ADVICE PLEASE for a NOVICE

Where do I start? I bought a 1986 comanche 2.8 v6, 5 speed with about 150K on it for 4 bills. No leaks, drove home 100+ miles without incedent and it starts first crank everytime. My dream! a jeep and a pick-up too! My boys (13 & 7) are excited and so am I. My wife loves it too. I've ordered the Chintin manual. But where do we go from here? How do I know what axles there are? The tranfer case? etc. Is the 86 Comanche the same as a jeep cherokee from that year?

SOOOOOOOOOO Please bear with me any info direction (websites books mag articles) is a score. Thanks in advance Dale

Welcome...

Your rear is "probably" one of these (Could be a AMC20, looks like a Baseketball, if you have the Metric Ton package on your '86)... And yours being an 86, if it's the D35, and original will be the Non-C Clip variety but the housing will look the same)... Front is a Dana30 *unless it's been swapped, which is doubtful

axle_id_01.gif

Differentials.jpg

Here a good bit of general stuff (much of which Pete from here helped to compile I think).

http://www.jeepforum.com/wiki/index.php/MJ_Comanche

Welcome to the Club. :cheers:

This is really the only place for info you'll need. If it hasn't been posted here, someone can help with a link elsewhere. Search works pretty good, just be specific with what your looking for. And don't be affraid to ask questions. Get some pic's up and we'll tell ya what ya got.

:cheers:

Welcome... :cheers:

Feel free to ask away, but don't be affraid of the search feature to try and help you find stuff here too. This site is loaded with info so spend a little time reading and looking.

As said above, you likely have a D35 rear and D30 front axle, but compare them to the pics provided to be sure.

SOOOOOOOOOO Please bear with me any info direction (websites books mag articles) is a score.

First off.......You found it :banana:

Second........Welcome :waving:

Third.......follow the above advice, ask, post pictures, use the search, and you'll find what you need.

And I would have gone with the Haynes book first :roll:

And lastly -

J = Just

E = Empty

E = Every

P = Pocket

Where do I start? I bought a 1986 comanche 2.8 v6, 5 speed with about 150K on it for 4 bills. No leaks, drove home 100+ miles without incedent and it starts first crank everytime. My dream! a jeep and a pick-up too! My boys (13 & 7) are excited and so am I. My wife loves it too. I've ordered the Chintin manual. But where do we go from here? How do I know what axles there are? The tranfer case? etc. Is the 86 Comanche the same as a jeep cherokee from that year?

SOOOOOOOOOO Please bear with me any info direction (websites books mag articles) is a score. Thanks in advance Dale

Damn it man. Get out while you still can.

This club is like the mob. Once you're in you can never get out.

It's like a bad drug. You just keep needing and needing it.

Like having a red headed stepchild, you'd have no problem trading yer wife in.

And about the couch, we're sorry. We'll still trying to collect yearly dues to get it replaced. Please send unmarked bills in small denominations to wahoosteeler@hotmail.com for the anual premium of $113.95.

:D