trex decking and an A-hole at the JY

a1awind

we go ahaead of schedule sunday and we were passing by, so i stopped at wagners truck salvage. (the office door was wide open and there were several el-camino parked about and the main gate was open)

looked at the comanche bed that was on the rack out front....surface rust.

i remembered the florida bed he had in the back. i walked into the office and to tell him i wanted to look at the bed in the yard. his son was in the office and told me that he was closed but i could go ask his dad who was outside working on one of the El camino's. the conversation with the old man went as such

Me : hey how are you... your son...

Him: (interrupting) we are closed!

Me : I'm sorry, you son had told me ...

Him: (angrly inturrupting) I SAID WE'RE CLOSED!!!!

Me: (walking away) Sorry to bother with you!

I don't need to deal with an a$$ like that for parts. the only reason i wanted a bed was to keep it original. but i thought there is a tasteful way to do wooden bed .....TREX DECKING!! has anyone done or thought of this? it comes in a few colors and might work with the metallic silver i plan on painting it.

we are trying to buy a house so the jeep is somwhat on hold right now so I'm in no hurry to make any kind of purchase

I think its a bad idea on the trex,, I mean wood beds are pimp,, and I think if you used that trex its well what I would call rice.. the whole purpose for the wood is its beauty.. like some sanded down cherry then with about 2 inches of poly dumped on top.. Back in the day yeah it what they had available,, but now days its the whole look,, and I know I can tell a difference in real wood and that plastic stuff...

As for the jy dog,,, well turn the other cheek,, dude mighta been having a bad day,, sounded like he was really into working on the el and probably pissed at his kid for allowing him to be borthered with,, or he could be just a d!jamminz.gifjamminz.gif thats what John Wayne would do... :D

TnT, ....love that idea! its a good way to butter them up.

jeff, this would be wagners truck salvage. its about 7 miles or so north of zelienople on rt 19 on the right.

JT,

i agree nothing would look as good as oak or cherry with varnish but i don't want to have to replace boards on this thing in 2 years. That was my thinking with the trex. durability

i agree nothing would look as good as oak or cherry with varnish but i don't want to have to replace boards on this thing in 2 years. That was my thinking with the trex. durability

I have to respectfully disagree. I build furniture for a living and deal mostly in oak. I love the grain, as there is almost nothing like it (except ash). Do some custome stuff in cherry and maple, but don't really like them, except for the smell when cutting or machining it.

But nothing I've seen beats black walnut. :brows: Not even oak, and definitely not cherry.

My F100 had a bed made out of 5/4 decking boards, stained early american (Minwax #230) and about 5 coats of poly. Why decking boards? Because pine lumber is CHEAP.

If I'd do a wood bed for a show truck, I'd probably go mainly oak with black walnut accents. All black walnut is not affordable.

I have to respectfully disagree. I build furniture for a living and deal mostly in oak. I love the grain, as there is almost nothing like it (except ash). Do some custome stuff in cherry and maple, but don't really like them, except for the smell when cutting or machining it.

But nothing I've seen beats black walnut. :brows: Not even oak, and definitely not cherry.

My F100 had a bed made out of 5/4 decking boards, stained early american (Minwax #230) and about 5 coats of poly. Why decking boards? Because pine lumber is CHEAP.

If I'd do a wood bed for a show truck, I'd probably go mainly oak with black walnut accents. All black walnut is not affordable.

But what do you think of that trex products?? My dad's a carpenter and has used that stuff.. he said its good for outdoors, but you still have to drill all the holes out and then use screws,,

I don't build furniture for and living (Any more) and used tons of Red Oak, But for outside mill work, White Oak is the species that you want to use. Black Walnut is also good, any hard wood that is "Closed Grain" is good for outdoor projects. Red Oak is "Open Grain"

Sample of White Oak on an out "door" project.

These were built last November.

But what do you think of that trex products??

My 2-cents, I don't like it, It holds up for ever, but it don't have the look like a real deck, and the cost of it, you can replace a wood deck every 20 years and be ahead $$ Plus it's very slippery when wet.

id like to see some wooden beds to see what i could do. I'm a novice at just about everything except driving. but you only get to do that when the vehicle is done.

have any of you ever had a wood bed on a truck .... how do they hold up? how ofter do you hve to rebuild? ....bear in mind I'm in the rust belt.

Me : hey how are you... your son...

Him: (interrupting) we are closed!

Me : I'm sorry, you son had told me ...

Him: (angrly inturrupting) I SAID WE'RE CLOSED!!!!

I would have then responded in a very calm voice;

So, are you telling me that your closed?

If more ranting came from him, I'd wait till he's finished to ask,

So, when will you be open?

There's nothing better to piss someone off even more than to be calm and annoying. :brows:

Anyway, I think if you did do the decking, make it so you could remove and install it in one piece. That way if you ever do get a regular bed, you could change them back and forth without much trouble.

:cheers:

I don't like composite or vinyl "lumber". It expands and contracts way too much with temperature changes, gets hot enough to burn you in the sun, and slippery as snot in the rain.

The wood bed on my F100 has lasted 12 years now. The back half of the truck lives on as a trailer, and the bed's still there.

When I drove it a lot I did have to redo the urethane on the sides every 50,000 miles or so as dust particles in the air would slowly sand it off.

And it's mounted to the stock holes in the frame using bushing from a gm sway bar link kit and carriage bolts. Undo 8 nuts and the whole thing lifts off the frame.

To the right of the Manche: