22Rs

DirtyComanche

Yeah. The one I grabbed the tranny from had thrown a rod, and my neighbor (also my ex's parents) have a 88 Toy truck with the 22RE, I've been telling him for months that he's got a really bad ticking valve, but he won't do anything about it. Maybe he will when he sinks it...

The problem with Toyota motors is they over-engineer everything, so that brand new they make a lot of power, but once the bearings even begin to wear down or you get a little dust in the oil, everything goes to hell.

The way I remember the 22R's rep getting good was that it seemed able to go 150 - 200K when not much else would do so. But at the time, owners of American cars were just starting to be told to change their oil more often when these mileages were becoming known about. My dad had a couple 'yotas and use to rave about their engine life. Of course, he used to change their oil every 3-5K as opposed to 10-20K in the old Ford before them.

Those 'yotas were weak and used to do weird $#!& too.

My cousins bf gave me a history lesson on toyotas once, from beginning to end and basically he told me that the new tundra is the best pickup ever made. Hes one of those guys that thinks everything else is crap because its not toyota. I even showed him this pic, but he denied it being a toyota( i guess toyota drivers don't make mistakes).

Its just people being infatuated with crap that supposed to be perfect and has no low points.

My Cousin works for Toyota in Torrance Ca for the Warranty Department. My Brother in law owns a couple of Nissan dealerships here in the SF Bay Area, get a few drinks in 'em and I hear tales of the 22RE and the Nissan/Datsun L20B all night L O N G. :jump:

They do both have high regard for the AMC/Jeep straight six logevity but constantly criticize the gas mileage and the oil leaks. I love driving my MJ to family events as I am oftern an outcast because I don't drive a Frontier or Tacoma.

I personally like the 22RE. I think for a 2.4 it should get better gas mileage than it does, but it is fine in a light duty truck that will stay on road.

However, it isn't even in the same league as the 4.0. The 4.0 is regarded as one of the, if not the most durable and desireable off-road motors ever made by all types of automotive enthusiasts. And why would you even want to take it above 3k rpms when you have that much low end torque?

damned shame the 22re is a 2.4, eh??

it's a good engine, reliable, not enough power stock to break anything, and my 22rTe had 187k on it when i sold it, and at 12psi of boost, it would roll the 235s off at 15mph...

ohh and i had it hood deep in water numerous times while XJs were not running because of that marvel of junk engineering where the distributor was located... want to talk about poorly designed??

Like I said, unreliable. And they just won't accept that. They seem to think if you rev a 4.0 beyond 3krpm it'll explode on the spot. Uh-huh. I'd bet money on an abused 4.0 out-lasting any toyota motor anyday.

Won't explode, but they pretty much stop building power around 3000 RPM. Torque peak is well below that (except for the first couple of years of the HO). But they'll rev beyond 3,000. Just don't go to 6,000 if you haven't balanced and blueprinted it ...