like one of those egg-sucking dogs, and it's just waiting. You can never break them of that habit. :cheers:

Couple of years ago we had a couple of female watch geese that dropped eggs all over the backyard. Man, they were good eggs and one egg made a HUGE omelet. :D They also kept all the riff-raff out; cats, dogs, coons, beavers, everything. But both of them ran off with some visiting Canadian geese that summer out back. Can't trust them Canucks with the women. :Canadaflag: :D

But both of them ran off with some visiting Canadian geese that summer out back. Can't trust them Canucks with the women. :Canadaflag: :D

Actually, it's funny you say that, there's lots of Canadian geese near where I lived in my home town, and every now and then you'd see an odd-ball or two in the flock that were definatly NOT Canadian geese. But it didn't seem to bother them :nuts:

CHICKS???!!!!?!?!

I OWE YOU A CHARLIE HORSE!.....

:mad:

I thought the same thing :mad:

Canadian Goose is in season now.... YUMMY

Man you guys should be happy I didn't post this with the original title like I did on other sites, "Six hot young chicks!"

Good looking chicks you got there Sam.

Got big quick too...what are you feeding those things?

Right now starter feed and all the scraps they will eat. Here pretty soon my starter feed will run out, when that happens I will switch to layer feed. Layer feed has more calcium, which they need for making egg shells, you can actually feed them their own eggshells back for the calcium in it.

you can actually feed them their own eggshells back for the calcium in it.

daymn that must hurt coming back out... :eek:

You mean as an egg?

Well no, I mean...they crap too, right? Jagged pieces might be a little harsh.

Except it all gets broken down anyway, keep in mind they do have a crop where stones are stored for breaking down food.