Front and Rear Main seal replacement

I've got the opportunity to do a bunch of gasket/seal replacements on my new engine while its still out of the truck... Do rear main seals go bad commonly?

if it's out, replace the rear main.

murphy's law will kick your butt if ya don't do it, and find out it leaks in 2,000 miles...

it's cheap-ish too. totally worth doing it now.

Be sure to use the new (95 and up) oil pan gasket. It's WAAAY easier with the new one-piece gasket than the old three-piece set that you had to glue together at the corners with RTV. If the NAPA listing doesn't show the new one as a supercede for the old style -- ignore the listing and buy the pan gasket for a 95.

Cool. Lucky for me cheap-ish becomes cheap when you get a NAPA employee discount :D

don't mess around with the seal. put a MOPAR rear main seal in it... for 8 bucks its worth the factory part.

but go with a fel-pro one piece oil pan gasket which i'm sure you can find from NAPA, thats the expensive part of the job.

On my stock height 2WD I jacked it up as high as I could and supported it by the frame to let the axle sag as much as possible and was able to get the oil pan out. I also removed the starter and steering stabilizer to give me more room. I still needed 1/8 inch but was able to force it past the transmission.

fel-pro one piece oil pan gasket which i'm sure you can find from NAPA, thats the expensive part of the job.

No kidding, that cost me $25 at Autozone, they had it in stock and I didn't want to wait.