New noise....

so sometimes when I'm at idle and all the time when i hit the gas up until about 10 mph i get this kind of...i don't really want to say grinding but thats the closest description i can give. its a grinding sound. would this be a u-joint?

Erik :beerhead:

Does it sound like it's coming from the front of the engine??

If so, check your harmonic balancer, inspect it, and if the rubber is out pass the pulley....... :cry:

A U-joint wouldn't make any noise if your at idle....standing still.

I'm pretty sure its coming from the rear. i should have also mentioned that when the truck is in park, it doesnt make any noise. when its in gear and stopped, then its not a steady noise but pretty constant. when i move forward on a flat surface the noise cuts out around 5mph and on an incline it stops at 10 mph. does that change anything?

I'm not sure what tcase was behind the 2.8 auto but maybe the chain is gettin loose and grinding on the inside of your case. it happened to me and ive seen it a few times at work. just on 231 or 242s though

if that were the case here, how would i be able to tell if it were the chain and how could i fix it?

Yea, I'll agree with the T-case chain :thumbsup:

But I would first check the trans mount to the motor, all bolts good and tight, and then check the flex plate to the torque converter, (them dang 4 screws can come loose)

i believe if u pull the frnt dshaft and spun the front output with tcase in 4wd and tranny in park u could check for slack.

Not that i recommend this but i put both ends on jack stands then fired it up put it in drive and let her go. then crawled under and listened. but once again i don't recommend this.

Didn't you say the noise is there when in gear but standing still? In that case it can't be the transfer case. Heck, it can't be anywhere behind the torque converter.

i sure did, so that makes things worse huh? :headpop:

My friend has a AWD dodge caravan with the same problem that we are currently trying to diagnose, is ur noise like a squeeking/grind type noise combo? Thats the best way i can explain this as well.

Smitty, does your steering wheel vibrate more than usual when your at a light in gear?

And does your exhaust sound like it has a leak in it?

And did you say it doesn't make the sound in neutral?

steering wheel doesnt move at any time. exhaust is new and has no leaks. there is NO noise in neutral. i still have to crawl under there and check those four bolts that wildman mentiones. i don't think that its something loose in the engine compartment because the noise is either behind me, or at least it sound that way. i can feel the vibe slightly in the seat when it grinds. there isnt any squeeks, and the grinding sound doesnt sound like grinding gears would, more like...hmm, well, if you took a ball and rolled it across your drop in bed liner really fast, does that make any sense at all?

yeah, the noise is less when I'm stopped, its quieter and on and off, then when i gas it, its constant to 5mph or 10mph depending on the incline. tranny shifts fine, no stumbles or hesitation, i don't have any lack of power....well i do but only because its a 2.8, not from the noise.