Moroso Expansion Tank

So, I having cooling issues again.

I"m on my third plastic bottle and cap on my closed system and once again fluid is coming out of the cap. The system is no longer pressureized because when I remove the cap at over 200* there is no hissing or explosion of fluid.

I'm done with the plastic.

I got an aluminum one today.

I'm looking at this thread.

I didn't get a bracket with mine. I know Eagle did this. but where do you get that bracket?

I got a couple more questions but we'll start here. :D

[/url]http://www.markashurst.com/Jeeps/Moroso/

Edit: Ya I don't know why that url won't work right.

Bracket? We don't need no steenkin' bracket.

I used a short length of 1.5" x 1.5" steel utility angle, from Home Depot or Lowe's. The kind that has alternating slots and holes punched in both legs. I drilled two holes in the lip where the upper edge of the firewall is joined to the cowel panel under the hood and bolted the horizontal leg of the angle there. The vertical leg sticks up, and I found holes/slots that fit the holes in the Moroso tank with no modifications.

I'll try to grab a picture this afternoon.

Looks like that dude used the exact same overflow catch bottle I did. It came from Advance Auto, IIRC. I have mine in the same place. There are two sizes -- the small one fits where he shows it, the large one does not.

I used a short length of 1.5" x 1.5" steel utility angle, from Home Depot or Lowe's. The kind that has alternating slots and holes punched in both legs. I drilled two holes in the lip where the upper edge of the firewall is joined to the cowel panel under the hood and bolted the horizontal leg of the angle there. The vertical leg sticks up, and I found holes/slots that fit the holes in the Moroso tank with no modifications.

Looks like that dude used the exact same overflow catch bottle I did. It came from Advance Auto, IIRC. I have mine in the same place. There are two sizes -- the small one fits where he shows it, the large one does

not.

Yeah Eagle, a picture would be worth a miilion bucks. So do I definiteltly need to add the overflow catch bottle.

And off topic here but would someone tell me WTF IIRC means.

Looks like that dude used the exact same overflow catch bottle I did. It came from Advance Auto, IIRC. I have mine in the same place. There are two sizes -- the small one fits where he shows it, the large one does

not.

Yeah Eagle, a picture would be worth a miilion bucks. So do I definiteltly need to add the overflow catch bottle.

And off topic here but would someone tell me WTF IIRC means.

IRC = If I Recall Correctly or Remember

Camera batteries were dead, so the pics will have to wait for Friday. Sorry.

You don't NEED a catch bottle, but if you don't have one you'll squirt coolant all over the engine compartment, plus you'll constantly lose coolant.

The Moroso filler neck comes drilled and tapped for a barbed fitting that accepts a small (3/16" ID? I think). Use that with a radiator cap that allows coolant to flow back, and you can fill the tank to the top, have no air in the system, and have the equivalent of a '91+ "open" system -- with more capacity.

If you don't use the overflow bottle, either you just run a hose down and let any overflow spray onto the ground, or you close off the opening with a plug. In that case you can only fill the tank to about half full (like the plastic tank you're replacing), because the coolant needs space to expand.

WOW!

I never knew about that direct replacement tank. That is sweeet! (Albeit pricey.)

Got a picture of how it looks installed and plumbed?

It might be pricey, but it's not much more than I paid for my Moroso one. After buying the fittings to go in the bungs and the radiator cap I paid $120. I'm sure prices have gone up since you bought yours Eagle or maybe I just got ripped off.

I still have to buy the overflow catch bottle, two hoses, and some kind of bracket, screws, and clamps to put everything back together. I'm sure I'll get close to that price after everything is said and done.

Maybe I'll just take mine back and order that one.

Pike, how long have you been running that and any problems with it?

And X2 on the pics. :cheers:

I have been running this system for a couple of years now, and feel that I have finally solved all my problems associated with the plastic bottle and cap.

It allows you to convert your closed system to an open one. Thats why you also want to add the resevoir bottle. Make sure your resevoir bottle fills from the bottom so it acts as an expansion bottle and not an overflow catch bottle.

The tank mounts exactlly as the stock unit, and all hose connections are the same also, with an added fitting for the expansion bottle. And it uses a standard radiator cap.

Dave

It might be pricey, but it's not much more than I paid for my Moroso one. After buying the fittings to go in the bungs and the radiator cap I paid $120. I'm sure prices have gone up since you bought yours Eagle or maybe I just got ripped off.

I still have to buy the overflow catch bottle, two hoses, and some kind of bracket, screws, and clamps to put everything back together. I'm sure I'll get close to that price after everything is said and done.

Maybe I'll just take mine back and order that one.

Pike, how long have you been running that and any problems with it?

And X2 on the pics. :cheers:

Dunno. I bought my first one in the summer of 2000, at a local speed shop. IIRC I paid $115 for that one. Then I discovered that Summit Racing carried them and I bought two more, about a year later. I think I paid about $80 each for those. I haven't followed the pricing since.

For whatever it's worth, here are some pics of my installation:

Eagle any chance you can tell me how to disconnect the hoses that are held on by crimps? I take it they came like this from the factory? It seems like I need to put on a longer hose from the upper left hand side of the Moroso tank to where it connects to the system.

I also see that your overflow catch boottle takes in coolant from the top of the bottle.

Pike up there says that will cause a problem. I take it that it doesn't?

http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/parts/ ... /1763.html

I had to cut all my hoses off. You can use stock hoses with the Macs tank.

Some expansion bottles have the hose connect at the top but route the fluid down to the bottom inside the bottle.

If you don't draw from the bottom of the bottle your system won't be able to draw fluid back to the radiator when it cools down.

Dave