check engine light fix?

ok iv been thinking of a way to get around the emissions stuf in califorina and even though geting rid of the curent carb and swaping in the weber setup would net better performance and probably still pass the sniffer they won't go for it. So what i want is a way to retain the MIL by means of some sort of timer that will turn it on with ignition and off 5 seconds after the engine is runing. 86 3.4 v6

ya ya ya i know its ilegal but i don't care

MIL?

Check engine light ... on an '86? The 49-state models didn't have any check engine light in '86 ... or in '87, '88, '89 or '90. You have a check engine light?

uh ya ,i got the computer controled carb , the califorina model

MIL?

Check engine light ... on an '86? The 49-state models didn't have any check engine light in '86 ... or in '87, '88, '89 or '90. You have a check engine light?

I believe the 49-state '86 I had also had a computer-controlled carb, but I don't remember any check engine light.

What the heck does "MIL" stand for?

MIL?

I believe the 49-state '86 I had also had a computer-controlled carb, but I don't remember any check engine light.

What the heck does "MIL" stand for?

.001??

Military?

One letter short of a hot momma..

Malfunction illuminated light??

May I laugh??

EDIT: O crap I almost forgot one,,, Mother In Law??? I know a light goes off when I see mine....

put a tee in your oil pressure port so you can hook up 2 sensors.the extra sensor should be a single terminal oil switch that is grounded with 0 oil pressure (will provide a negative signal to the cel bulb) and open when engine builds oil pressure after it starts which will turn off cel.find the wire from the computer that controls the cel,cut it and splice in your new wire from the sensor to the bulb.tape up now unused computer wire.done.

put a tee in your oil pressure port so you can hook up 2 sensors.the extra sensor should be a single terminal oil switch that is grounded with 0 oil pressure (will provide a negative signal to the cel bulb) and open when engine builds oil pressure after it starts which will turn off cel.find the wire from the computer that controls the cel,cut it and splice in your new wire from the sensor to the bulb.tape up now unused computer wire.done.

Now THAT is a brilliant solution. :clapping: :cheers:

And the standard Jeep sender for any base model with idiot lights will do exactly that.

And the standard Jeep sender for any base model with idiot lights will do exactly that.

Yes that is a good idea but the check engine light stays on 3-5 seconds after the engine is running and u should be building oil pressure during cranking which would turn the light off prematurely

Yes that is a good idea but the check engine light stays on 3-5 seconds after the engine is running and u should be building oil pressure during cranking which would turn the light off prematurely

My oil light stays on for about 2~ seconds after start.... so it may or may not

how about this solution,

take the old chk engine light out, and put a remote triggered led in that space.

Watch the guy doing the test, when he turns the key hit the light on, hold it on for a few seconds after start. :nanner: