Frame breakage, pics included

And it is broke all the way around, i figure my best bet is repair what is there meaning fill the entire crack all the way around and then plate it with 1/4 steel

bottom

side

anyone have a similar experience? i will be doing this tuesday so speak up soon. please and thanks.

Corey

I broke off the lower mounting point for the trackbar...completely. but not THAT bad.

get two pieces of C channel, 2 feet long each. sleeve the frame, and redrill the holes. drill extra holes, and weld those holes up.

no vertical welds. angle every corner, and weld them at an angle. they'll tear otherwise.

ouch, what did you hit? That will take awhile to fix, from the looks of it.

i can't pin point all the damage on one particular obstacle because i noticed the steering wheel wasn't as responsive from the beginning of the day. i was wheeling all day on it and i'm guessing it was cracked already but then i came off of an obstacle and noticed my wheel was straight in my hands and the wheels were turned full clock to the right, i knew something broke.

To me it looks like you had rust issues, a steering box plate will help prevent that, but... you had other issues before hand. I don't know how much money you got tied up in your rig.. if it was me.. I would find another body and transfer parts

To me it looks like you had rust issues, a steering box plate will help prevent that, but... you had other issues before hand. I don't know how much money you got tied up in your rig.. if it was me.. I would find another body and transfer parts

No way, i'm not going to junk a vehicle because of this. This is a very common weak point for xj/mj once you have oversized tires, there isn't any structural weaking rust their either. This is a spot in the frame where it can be fixed relatively easily and once it's fixed it's never going to happen again.

here is one where rust was a factor

http://mrmontez2000.proboards70.com/ind ... 1203279578

the reason whY I said it looks like there was a rust issue is look at the edges. Since swapping parts is not an option, It might be best to try and get a piece of frame section from a salvage yard or parts jeep. You are definately going to want to sleeve it, and use lots of spot welds, as well as some stitch welding when doing the repair.

I persoanlly have bever seen a frame where it looks like it is cracked all the way around the frame. Some where on here, or on the net is a daigram of the MJ frame, with measurements (they are in metric), but this could give you a starting point to make plates to do the repair with out replacing that section of frame.