Trailering MJ, tow dolly

When trailering an 87 4x4 MJ using a tow dolly, with the rear wheels on the ground. It is sufficient to put the transfer case in neutral, or does the rear drive shaft have to be removed?

Can the drive shaft even be removed without losing fluid out of the transfer case?

I'm talking long distance here, like close to 400 miles, twice in a long weekend.

I could use a full trailer if I have to, but that sucker will add more than 2000 pounds of weight... Don't really want to unless I have no choice.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but the towing instructions are based on the assumption that the front wheels will be off the ground (for a tow truck) or all four wheels will be on the ground (like for flat towing behind an RV). With the transfer case in neutral, aren't the front and rear axles locked, and just not connected to the transmission? I don;t think you *CAN* tow on a dolly with the transfer case in neutral. I don't think they fixed that on the XJ until 1994 or 1995.

Better check before you rent the dolly.

I would pull the rear driveshaft and cap the tail of the transfer case with a cut of soda bottle and hose clamp.

I've flat towed as well as tow-dolly'd several XJ's and MJ's without issues. Just do it correct and you won't have issues. I have the directions from the FSM I'll post here in a min.

Wife's 1st Totaled XJ

(ok not on the dolly but you can see it)

100_1141.jpg

Wife's replacement XJ

(her 2nd one)

100_1137.jpg

Wife's XJ (her 3rd one) Flat Towing my MJ

100_1425.jpg

OK here is directly from the manual; I'll recap for ya after...

tow.jpg

tow2.jpg

tow3.jpg

So to recap. This is for BOTH flat towing and using a tow dolly.

Tranny in (P) for an Auto or (1st) for a Manual

Transfer Case in (N)

Steering Column unlocked

As far as removing the DS I would ONLY do it if your flat towing and have the front wheels off the ground OR if you have a NP231 and your front axle has the disconnect as the front DS won't spin than. If you have a NP242 or a new Jeep that does not have the vac. disco front axle you'll need to leave the rear driveshaft or fluid will come out. I guess also if you have a SYE it'll be ok to remove the rear driveshaft as well.

I must have slept through something. Where is neutral on Command Trac? If it's 2wd drive mode, then why won't the engine rotate when the rear axle is driving the driveshaft?

I'm not 100% sure what your asking.

The NP231 (Command Trac) is 2H - 4H - N - 4L

The NP242 (Select Trac) is 2wd - 4part-time - 4full-time - N - 4LO

If you put your TC in (N) than it is freely spinning even if your axle is turning thus turning your driveshaft. The TC will freely spin in (N) (aka not engaged to the tranny).

I have a 86 Command Trac (not with me today to check). The selector is 2wd, 4 Hi, 4 Lo. Did neutral come out later?

You have the NP207 than. I don't know much about that TC; sorry.

If you don't have (N) on the TC I would assume your going to have to pull both front and rear driveshafts if you flat tow, or the rear if you use a tow dolly.

i tried towing my 88 with the tc in neutral on a dolly and it wouldnt work. neutral locked both outputs together and the rear wheels would not turn. the 207 tc is the same as the 231 in almost every way. it does have a neutral.

i tried towing my 88 with the tc in neutral on a dolly and it wouldnt work. neutral locked both outputs together and the rear wheels would not turn. the 207 tc is the same as the 231 in almost every way. it does have a neutral.

That's pretty much what I remember ...

If you read those owner's manual entries carefully, none of the conditions described covers front wheels on a dolly and rear wheels on the road. When the owner's manual talks about towing 4-wheel drive vehicles on dollies, they are referring to front wheels on the hook and off the ground, and REAR wheels on dollies so the front wheels aren't spinning while you're towing.

That's pretty much what I remember ...

If you read those owner's manual entries carefully, none of the conditions described covers front wheels on a dolly and rear wheels on the road. When the owner's manual talks about towing 4-wheel drive vehicles on dollies, they are referring to front wheels on the hook and off the ground, and REAR wheels on dollies so the front wheels aren't spinning while you're towing.

