Engine SWAP ideas?

I currently have a 1988 MJ with a 4.0 that is getting a lil tired so I need a few ideas for replacement engines. What would be the best all round engine to put back in mighty manch. I am looking for some more power so should I just go with a newer 4.0 or a V-8 like a 4.7L? What would be the pros and cons of each? Would I also be able to keep my 5 speed as is or would I have to change my tranny out as well if I went with a 4.7? I would like to do a 4.7 or some other V-8 with as little headache as possible.

A ZJ 318 is damn near a bolt in. You must be good with wiring to pull it off. If you don't have a complete donor ZJ laying around don't even try it.

See the Betty build in my sig for Ideas.

Which also means a ZJ 360 is damn near bolt in :D

Only for thought.

I have a 89 XJ Wagoneer, with a 93 Camaro LT1 and 4l60. Didnt do the swap, and mounts were made, Novak is cleaner looking. This has been together for about 10 years, A/C works, fuel injection is there, everything works as if stock. Only thing not there as if new is cruise control.

Runs great, will fry the tires, squawks them going into 3rd. 3.55s. Gas mileage is about the same as the 4.0 XJ I had before, maybe a little better. On a trip will pull 20-21, around town going to work 15-16. Way too much fun.

Still 4wd. Still has dana 35, tho stories have me concerned. And it is getting noisy. Going on my third year with this rig.

Bottom line is, tho, I would be just as happy with a 4.0, it is amazing fun to punch, surprises lots of people.

And I have never run across another like it. That is worth something, and is why I bought it.

Just bought a 90 MJ, 4.0 auto, and have no plans to repower, maybe just help it out a little.

Just from these posts I think that I will more than likely choose the path of least resistance by going with a 4.0L based powerplant. Maybe I will stroke one out. What about computers? What would be the concerns there or would I just be able to to drop another 4.0 right in?

If your 88' is stock, your 5spd is a Peugeot BA 10-5.

I've had relatively good luck with them, but they aren't the strongest 5spd Jeep ever used.

If you're doing an engine swap, might try to pick up a later 5spd (AX-15, or NV3550) at the same time.

I have access to a 94 WJ engine. Will this work for me? Questions I would have would be.... Is it a direct fit, bolt in? Would I have to change out the computer? Could I still use my 5-speed? I'm thinking about using this while I rebuild the engine that is in it into a stroker. The engine runs good right now so I think that I can get some miles out of it while I take the time to do the rebuild. I guess I realized that the V-8 would be a lil too in depth for what I'm looking to do.

Does anyone know what engines would be the easiest / best to drop in, other than a RENIX?

Just curious - if the engine in it runs good right now, why not leave that motor in it, find another 4.0 in need of a rebuild, fix that motor the way you want it, then swap it in? No need to hassle with swapping in a V8, then undoing all that work when your stroker is done. You definitely won't want that Peugeot tranny behind a V8, either. The torque of the 4.0 is pushing it, especially under hard use.

AFIK , all 4.0's are the same . The 242ci engine didn't change from 87-98 , just the fuel injection in 91 went from TBI to MPI (renix>mopar) You would just use your original intake and sensors . In 99 , they went distributer-less ingnition .

93-98 Grand Cherokee =ZJ

99-2004 Grand Cherokee =WJ

05-2010 Grand cherokee =WK

2011=WK2

I assume you meant you have access to a 1994 ZJ

Damn this thread , after reading what's available from Novak , and knowing where to get a complete 95 ImpalaSS(damaged)with only 110k for $1000 , it's so freakin' tempting to make a Comanche "SS" . Powertrain would cost me $2500+ , but would probably do the 1/4 mile in 10 secs and get 25 mpg hwy 2wd :hmm: . Not quite as pratical as the $450 85K 2.5 I was planning to get for now , plus the 2 parts vehicles I bought for a later 98 conversion next winter . Guess I could sell the 2 parts jeeps :???: :hateputers:

All 4.0L engine are not the same. For example, a later production year TJ engine (I can only vouch for an '00TJ 4.0L as I have one in my shop) is not identical to, say, an XJ 4.0L of the same year. Some of the difference include, but are not limited to: engine mount locations, water pump, oil filter/oil pressure sender configuration, and alternator mounting holes.

Also, the engine out of a '95 Impala SS isn't going to power an MJ to a 10 second quarter mile without some serious modifications at which point there goes your fuel economy :D

Well , I said between 87-98 , I realize I wasn't perfectly clear . I also said 99 and up went distributer less , which is a whole differnent can of worms . If you could distinguish between those yrs(87-98) , that would be informative , and appreciated because I also said AFIK . I'm no 4.0 guru .

A LT1 conversion would be a major mod , lol . I know 10sec's was overkill , but again , I said probably . It's certainly doable with some mods , but even just dropping it in would make it one quick little jeep . "Probably" take your 5.9 :rotf: , I know it would take mine :D , if I could keep it planted

There are some subtle differences in the ZJ 4.0L's that cause them not to be a direct plug-and-play drop in for an XJ or MJ. I don't know the specifics as I've never had a ZJ 4.0L in my possession, but I've read multiple threads where people complain and moan that the ZJ 4.0L they picked up required additional work to get their XJ accessories to bolt up. It's relatively minor stuff, I believe, but some people don't have the means to make the modifications needed to make it work.

An LT1 will probably take my 5.9L MJ, but it's gonna take some work to have it keep up with my supercharged 5.9L ZJ :D

^^ :rotf:

Thanks Terrawombat , I'll sniff around JU and see what I can find out from the ZJ guys . I have a 98XJ with a piston skirt clunk and I was figuring I"d take the engine from the 91 to add to the 98 conversion . It's all gonna end up in my 88 MJ next winter but knowing it's compatability issues up front would be nice :) . I have both vehicles complete and running

To work out some bugs , and get motivated , I just got home with a 2.5 so I can get it up and running .

the gear thing it always a very good idea as Pete stated :cheers: there are options for the 4.0l block and some of us have stroked the engine. :brows: if you are looking to get more HP/TQ you may want to consider :idea: this route. do the research and way your options. jamminz.gif

If you're going 4.6L, you might as well go that extra inch and hit 4.7L. When I was looking at stroking my old Cherokee, the parts were all pretty much the same price and the machining was the same price. You get an extra 20hp or so from what I read up with basically no price difference.