Got me a Laser...

BLHTAZ

...Thermometer that is... ;)

Got this one at Harbor Freight.

I wanted to check the engine temp on the MJ and see if the gauge was reading true. After driving it for about 15 miles, the guage was reading about 195/200. The block temp was between 206 & 215 depending on exatly where I pointed it, but it read 207 right on the head at the guage temp sender. The temp at the t-stat housing right on the fan temp switch was 178.

We were just talking about those not long ago..!! What do you think of the quality ?
So far...it's great. I have used it on everything including the rabbit that we have running around the house :D .

It's a blast...provides hours of pure entertainment :clapping: :rotfl2:

Maybe I could get one and when Wifey pisses me off, instead of yelling or getting in an argument, I just laze up my forehead and point the temp readout towards her. As she sees the numbers start ticking like pennies on a fuel pump, maybe she'll stop pissing me off in fear I'll blow up LOL :jump:

Maybe I could get one and when Wifey pisses me off, instead of yelling or getting in an argument, I just laze up my forehead and point the temp readout towards her. As she sees the numbers start ticking like pennies on a fuel pump, maybe she'll stop pissing me off in fear I'll blow up LOL :jump:

HF sometimes sells those heart rate monitors that you strap on your arm too ;) .

...Thermometer that is... ;)

I wanted to check the engine temp on the MJ and see if the gauge was reading true. After driving it for about 15 miles, the guage was reading about 195/200. The block temp was between 206 & 215 depending on exatly where I pointed it, but it read 207 right on the head at the guage temp sender. The temp at the t-stat housing right on the fan temp switch was 178.

I've been monitoring the gauge sensor closely since I finished up the electric fan install. My thermometer is an Actron infrared w. a laser pointer, and when my temp gauge is reading 200*, the sensor is reading about 195* w. the Actron. The thermometer consistently reads about 5* lower than the temp gauge, which I figured was logical since you are looking at the exterior shell of the sensor, not the hotter interior probe.

Yeah, but your gauge is reading a bit higher than the thermometer, so maybe you are not running as hot as indicated? Or I'm running hotter than I think I am. :nuts: But with such a small diff, no worries in either case me thinks.

yeah taz i remeber when i was a kid, my dad had the lazer in turd brown and my mom had a daytona turbo Z in black ....i remember the scraping noise it made as she pulled into the garage and the ground effects rubbed the concrete

Hey TAz, I just went out and got the exact same one. I think mine is off by like 10 degrees. I there any way to calibrate them?
How did you come to that conclusion? I don't know that there is a way to calibrate them, but I was going to check mine by boiling a pan of water and checking the temp of the water because we know the boiling point of water is 212 degrees ;) .

I hit the laser to all the thermometers I have scattered around my pizza shop's coolers and freezers. I was pretty close to 10* off on all the readings. I also did the water test with a thermometer in the water, and I took a reading in both of my ovens. I can mentally adjust for the differnce but it would be nice to get a correct reading.

yeah taz i remeber when i was a kid, my dad had the lazer in turd brown and my mom had a daytona turbo Z in black ....i remember the scraping noise it made as she pulled into the garage and the ground effects rubbed the concrete

I would love to have any of those cars, including the GLHS. one of these days i will find and buy the cherry one.

that laser thermomiter is sweet. we sell it at advance too, maybe I'll pick it up soon with the discount. ;)