Read the 2nd paragraph in the very 1st pic. It states it in black and white (pun intended). ;)

Read the 2nd paragraph in the very 1st pic. It states it in black and white (pun intended). ;)

Yeah?

"Drive vehicle 10 ft. (3m) rearward and then 10 ft. (3m) forward to make certain the axle is disengaged."

The underlined entry immediately above that section of the manual says it applies to recreational towing. That means towing behind an RV with all four wheels on the road and turning. The question in this thread doesn't involve recreational towing. What's your point?

With the NP231 if you are towing for a short distance using the transfercase in neutral and transmission in gear or in park is what the owners manual says if I remember correctly. But as to not being able to use a tow dolly - not true, IF you put the transfercase in 2wd and put it on the dolly then shut it off before you put the transfercase in neutral. This keeps the axle disconnected.

Well I'm feeling dumb. I forgot that there was a neutral. I hope I'm going home to the right house.

I never thought of using it, so forgot about it (neutral not the house). To think all those miles I've coasted around parking lots looking for a spot, I could have reduced some drag. I've coasted with the engine off over 15 miles, 1/4 mile at a time. I take it the TC doesn't like to be driven by the DS.

If you follow the manual, why bother with the 10 ft back and forth. Just put it in neutral after it's been driven in 2wd and the engine is off. Of course all of this only applies to front axle disconnects.

From what I'm hearing either trailer or dolly with rear DS pulled and the tailshaft caped off.

Yeah?

"Drive vehicle 10 ft. (3m) rearward and then 10 ft. (3m) forward to make certain the axle is disengaged."

The underlined entry immediately above that section of the manual says it applies to recreational towing. That means towing behind an RV with all four wheels on the road and turning. The question in this thread doesn't involve recreational towing. What's your point?

Here...

tow.jpg

It may be necessary to tow a 4WD vehicle with the front raised (hmm.. tow dolly) and rear wheels ON THE GROUND. Insure that the transfer case in in Neutral (N) and the transmission is either in Park (auto) or in gear (manual)

I don't think it can get any more clear than that... :roll:

Please guys, can we get a consensus. I'm trying to figure out my total bill to make it to the badlands and back in July. And I need to know if I should rent a trailer or if I can get away with a dolly.

I've tried to provide info but everyone seems to be a nay-sayer to what the manuals show (even though I posted the photo's of the manuals for proof). I guess photo's proving it isn't even enough! :roll:

Man, what part of "Four-wheel-drive vehicles should be towed on a flatbed or with the wheels supported by a dolly." do you not understand? You're the one who's quoting it, but you're trying to make it say something other than what it says. It means ALL FOUR WHEELS OFF THE PAVEMENT. Why do you think tow trucks carry around those little dolly things they stick under the trear wheels when they pick up a 4WD vehicle? The section of the book you're referencing is NOT talking about the dollies you rent from U-Haul.

Man, what part of "Four-wheel-drive vehicles should be towed on a flatbed or with the wheels supported by a dolly." do you not understand? You're the one who's quoting it, but you're trying to make it say something other than what it says. It means ALL FOUR WHEELS OFF THE PAVEMENT. Why do you think tow trucks carry around those little dolly things they stick under the trear wheels when they pick up a 4WD vehicle? The section of the book you're referencing is NOT talking about the dollies you rent from U-Haul.

I dissagree...

It says on the GROUND; not on a "dolly". Why else would is say "It may be necessary...."?

I think if they state in the manual in the paragraph prior "on a dolly" than the word GROUND wouldn't of been used if they didn't mean on the GROUND. If they meant on a dolly it would of said on a dolly. Why would you put the TC in (N) if it's on a dolly? :roll: It makes absolutely no sense for them to tell you to put the TC in (N) if your rear tires of off the GROUND on a dolly and are not turning....

I'm simply stating it by what it says (GROUND); your the one who's making it say something it does not.

To each their own in how you interpretate it than... but as stated prior it's been done by several people without issues.