finding engine id code to get the right gasket set

alright guys, i had to do this last year but can't remember to save my life how to find the engine id code, turns out my buddy had an old rust 89 firebird (with a 2.8) layin around his yard and let me wank the engine that way i could get my MJ running again...or atleast untill i can do the 2.5 swap like eagle keeps telling me to do  :rotfl2: I already know i need to reuse my old oil pan, valve covers, timing chain cover, water pump.....everything but the heads. but i can't remember, (when i installed the 93 sonoma 2.8) weather or not i used a gasket kit for the 93 2.8 or my MJ's 86 2.8 nor can i remember (like stated above) how to find the engine id code. Can anyone help me out with this, what gasket set do i use, how do i find an engine id code...what else will i need to know parts and code wise before i drop the 2.8 out of the firebird in?

Redwolf

alright guys, i had to do this last year but can't remember to save my life how to find the engine id code, turns out my buddy had an old rust 89 firebird (with a 2.8) layin around his yard and let me wank the engine that way i could get my MJ running again...or atleast untill i can do the 2.5 swap like eagle keeps telling me to do :rotfl2: I

already know i need to reuse my old oil pan, valve covers, timing chain cover, water pump.....everything but the heads. but i can't

remember, (when i installed the 93 sonoma 2.8 weather or not i used a gasket kit for the 93 2.8 or my MJ's 86 2.8 nor can i remember (like stated above) how to find the engine id code. Can anyone help me out with this, what gasket set do i use, how do i find an engine id code...what else will i need to know parts and code wise before i drop the 2.8 out of the

firebird in?

Redwolf

Do you remember when and where you bought the gaskets from .If so Have the parts store check the sales history of each part number and see which one you bought . Is the firebird 2.8 the cross fire injection 2.8?

Just get the gasket kit for your Comanche. Go to Oreillys. Ask for a gasket kit for an 86 2.8 Comanche

Is it that simple? I see this thread going to at least 8 pages.............
Yep, it's that simple. Since the only difference between old and new motor is going to be age, all the gaskets for the original motor amc put in it will work for the swap. And no, I wasn't explaining that for your benefit cruiser. Just tossing it out there.

Just get the gasket kit for your Comanche. Go to Oreillys. Ask for a gasket kit for an 86 2.8 Comanche

Is it that simple? I see this thread going to at least 8 pages.............
Yep, it's that simple. Since the only difference between old and new motor is going to be age, all the gaskets for the original motor amc put in it will work for the swap. And no, I wasn't explaining that for your benefit cruiser. Just tossing it out there.

I was being facetious. I know you're correct. But, given the past of these threads, I had to throw that out there. 

not that simple, auto part store wants to know the engine id code weather it's a T or a U

The expense in the head gaskets, I would not order the 'set'.

Get a pan and timing set gasket along with VCs and intake.........cost you $30 instead of $90.

that was the plan, i had too many left over gaskets last time

alright guys, i had to do this last year but can't remember to save my life how to find the engine id code, turns out my buddy had an old rust 89 firebird (with a 2.8) layin around his yard and let me wank the engine that way i could get my MJ running again...or atleast untill i can do the 2.5 swap like eagle keeps telling me to do :rotfl2: I

already know i need to reuse my old oil pan, valve covers, timing chain cover, water pump.....everything but the heads. but i can't

remember, (when i installed the 93 sonoma 2.8 weather or not i used a gasket kit for the 93 2.8 or my MJ's 86 2.8 nor can i remember (like stated above) how to find the engine id code. Can anyone help me out with this, what gasket set do i use, how do i find an engine id code...what else will i need to know parts and code wise before i drop the 2.8 out of the

firebird in?

Redwolf

Do you remember when and where you bought the gaskets from .If so Have the parts store check the sales history of each part number and see which one you bought . Is the firebird 2.8 the cross fire injection 2.8?

yes i do remember, i just don't think autozone kept records more than a year, and i don't know what kinda fuel injection, i just know i got the motor and he scrapped the car the day later, rust eats a lot over 3 years of saving to restore a car,

Redwolf

not that simple, auto part store wants to know the engine id code weather it's a T or a U

[Redwolf

Go to a different auto parts store. Tell them you need gaskets for an 86 2.8 Comanche. Most people do not know what their engine code is. That's why they have computers behind the counter.

From the Urban Dictionary:

wank:  predominantly a British term for masturbation. i.e.

Buffing the Banana
Holding Your Sausage Hostage
Jackin' the Beanstalk
Rounding up the Tadpoles
Slap Boxing the One-Eyed Champ
Spank the Frank
Applying the hand brake
Attacking the one-eyed purple-headed warrior
Auditioning the finger puppets
Beef-stroke-it-off
Boxing the bald champ
Charming the snake