Need a few suggestions

OK here's the deal. I got a new column, and doors. I want to get a key that matches everything.

The doors are the 97+ ones and the column is out of a 95-96 (it has the two sided key that opens everything)

Which way will be easiest to to get everything to the same key?

I have no key to the doors right now, but was thinking I could get the xj's vin and have one made from it. now that gives me two keys, but I want to go with only one, so do I get a new ign lock or new door locks??

Oh and I snagged the glovebox lock that matches the column..

Which way will be the easiest?? I don't know but think a locksmith can match my door locks to the ign key??

Maybe if I took the door to the dealer and said here dude I need a key for this,, here's the vin.. I am making friends with the parts fart at the dealer by the way,,, maybe he'll hook me up!!

But it still don't help me figure out which way would be easier to get a single key.. :roll:

A locksmith who does cars can make you a key for the doors or can rekey it to the key you have for your ignition. (My mate is a locksmith but he doesn't "do" cars).

This crackhead stole my keys this one time and I had to have a locksmith come out ,, the guy made me a key using the lock on the tailgate (96 Rodeo) , I guess I'll call him tomorrow to see if he can key the door locks to match me ign key...... I hope it works out and doesnt cost me a million bucks! :roll:

You can re-key to have them all matching, it's just a matter of how much you are going to pay for it to be done. As many people here know, I work in a Jeep dealership parts deptartment. I and one of only a few people in a parts department that know how to assemble/disassemble and re-key a lock cylinder to match other keys. If I were to do that job for the "average Joe" off the street (not a Jeep friend ;) ), it would probably be about a $100 - $150 job.

In this particular case, it would be simpler and less expensive to change the ignition cylinder to match the doors IMO. :cheers:

The glove box lock may be a different story. Some of those are made so that you can not take them apart without damage once they are keyed.

If I read this right, you DO have the key for the ignition??

The less expensive way would be to remove the lock cylinders from the doors, take the cylinders and the key for the ignition to a locksmith shop, and they will be able to 're-pin' the door cylinders to the "key" you have.

Should cost $6-8 per cylinder.

Then you have one key to operate everything ;)

Oh....and get a couple of keys cut and hide one, cause if you loose that one key........well, you'll be sol :roll:

The more work you do, like removing the cylinders from the doors, the less it will cost you. Time is $$$$ (For Others) :brows:

If I read this right, you DO have the key for the ignition??

The less expensive way would be to remove the lock cylinders from the doors, take the cylinders and the key for the ignition to a locksmith shop, and they will be able to 're-pin' the door cylinders to the "key" you have.

Should cost $6-8 per cylinder.

Then you have one key to operate everything ;)

Oh....and get a couple of keys cut and hide one, cause if you loose that one key........well, you'll be sol :roll:

The more work you do, like removing the cylinders from the doors, the less it will cost you. Time is $$$$ (For Others) :brows:

:oops: OOPS...you're right. I forgot he said he had "no key" for the doors ;) .

I don't know any locksmiths that work that cheap though. Any around here (including me) would charge at least $35 to do that job.

OK... I was thinking the same thing... The only key I have is for the column..

Now the big question here is... will that two sided key fit in the newer doors lock?? I guess I could try it in the door right quick huh... I'll do that today and call around to see what options I have around here..

I'd have to look it up to be sure, but I believe they started the two sided keys in '94 - '95 so you should be good.

EDIT: I just fired up my parts lookup system here at home and found that they started using the "double bitted" cylinders in 1991 :cheers: .

OK... I was thinking the same thing... The only key I have is for the column..

Now the big question here is... will that two sided key fit in the newer doors lock?? I guess I could try it in the door right quick huh... I'll do that today and call around to see what options I have around here..

AH.....yea.....that would be the right thing to do, make sure the ignition key will 'slide-in' the door cylinder :roll:

If not, you can order a pair of new door cylinders from Advance auto parts for like $18 and go from there.

And like I said, if you remove the cylinders, and a locksmith can re-pin on the bench, there a big difference in $$$$

We re-pin commercial door lock all the time, and it only takes about 5 minuets to do a key core. It's the time to take the lock apart, on the job, change out the core, and reinstall everything that runs the cost up ;)

I rekeyed the door locks and glovebox lock on my comanche to work with my 94 steering column...a few hours of time, and 3 sets of locks, made it work.

i needed multiple sets so that I could pull the pins from them and switch the correct ones in to make them work. good thing those are scrap items to my jy guy.

repinning the glovebox lock isn't hard. repinning the cylinders is moreso because you have to peel the "cap" off the cylinders, and crimp it back on. you also have to compress the pins equally so you can remove the pin carrier thing from the cylinder.

after that, a needlenose pulls the pins out, and pops them back in. cheapest way, and it worked. worse that could happen is you just use the older lock cylinders in the newer doors, and swap to the older column.

oh btw...if your new column is similar to your old one (i.e. no airbag) it's late 95 and earlier. 96 was airbag and completely different.

OK,,, well you were right Wildman (surprise yeh) ,,, 7 bucks to re-key the door tumblers at the local locksmith....

here's what all I found out today..

Went and talked with the parts guy at the dealer for about an hour..

I should be able to use my 95 key on the 00 doors.. BUT! the keys are different,,,

In 94-95 Chrysler/Mopar changed the keys from the gm style to the two (2) sided key.. then in 97 it changed again to a key thats cut seven times other then six (btw, the 94/95's are cut 6 times)

BUT,, the key blanks are the same through 94 to 04?? ,,when ever the last xj was put out..

I may have the year models a little off, but whatever years the keys for the xj became 2 sided.....

So this means the keys have the same slits on the side just an extra cut..

With this information I called the locksmith and explained to him the situation..

He told me if the blanks are the same all he has to do is code the tumbler to the 96's key and drop two pins out of the 01 doors lock cyl..

I still am going back to the jy to get the vin of the xj that lent me it's column.

Take the vin to the dealer and he told me he would make me a new key,,

remove the 01 doors lock cyl and take the new key with the tumblers to the locksmiths to get coded..

It was a great day!! The guy at the parts counter is starting to remember me ,,, He already knew what year and blank "J" I was working with..

jamminz.gif

I wanted to get my three MJs keyed the same (doors different than ignition/glove box) and I got a quote of $350! Needless to say they're still all different.

Jesus! you could send me your locks and keys and i can have this place do it for you!

But that price was only for the door lock cylinders. I'd guess the ign would be higher,, I'm sure its not fun going into the column to get the cyl out you know...

My dad manages alot of properties and he uses this place all the time.. They have a long and really good rep for locks, safes, and things in that nature. It might be cheaper if I had him to take the locks there too.. :dunno: