clutch slipping?

ok, onto the next problem. As some of you may recall, i had a new clutch swapped into the mj when i had the tranny rebuilt about 2 months ago. you also may recall that an ax-5 kit was put into it and i have an ax-15 tranny.This was done by the tranny shop, not me, and at the time i expressed my concerns to the shop and they told me that it was running fine and that they knew it was a ax-5 (basically i don't know what I'm talking about according to them :roll:) and the right clutch kit was swapped in. :roll:

My problem that just started yesterday is that when i park it on a steep (or not too steep) slope the tranny will slip and it will bump down the hill. is this the clutch slipping or is there any other way that the truck can slip down the hill?

As always, thanks in advance for your help

James

no stock clutch sucks. It's slipping, it can't hold all the weight by itself. This is where the Center fource clutchs come into play. Or as a factory fix, emergency brake. Mine does the same thing, just no park on hill , but if have to cheap tire blocks at wal-mart.

no stock clutch sucks. It's slipping, it can't hold all the weight by itself. This is where the Center fource clutchs come into play. Or as a factory fix, emergency brake. Mine does the same thing, just no park on hill , but if have to cheap tire blocks at wal-mart.

Yeah, but the strange thing is that it didnt do it for quite some time after the new clutch install. once i even parked it on what must have been a 60 degree slope and it didnt slip up on the trail. so just for clarification, should the slipping get worse after the new clutch is worn in a bit?

Oh, BTW, i thought e- brake as well but i need to get new rear cables i just redid the front cable and am hoping that the rears are easier. :popcorn:

Yea......if your truck is not holding on a hill, there's a good chance the clutch is slipping. If this is a very steep hill, then it's hard to tell.

The old way to 'test' a clutch, is to get the truck going 15-20 mph (2nd gear) and skip 3rd, right into 4th, and let the clutch out, if the engine "bogs" down, the clutch is good, if it don't, the clutch is slipping.

Mimi beast brings up a good point, and I'm sure the owner manual says the same thing......any time parking, the emergency (Parking) brake should be applied.

Maybe you should take it back to the transmission shop, let them check it out and tell them you do know what your talking about ;)

Oh......and I like this.... "ok, onto the next problem." :D

ok, onto the next problem. As some of you may recall, i had a new clutch swapped into the mj when i had the tranny rebuilt about 2 months ago. you also may recall that an ax-5 kit was put into it and i have an ax-15 tranny.This was done by the tranny shop, not me, and at the time i expressed my concerns to the shop and they told me that it was running fine and that they knew it was a ax-5 (basically i don't know what I'm talking about according to them :roll:) and the right clutch kit was swapped in.

It is physically impossible to put an AX-5 clutch kit into a 4.0L with an AX-15. First, the clutch itself is a larger diameter, so an AX-5 pressure plate assembly will not bolt onto a 4.0L flywheel. Second, the AX-5 has a 1" input shaft and the AX-15 has a 1.125" input shaft, so the AX-5 disc cannot be put onto an AX-15 tranny even if you somehow tried to mate the smaller disc to the correct pressure plate.

If your rear main seal or valve cover gasket is leaking, you may have oil getting into the clutch and causing it to slip. Do you feel it slipping when you drive?

How's the compression on your engine? Most likely the weight of the vehicle is too much for the compression to hold. There's a reason why they put parking brakes in vehicles. I don't think your clutch is slipping, I think your engine is turning over.

A Center Force clutch would not be a solution to this problem -- if the clutch is the problem at all. The whole point of a Center Force is that it uses weaker springs for lower peddle effort, and then centrifugal weights add clamping force at high RPMs to help the clutch hold. A Center Force would be worse than a stock clutch when parked, not better.

if you're having trouble and you HAVE to park on a hill here's what you do in case of no parkin chocks

pull up close to the curb and then cut the wheel so that the tires are turning into the curb all the way in the direction the truck will roll, then let it settle onto the curb and still park it in gear with the slightly effective Ebrake on.

that way your truck has to run over a curb (not gonna happen) in order to roll down the hill, and if it DOES roll over the curb it'll end up sideways in the road and hit something else before it goes barreling down the hill and actually NAILS something.

ok, onto the next problem. As some of you may recall, i had a new clutch swapped into the mj when i had the tranny rebuilt about 2 months ago. you also may recall that an ax-5 kit was put into it and i have an ax-15 tranny.This was done by the tranny shop, not me, and at the time i expressed my concerns to the shop and they told me that it was running fine and that they knew it was a ax-5 (basically i don't know what I'm talking about according to them :roll:) and the right clutch kit was swapped in.

