anybody ever try one of these

My oil pan leaks out of where the drain plug is. I got one of these. You put it in and turn the wing nut and it pulls down and seal on the inside kinda like a wall anchor. Good or bad?

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I bought a rubber O-ring/washer thingie from the auto parts store. Cheap an effective and can't get damaged by road debris.

I've used the item you're looking at before to seal up holes in parts testing at a previous job. I wouldn't trust them to stay put in my oil pan.

Yeah I'd never use one either for very long. Maybe to get you where you need to be for a very short while. I just put one in my neighbors car and told him to not to trust it, but he's was "no the parts guy said these where popular and were good and a good replacement". Two weeks later he told me he was going down the load when his oil light came on, said that's never happened before, so he pulled over and checked the plug and it was long gone along with all his oil. :rotf: Just what I told him. So I'd say get new pan or pull the pan and weld a nut on the back so you can put a new bolt in there. But don't rely on that plug, or you will be sorry....... :teehee:

I used those and the other "expansion" type oil plugs in the past on older cars not worth the "Oil Pan Pull and Change or Fix" effort. They worked really well for years, through many oil changes. These cars never left level roadways! I would listen to the others and make the right fix effort if the truck does the off road thing.

NO way I would trust the lifeblood of my engine to be held in by one of those. I've used them at work a few times & if they aren't situated exactly right they will pop right out with a slight nudge. Not only that, I don't see how it would seal tightly into the threaded hole. Surely oil would seep past.

..."Not only that, I don't see how it would seal tightly into the threaded hole. Surely oil would seep past."....

...they are made of a soft rubber that really squishes into shape and conforms to whatever surface. I prefered the ones that have the "sheetrock" anchor that inserts through the hole and gives positive pressure from the inside.

Wouldn't hurt to keep one of those in the "trail pack", just in case you ever whacked the oil pan bolt and broke it or bent it. I had an extra in my trunk "back in the day" and a friends wife drove over a parking curb and actually ripped the whole bolt and welded nut out of the pan of her car, this little doo-dad worked enough to keep from having to pay towing to the autoshop. Not a permanent fix, but if you feel good about it's fit, it will work.