What to do?

88JeepManche

Back on 6/9/2007 i recieved a parking ticket in east lansing michigan. Today i get a post card reminding me of my citation. They say i have to do one of three things within 14 days.

1. Admit Responsibility- Pay the fine in person or by mail.

2. Admit responsibility with explanation-submit a written explanation that you are responsibe for the violation but that there are circumstances surrounding the incident which you think should affect the judgement of the court

3. Deny Responsibility- Submit a written explanation denying that you are responsible for the violation and requesting a hearing. You will have a hearing before a judge.

The current fine is $35. I plan to do number 2 and here is why.

I arrived in michigan late that night and the office where the person i was seeing was supposed to get the parking pass was closed. I parked in the mostly empty lot with full intention to get a parking pass first thing the next morning. Upon arrival to my car that next morning i had already been ticketed. Note that between the time of parking and the time of my return to the car was only about 8 hours. I left the ticket in my car for the remainder of the weekend. As you can see I was ticketed with no chance to provide a pass to park in the lot. The lot was very empty at the time and i was not intruding upon somebody else's parking place.

I would do exactly what you plan to do, then if they still want you to pay, I would just not pay it unless: 1. your state works with michigan which will cause your license to be suspended for nonpayment 2. you drive in michigan often

I have a ticket from virginia from 1998 that i refuse to pay because i feel i was not guilty. BUt the state trooper saw out of state plates and figured i would pay it since i would have to go to court to fight it. But rhode island does not work with virginia so it never affected my license.

You could also contact the company or person that was supposed to give you the pass and most times they can take care of it for you. But usually this has to be done in a timely manner. I used to work for a cleaning company and we would have to park on the street downtown. I must have gotten 3 or 4 parking tickets and never had to pay one. It might be worth a shot. Then again $35 isn't too bad to pay to be done with it.

I got a ticket recently for not wearing my seatbelt. I refuse to pay it. The clutch was going out in the jeep as well as running very rough. It had died when i was rolling to a stop sign, so i took my seat belt off to get out and push the mj to the curb, well a cop gave me a no seatbelt ticket anyways. He was ticket happy and didnt even offer to help push it to the curb to get it out of the way. pissed me off

I would take option 2, but include the check for $35 to get it over with. Parking tickets are not a driving offense. You will not lose points on your license, and your insurance will not be affected. Any other course of action will cost you more, both in time and in gas.