I just bought a 89 Comanche and I am wondering what height of lift is on it?

What is stock from hub to top of the fender?

I have heard that stock MJs can handle 31s? This is the size tire I have. But I don't think Jeep ever put red coils on the front or red shock boots. ;)

I also checked this thread... http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9777

In reguards to a SYE and it would seem I could play around upto 5" without an SYE? Any more comments on this issue?

Off the top of anyone's head, what tire size can be run stock? w/ 2" lift? w/ 3" lift? with 4.5"

Keep in mind I am looking for marginally better offroad performance without sacrificing too much full economy or highway handling.

Thanks folks

30's and 31's will fit stock, but they might rub on the LCA's at full lock.

A 2" BB will clear 31's nicely and look good. With heavy trimming and proper bumpstopping you can clear 32/33's.

3" you can clear 32's with no trimming.. with minor trimming 33's

4.5" anything smaller then 33's look small. As for what will fit.. that depends on how much you like your sheetmetal.

The whole SYE debate. You don't need it up to 3" but after that you lose spline engagement on you yoke, so you either have to lengthen your driveshaft, or put a SYE in and lengthen your shaft. Also with the SYE you have the ability to pull your rear shaft and drive home in front wheel drive if needed

30's and 31's will fit stock, but they might rub on the LCA's at full lock.

A 2" BB will clear 31's nicely and look good. With heavy trimming and proper bumpstopping you can clear 32/33's.

You forgot to mention that a lift -- 2", 3", 4" or whatever, doesn't do anything to eliminate the front tires rubbing on the lower control arms. The only thing that addresses that is wheels with less backspacing (which brings other problems), or WJ Grand Cherokee LCAs with the bend in them.

Thanks all... I guess I have some thinking to do as far as lift height goes.

I would guess my lift is a 2" based on all your input. Thing is I would figure most two inch lifts to be spacers/shackles. My MJ has no spacers in front and no SOA in the back (I'm guessing a longer shackle).

I guess if I go over 3" I will do a SYE and longer shaft, BUT...

My old XJ had a Rusty's 3" and once it was all straightened out (don't ask) it maintained great street driving characteristics, but my buddies TJ with a 4.5" did not... One reason I left my Rubicon stock.

I guess the real question is, at what point does a lift start screwing with daily-drivability?

Your last question is kinda a loaded one. If you regear properly and install a SYE and maintain the correct steering geometry. The answer is it doesn't. I drove Pong around on 33's then 35's for about a yr :eek: It wasnt until I started really bashing on it that I stopped driving it on the road.

For the Shackle measurement 53/4" IIRC sounds stock

In our opinion a SYE isn't needed until you get to at LEAST 5+" on the MJ's. If you want to run one than by all means do so as they are a great upgrade. With the longer wheelbase and the longer rear driveshaft a MJ in the fact of SYE's are not needed as soon (lift height) as the XJ's are. We don't recommend one on our 4.5" lift, but do with our 6.5" lift. That being said our own MJ with 6.5" lift thats a trail beast does not have a SYE on it yet. We've yet to drop the shaft on the trail. Like I said prior, if you want to run one by all means do; but they really are not needed until 5+". This however is all dependable on what tranny/motor/tc combo you have and if your MJ is 2wd or 4wd as there were several length driveshafts made from the factory for the MJ's.

A lift thats properly designed and addresses everything needed for a certain lift height (for instance a 6.5" lift that also includes a new steering setup) will keep the drivability issue at hand. We have customers who run our 6.5" longarm kit with 35's and drive their MJ's daily.

As far as tire size vs. lift goes this is what we recommend without trimming on our lifts.

2" Budget Boost - Upto 31" Tire

3" Lift - Upto 31-32" Tire

4.5" LIft - Upto 33" Tire

6.5" Lift - Upto 35" Tire

Now these can be altered by trimming the fenders.

I guess the real question is, at what point does a lift start screwing with daily-drivability?

Personally, I think any lift messes with street driveability. However, it's pretty certain that anything more than a 2" budget boost starts causing alignment and other issues.

Which yoke is it that you can put on the MJ driveshaft for a few more inches? is it the TJ or YJ?

I believe the YJ yoke is 1/4" or maybe 1/2" longer than an XJ/MJ yoke. Don't remember for sure, but I know it's not "inches". :D

Which yoke is it that you can put on the MJ driveshaft for a few more inches? is it the TJ or YJ?

I believe the YJ yoke is 1/4" or maybe 1/2" longer than an XJ/MJ yoke. Don't remember for sure, but I know it's not "inches". :D

L To R Stock yokes; 94 XJ 4wd, 93 XJ 2wd, 94 YJ 4wd. All fit AX-15 trans.