It is physically impossible to put an AX-5 clutch kit into a 4.0L with an AX-15. First, the clutch itself is a larger diameter, so an AX-5 pressure plate assembly will not bolt onto a 4.0L flywheel. Second, the AX-5 has a 1" input shaft and the AX-15 has a 1.125" input shaft, so the AX-5 disc cannot be put onto an AX-15 tranny even if you somehow tried to mate the smaller disc to the correct pressure plate.

If your rear main seal or valve cover gasket is leaking, you may have oil getting into the clutch and causing it to slip. Do you feel it slipping when you drive?

How's the compression on your engine? Most likely the weight of the vehicle is too much for the compression to hold. There's a reason why they put parking brakes in vehicles. I don't think your clutch is slipping, I think your engine is turning over.

ok, you are right, this is just what the tranny shop told me. compression on my engine as of last weeks test is fine. Tranny was rebuilt when clutch was replaced so no leaks there. what you are saying makes sense, its just strange to me that it held just fine on the steepest of steep hills b4 now, and now its not holding.

if you're having trouble and you HAVE to park on a hill here's what you do in case of no parkin chocks

pull up close to the curb and then cut the wheel so that the tires are turning into the curb all the way in the direction the truck will roll, then let it settle onto the curb and still park it in gear with the slightly effective Ebrake on.

that way your truck has to run over a curb (not gonna happen) in order to roll down the hill, and if it DOES roll over the curb it'll end up sideways in the road and hit something else before it goes barreling down the hill and actually NAILS something.

I would do this if there were curbs in the mountains (conifer) and on jeep trails.

There is no adjustment on the clutch, and I think we have established that the clutch isn't slipping. I still think your engine is turning over because the compression isn't enough to hold the weight.

I repeat: There is a REASON they build cars with parking brakes.

ok, onto the next problem. As some of you may recall, i had a new clutch swapped into the mj when i had the tranny rebuilt about 2 months ago. you also may recall that an ax-5 kit was put into it and i have an ax-15 tranny.This was done by the tranny shop, not me, and at the time i expressed my concerns to the shop and they told me that it was running fine and that they knew it was a ax-5 (basically i don't know what I'm talking about according to them :roll:) and the right clutch kit was swapped in. :roll:

My problem that just started yesterday is that when i park it on a steep (or not too steep) slope the tranny will slip and it will bump down the hill. is this the clutch slipping or is there any other way that the truck can slip down the hill?

As always, thanks in advance for your help

James

My F100 had that problem. Clutch is fine, a manual gear case connected to an engine will act as a brake, but does not make it impossible for the truck to roll. A steep enough hill, or a high enough gear will happily let gravity turn your engine over for you, through the gear case.

At the local drive in (movie theatre, not restaurant) parking on the first row I had to toss a 4x4 behind the wheels so I wouldn't roll back. Because of compression in some of the cylinders, it is kind of a jerky roll, not smooth. Once I fixed the parking brake, I threw the 4x4 in the dumpster.

And yes, it's called a *parking* brake, not an emergency brake. It is meant for parking, and on a stick shift an absolute necessity when parking on a hill.

Even parking nose down with the transmission in reverse will not always prevent rolling. It will turn the engine over backwards, which could cause the timing chain to jump, or even camshaft or lifter damage. Same with parking nose up in 1st. Uncommon, but not impossible.

There is no adjustment on the clutch, and I think we have established that the clutch isn't slipping. I still think your engine is turning over because the compression isn't enough to hold the weight.

I repeat: There is a REASON they build cars with parking brakes.

Yes Eagle I definitely agree 100% there, my sister lost the first xj to the "parking brakes are useless when you have park bug" but, parking brakes are usefull even with park she learned after it rolled across the road and hit a tree (rip, 92 xj laredo)

ok, but i think i definitely have a compression problem, it did it in a parking lot today that has very little slope. I'm a little scared this could be a big problem, taking it to get a compression test soon.

OR is there an at home compression test i could do with basic tools and skills?

IT IS HOLDING IN 4LO. its possible that its just me, and that on a trail it is only holding b/c it is in 4 lo. only a compression test will tell. do you guys know pressure i should be getting (compression wise).

thanks