Buick Steering Wheel

Stuck a Buick Turbo Regal steering wheel on my rig awhile back, but the Buick emblem always bugged me. I tried various stick-ons, coverups, etc. but everything looked like crap. Finally had a friend turn a aluminum billet center button, and then drilled and tapped in some 1/4" x 20 cap screws.

Before:

After 1:

After 2:

Now I want to paint in the recessed JeeP logo and circle in black - what's the best way to do this?

Now I want to paint in the recessed JeeP logo and circle in black - what's the best way to do this?

In the past when I did something similar I used a syringe and needle. Sucked up the paint with the needle and than filled the recessed area with paint. If you put the part on a flat surface you can control how "deep" you want the paint to be; thus how much you want it colored.

Just an idea...

In the past when I did something similar I used a syringe and needle. Sucked up the paint with the needle and than filled the recessed area with paint. If you put the part on a flat surface you can control how "deep" you want the paint to be; thus how much you want it colored. Just an idea...

That's a good idea. ;) But how well will the paint stick to the aluminum?

Paint will stick fine to aluminum. Just be sure to blast it with brake cleaner before painting to be sure it's completely degreased.

Been meaning to ask you -- what's the steering column out of? That's a great way to solve the problem of how to handle the PRNDL when swapping out an idiot light cluster for an XJ cluster with full instrumentation.

Paint will stick fine to aluminum. Just be sure to blast it with brake cleaner before painting to be sure it's completely degreased.

Been meaning to ask you -- what's the steering column out of? That's a great way to solve the problem of how to handle the PRNDL when swapping out an idiot light cluster for an XJ cluster with full instrumentation.

It's the original column. The shift indicator is an aftermarket unit made by Ididit for the Chevy 3-speed Turbo Hydra-Matic TH200/700R4 trannys, but it lines up perfectly w. the AW4's shift positions .

l_506158.jpg

Some come stock. I found one of those PRND31 things on an MJ in a junk yard.

[some come stock. I found one of those PRND31 things on an MJ in a junk yard.

Correct. But the shift indicator is an integral part of the steering column; you'd have to change out whole column.

Don, you could fill the jeep and circle with grease then spray the whole thing black,, then after cured wipe the grease and paint out of it.. that would leave the jeep bright and outside black, or vise/verse, but honestly, if it was me I'd just use a small paint brush and do it with that.. a lil thinner to wipe any smears.

Don, you could fill the jeep and circle with grease then spray the whole thing black,, then after cured wipe the grease and paint out of it.. that would leave the jeep bright and outside black, or vise/verse, but honestly, if it was me I'd just use a small paint brush and do it with that.. a lil thinner to wipe any smears.

I think I'm going to try the syringe method on a flat surface, after practicing with colored water or something. I suck at doing anything with an artist's brush. :oops:

You could just send it to me along with the steering wheel and I'll paint it for you. :brows:

It would probably get lost in the mail on the return trip though. wink wink

I think the syringe idea is the best. Next time I come across something I have to do like that, I'm going to try it. Thanks LEAD for the tip.

:cheers:

You could just send it to me along with the steering wheel and I'll paint it for you. :brows:

It would probably get lost in the mail on the return trip though. wink wink

I think the syringe idea is the best. Next time I come across something I have to do like that, I'm going to try it. Thanks LEAD for the tip.

Thanks very much for the offer, however, regretfully, I must decline. :roll: Off to the druggies tomorrow to scrounge up a syringe.......... :eek:

[some come stock. I found one of those PRND31 things on an MJ in a junk yard.

Correct. But the shift indicator is an integral part of the steering column; you'd have to change out whole column.

Are you sure? Unless I pulled an aftermarket modification out from the MJ at the junkyard...all it took was a small ratchet and a few minutes. To install it, I just used some self tapping sheet metal screws.

You can see it here.

Some come stock. I found one of those PRND31 things on an MJ in a junk yard.

Are you sure? Unless I pulled an aftermarket modification out from the MJ at the junkyard...all it took was a small ratchet and a few minutes. To install it, I just used some self tapping sheet metal screws.

You can see it here.

I've seen two on MJs; the window on both was built into the steering column shroud, just like the old column shift Chebby PowerGlide columns. 'Course that does not mean there can not be variations like there is in anything else. :eek: Can you post some pics showing how yours mounts on the column shroud? And what is the pointer attached to?

EDIT: I just checked my 81-86 parts manual, and you are exactly right Twisty. But it looks like this is only for the 1986 column shift MJs. Nice thing about these is that they have an indicator light; mine does not. It's hard to tell in the parts manual how the this light and the pointer is mounted though. Next time I'm in the yard I'm going to have to check this out.

I got pics of mine. I don't know what year it came out of...I didnt check.

This is what made me believe it was stock...see how it forms around the ignition?

And how the pointer mounts.

I also never bothered getting a light for the selector. I just remember that 1 click is R and 3 clicks is D (just like all automatics).

Thanks for the pics Twisty. Do you remember how the indicator light mounted? Probably inside the shift indicator I would think. Then there is the problem on how to run the wire. Think I'll slide up to the yard tomorrow and see if there's one there.

There was a small bulb behind the shift indicator. I seem to recall there being a hole drilled dirrectly underneath it, and the wires were snaked up into the indicator. There were no wires running down the column (that would look ugly).

There was a small bulb behind the shift indicator. I seem to recall there being a hole drilled dirrectly underneath it, and the wires were snaked up into the indicator. There were no wires running down the column (that would look ugly).

Sure would. And there's absolutely no illumination circuit in the steering column to tap into, so you'd have to snake a wire down through the column. Heck with it.........

The wheel in this thread came from a late 80s Buick Turbo Regal, but most any pre-airbag GM steering wheel will bolt on since our MJs use GM Saginaw columns. I had one from an Olds Toronado for awhile, and a Z28 "rope" steering wheel below.

Image Not Found