hello all here is my questions to you.

ok so lets start with my 24 dollar mj ya, 24 bucks, well a 26 of wiskey i have named him spot. hes got a 2.5 5speed and 2wd and I'm wanting to swap it over to 4x4 but i wanna keep it 4cyl. I have looked for some info and found info on a 6cyl but none with a 4cyl. So I'm wondering if anybody has links to biuld ups or just any general info like driveshfts i need i think i need an ax-5 out of a 4x4 4cyl. Thanks guys and gals

Travis

the tare down has started

Mine was an 87 2.5 2WD when I got it, and I converted it to 4WD more than a few years ago. You will need a 4WD AX4/5 from behind a 2.5 XJ or MJ for a direct swap, along with a 21 spline transfer case with a short input gear. Stay away from YJ trannies because they have a recessed output requiring a 21 spline LONG input transfer case (if you can score a YJ tranny/TC combo I would go for it, otherwise stick to XJ/MJ). The only part that you will have to source 4WD MJ specific is the rear driveshaft (as well as bed size), otherwise you'll need to cut your 2WD down or have a new shaft built to size. Everything else can be scavenged as a bolt-in from a 4WD XJ/MJ.

And, welcome to CC :cheers:

Jeff

The conversion is essentially the same, you just need to stick with drivetrain parts from a 2.5L or 2.8L Cherokee or Comanche. You should have 4.10 gears in your rear axle (best to double check), so you'll need to get an axle with a matching gears up front.

thanks for the replies. This is what was expecting to hear i just wanted to double check. I'm headin down to the pick and pull i hope to find a complete 4cyl xj or mj 4x4. Thanks again glad i found this website

Travis

BC is nice, but some things are more pricey.

Anyways, do you just plan to convert to 4wd, or to lift/wheel it too? You might be better off getting a SYE and a double cardon driveshaft for the rear now instead of sourcing a stock rear driveshaft (which will be hard to find) if you do plan to wheel it a bunch at some point.

its gonna be more of a winter truck and quad hauler. All my buddies gave up on wheelin so to build a big bush truck is a bit of a waste. I'm probably gonna do like a spacer and shackle so i can fit 30x9.5 or maby 31x10.50 my daily driver became a little winter unfriendly a few weeks ago. Its a little to low for the snowy winters but fun for rippen in the summer.

Have fun with your swap. I'm doing the exact same thing on my 91 MJ. Leaving the 2.5 and swapping in an AX5 out of an XJ with a 21spline 231. I'm going to have two driveshafts custom built from Tom Woods. High quality stuff and decent prices, bought two for my XJ.

dang dude I just had a 85 gti like yours crushed.. It needed two fuel pump,, one in tank and one under hood.. I can't see paying 180 for one and 230 for the other... the car needed alot of bodywork done to it too.. I still have the oem wheels if your interested....