Just bought a 88 pioneer

yeahthat.gif

And not in a 2wd ether.

Unless some one transplanted something else in there before you got it.

Check your Vin, the 5th place letter will be -

G - 4-auto, column shift (2wd)

U - 4-auto, floor shift (2wd)

And the 4-auto = AW4 transmission.

The above is for 1987-88.

And how do you like owing a truck that's older than you :D

Well if it makes you feel any better your MJ was designed by AMC well before Chrysler came into the Jeep picture. 88 was the first year of Chrysler ownership, but your Jeep is still essentially an AMC product. My 87 still has the AMC logo keys. Since you're only 16 you may not know about AMC, but the American Motors Corporation was a great American car company and it's a shame they're not still around.

mine has the gm keys. well all but one. has a tringle on its side and a rectangal. took me a while to figure out why my chrysler(jeep) had gm keys. :nuts:

According to my local locksmith, the AMC ignitions did NOT use GM keys. They look similar, but if you look at good lock and key listings, you'll see references (perhaps in fire-print footnotes) to "AMC keyway" and "GM keyway." I don't know what the difference is, but I have been assured that there is a difference.

Here you go.. I got a new ign lock cyl for a s10 project I've had for a while, and just happened to compare a new key I got not to long ago.

If you look closely you can see the Jeep key has an extra cut along the top side of the key. I tried to see if the Jeep key fit into the GM lock with no success..

I have the GM lock cyl out of box if anyone has a Jeeps we could compare the whole cyl to see if the GM's cyl will fit in the Jeep's column.. Just an idea...

Image Not Found