New tires really old tires

MiNi Beast

I just checked and 3 of my new tires were made in the 36th week of 07, the fourth is 6 weeks older. So less than a year old.

The spare, which came off my F100, was made in 99, which means it must have been pretty much brand new when I bought it.

"These tires are ticking time bombs on people's cars."

Yeah, right. Keep in mind, that statement was made by a guy who earns his living from telling people that new tires aren't "new." Gotta tell you, I'm pretty far into my second million miles of driving and I have never EVER heard of a new (meaning "not a retread," not "less than 6 years old) tire having a tread separation.

Y'all do as you wish. The tires on Old faithful were used when I got them, I've had them more than 6 years, and I'm not concerned that they'll lose the tread. The bigger problem is sidewall cracking from UV and ozi=one exposure. That's more of a problem with tires that don't get a lot of miles, because the rubber tends to lose elasticity faster. Tires with crazed sidewalls are dangerous.

The other problem is running tires underinflated. Ask Ford and Firestone about that ...

"These tires are ticking time bombs on people's cars."

Yeah, right. Keep in mind, that statement was made by a guy who earns his living from telling people that new tires aren't "new." Gotta tell you, I'm pretty far into my second million miles of driving and I have never EVER heard of a new (meaning "not a retread," not "less than 6 years old) tire having a tread separation.

Y'all do as you wish. The tires on Old faithful were used when I got them, I've had them more than 6 years, and I'm not concerned that they'll lose the tread. The bigger problem is sidewall cracking from UV and ozi=one exposure. That's more of a problem with tires that don't get a lot of miles, because the rubber tends to lose elasticity faster. Tires with crazed sidewalls are dangerous.

The other problem is running tires underinflated. Ask Ford and Firestone about that ...

The biggest point that I saw was these places selling "new" tires that were 9 years old... I don't know about yall, but if I'm laying down cash for new tread those suckers better not be 9 years old....

The biggest point that I saw was these places selling "new" tires that were 9 years old... I don't know about yall, but if I'm laying down cash for new tread those suckers better not be 9 years old....

What about all the other car parts at the "big name" suppliers like Napa, Autoxzone, etc. that have 10 year old hoses, or 10 year old bushings, or 10 year old TRE's, etc. sitting on their shelves in a warehouse somewhere that they continue to stock their stores with?

What if I said I had a set of factory MJ bedsides that were "new". We all know those are over 10 years old. Would you be upset if you laid down some cash on those?

Point is that not just the tire industry does it. A part that is not used and in original packaging is considered new; no matter hold old it is.

Non-the-less it's an interesting topic about the tires...

What about all the other car parts at the "big name" suppliers like Napa, Autoxzone, etc. that have 10 year old hoses, or 10 year old bushings, or 10 year old TRE's, etc. sitting on their shelves in a warehouse somewhere that they continue to stock their stores with?

What if I said I had a set of factory MJ bedsides that were "new". We all know those are over 10 years old. Would you be upset if you laid down some cash on those?

Point is that not just the tire industry does it. A part that is not used and in original packaging is considered new; no matter hold old it is.

Yes but tires are $150 ea. compared to $15 ea. I can live with a 10 year old hose or belt, but tires cost to much to be getting some old stock..

its just I'm not going to pay alot for something thats old stock.. That is if I'm buying "new" tires.. I usually buy good used ones because it always seems that I need them when the monies are low.. (which is pretty much all the time)

This is how people get paid. Making up issues to sound the alarm. If they are stored properly there is very little issue. What is okay, 1 month, or 1 year, 3 years, but not 6?

So if you found a 0 mile Comanche in controlled storage, you're not going to buy it because it is 20 years old? How much would you pay for a NOS fuel tank sending unit?

What I really don't understand is few tires are even in production that long. They typically redesign them. Then sell the left overs at left over prices. There is no issue here. The liability lawyers would be all over them. The manufactures can't risk that again. They know tires.

soapbox.gif

Please, no more government regulations! Now what? Are we going to have tire age sensors with our air pressure monitoring systems?

Notice the warehouse was full of rolled SUVs? Most likely driven by people who treat them just as they would a car. They are not cars, they need to be treated differently. People need to learn how to drive and take responsibility for themselves instead of expecting the government to protect them.

I've had several flat tires driving down the highway, on trucks, trailers, SUVs, even had the tread separate on a huge Penske moving truck. I'm yet to lose control and roll over. Apparently I'm doing something wrong. :roll:

Willy

NOS ---- new old stock

this is a term that is used alot in the "classic car" parts areana

In that lil news piece I noticed most of the cars that were rolled/featured were out west. This is where the sun and heat from the roads cause tire seperations from heat.

At the same time I know I have had tires dry rot in my garage from sitting. Granted its not climate controlled, but how many of them storeage whare houses are?

I also agree it seems that this is a way for lawyers to legally extort manufacturers. I wonder if the tires were properly rotated and balanced all their life?

i work at walmart doing tires and ever since this article has come out ppl have been asking to see that dates on tires. we get a shipment in everyweek. in 07' the tires we got were stamped 07' and since 08' the tires have been made in 08'. sure if 20/20 came in they would find a few odd ball special order tires laying around that no one ever picked up with a few years on them. but i don't think the problem is as big as theyre making it out to be. also its amazing how many people walk in there point to the $30 185 50 13 geo metro tires made by douglas (made by goodyear) and say "i want 4 of those" then get pissed when i say we can't put them on. if people cared a little more about the quality of the part theyre putting on their cars rather than whats cheapest and did a little research first the issue would quickly go away.

i work at walmart doing tires and ever since this article has come out ppl have been asking to see that dates on tires. we get a shipment in everyweek. in 07' the tires we got were stamped 07' and since 08' the tires have been made in 08'. sure if 20/20 came in they would find a few odd ball special order tires laying around that no one ever picked up with a few years on them. but i don't think the problem is as big as theyre making it out to be. also its amazing how many people walk in there point to the $30 185 50 13 geo metro tires made by douglas (made by goodyear) and say "i want 4 of those" then get pissed when i say we can't put them on. if people cared a little more about the quality of the part theyre putting on their cars rather than whats cheapest and did a little research first the issue would quickly go away.

Exactly how i feel since i have worked at both Walmart TLE (2yrs) and now at Discount Tire (1.5 yrs)...

Our policy is if ANY tire is more than 9yrs old we will not work on them no matter what the customer wants done...