Jump to content

The "Might Joe" build... -Full Console 1/25/09-


Recommended Posts

OK...I can't believe that I have been around here this long and have not started a build thread so here it goes...

 

The starting point...

 

-1988 MJ

-Short Bed

-4x4

-4.0L

-5 spd

 

 

 

 

First thing I did was rip out the bench seat and put in some buckets and new seat belts. I did put gray covers on them until I can get them recovered or find some gray seats.

 

 

 

The next thing was to get some light inside. I have a complete install thread the you can see if you Click Here

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then came a little exterior fixing up with some mirrors and a chrome grill...

 

 

 

Then came the 3.5" RE super ride kit to which I added the 3" leaf springs from Hell Creek Suspensions along with a new set of wheels & tires.

 

 

 

Then a bit of misfortune struck when my wife was driving it and got hit on the left side by a 15 year old out with Mom on his learner permit.

 

 

...but that was soon fixed and a new set of Swamper TrXus M/T Radials added.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Next was time to address the rough running issue that had developed. A little research led me to Precision Aujto Injectors for a set of remanufactured Frd Motorsprt injectors and WOW...what a difference. MPG increased by over 14% and it runs great.

 

 

 

 

Then it was time to address the cooling issues with a new 3 row radiator, new t-stat housing, new electric fan control and gettng rid of the pressure coolant bottle.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm gonna buy those lights.....I was originally gonna get those but wasnt sure how they would look, I ended up with those little one withe flip switches that fit through the back, but they don't look right.....do those screw into place?
Yea...they are pretty simple to do. Check out my install thread for details... http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/view ... ior+lights

 

I have a lot more to add to this thread still.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While doing the cooling system I noticed the battery wiring harness was in VERY poor condition, so that had to be the next step...

 

 

 

 

A new spare tire carrier was neede as the one under the bed has been gone for a long time.

 

 

 

The tire carrier had to be removed temporarily to install the Line-X.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is the basics that pretty much bring me up to today. I spent over 6 hours today sanding, priming, painting and installing a new front bumper and painting the rear bumper to match.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Roll/light bar install to come on another weekend. This bumper job kicked my @$$ this weekend. That is not a job for one person.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

OK...back to work. I have been away for a short time as I had some health problems and spent a little time in the hospital Cardiac Observation Unit, but I am back and working on it again.

 

Getting the roll bar painted today so I can finally get it installed soon.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought one of those $35 valve cover gaskets the other day, so it was project day today. I thought it would be a simple 1 - 1.5 hour job (and it should be), but it turned in to a 3.5 hour aggrivation. I could not get the bolt on the left rear of the cover to line up when putting it back together. After 1.3 hours of trying to get that one bolt back in, I took a break and had lunch. When I went back out, I took a good look ast everything and discovered that the added height of the new gasket was causing the front edge of the valve cover to hit the upper radiator hose and the cover would not move far enough forward to allow the rear bolt to line up. I loosened the the hose, slid it up just a little bit and wah-lah...the cover moved forward about 1/16" and the bolt screwed right in.

 

This is what I found when I removed the cover. Nice & clean inside.

 

 

Inside the cover.

 

 

Cleaned up.

 

 

Gasket test fit.

 

 

DONE...

 

 

 

Time for some

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

you got lucky with the top end of your engine, mine had so much build up it was disgusting. I'm about ready to do my valve cover again though and bought one of those high end gaskets as well. Thanks for the tip with the coolant hose.

 

Out of curiosity, what did you use to clean the inside of the cover?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Out of curiosity, what did you use to clean the inside of the cover?

I brought home 8 cans of Brake Clean from work and used that to clean everything ;) . I took the breather towers out and buffed them with a scotch brite pad on my angle grider...you know...the round disc type.

 

The bottom end of this engine is just as clean. I was amazed when we took the oil pan off to do the rear main & clutch. I was told that the previous owner was very anal about maintaining it and had all services done at the dealership.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...